What's new

F-22 crashes in Florida

No, never got involved with those guys, but I do know of them before they were declass-ed. Every branch of the military have its own version of 'foreign technology exploitation' office or division or whatever they want to call it.

United States Army Foreign Science and Technology Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Each office/division often times 'outsource' how they acquire foreign technology equipment. For example...When the Cold War ended and the Soviet Union collapsed, the former soviet states became owners of many high value hardware. So the CIA became the buyer and the USAF became the shopping cart via the C-5 Galaxy fleet. Many C-5s and C-141s were repainted to remove insignias and flown mostly at night to ferry every components of tanks, ships, aircrafts, and even ICBMs. Nuclear fission materials were purchased as well. Then those components were sent to the appropriate branch of service.

I was active duty when the USSR was still intact so a lot of Soviet Air Force parts were acquired through former Soviet customers such as Egypt. The Red Eagles were tasked primarily to operate and do some maintenance of Soviet gear to support their MIGs, but they were never tasked with the exploratory and exploitation mission, meaning how each component works; how to replicate its performance, meaning using US gear to replicate certain behaviors; and finally how to put an entire system together literally from a pallet full of 'stuff' and get it to work.

Adapting US gear to replicate Soviet hardware behaviors was my specialty. I worked in close relationships with many US company 'tech-reps', some of them recalled from retirement because many 'black boxes' were no longer in manufacture and the sub-contracting companies no longer exist, so we had to rely on these old guys to help us figure out how to modify their products. Most of the time, we had to use '50s and '60s technology because the '70s and later hardware were too finely manufactured and contained too much higher quality solid state components to allow modifications. Knowing how Soviet components behaves allowed US to reasonably accurately predict the limitations of their fighters under real world conditions. We could be wrong but back then, we were confident that if an air war were to break out between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, we would win with a slaughter.

How much of that know how went into modifying the F-16s/F-15s....and their later blocks?

No I dont have any experience in military aviation. But its a fact that the F22 has the highest crash rate in the USAF. It is also a fact that a 200 million dollar jet has never been pressed into active service. It is also a fact that it is an immature,new platform and hence probably unreliable.

Now what experience do you have with military aviation apart from PDF? I am sorry about my retort before, but pseudo intellectual BS ticks me off every now and then. Even if you are a guy that has flown an F18 for instance and worked in the airforce for 20 years, that still does not give you any credibility to say that the F22 which is a totally different platform is totally reliable. You are still a pilot with zero experience with the F22.

And even if you are a F22 pilot, all you can tell me is your experience in the few hours of flying that you have done. You cannot however comment on the software/technical aspects of the plane because its not in your expertise.

We can only go by data here.

gam was a technician.

F-22s have the most advanced piece of technologies incorporated, Pilot errors cannot be neglected such a sophisticated piece of technology needs to be mastered to fly I believe pilots are flying lesser hours on this particular platform.

A chafed electrical wire, which arced and led to an internal fire, caused an F-22A Raptor to crash at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., Nov. 15, 2012, according to an Air Combat Command Accident Investigation Board report released today.

The aircraft belonged to 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, and the pilot was the flight lead of a two-ship training mission. The pilot ejected safely, was recovered by Tyndall AFB emergency response members and sustained no significant injuries.

According to the results of the investigation, the cause of the mishap was a chaffed, positive generator-feeder wire that arced, burned through an adjacent hydraulic line, and caused the generator to go offline. When the pilot attempted to restart the generator, the ensuing arc ignited the misting hydraulic fluid and started a fire in the F-22's left accessory-drive bay. The fire compromised critical electrical and hydraulic systems that control the F-22 flight control surfaces, and led to an unrecoverable situation.

Additionally, based on the evidence, the board president found that the weather substantially contributed to the mishap. Specifically, a solid, undercast cloud layer did not allow for a visual-flight pattern, which affected the pilot's and radar controllers' recovery options.

The F-22 was destroyed, with total damage estimated at $149.6 million, including related equipment and impact site restoration.

Maintenance personnel have incorporated the investigation's findings into multiple recurring inspections of the entire F-22 fleet that ensure aircraft are operating at acceptable risk levels. Officials also are planning a permanent modification to the parts separating hydraulic and electrical lines to further minimize the chance of a recurrence of a similar event.

F-22 accident report released

any picture of the crash...

20113712_BG1.jpg

26706_305.jpg

F-22 Crashes Near Highway 98 In Florida

F-22-crash-site.jpg

By the way, the Aircraft crashed in November 2012!
It is the Board Finding that were released on August 09, 2013 saying a chafed electrical wire caused an F-22 Raptor fighter jet to crash.

Just an overhyped piece of trash with massive flaws (Rachel Maddow busted the myth of F-22 'superiority') :lol:

Just an overhyped piece of trash with massive flaws (Rachel Maddow busted the myth of F-22 'superiority') :lol:
Sure...Maddow said the F-22 can be compromised by rain...

f-22_winter_env_test_1280-914_zps8e61b4e7.jpg

f-22_wash_zps4e44cc3a.jpg

Would you mind contacting Maddow and ask this 'expert' to explain why is the USAF putting the F-22 into the wash and snow? :lol:

But if you are willing to put so much stock into a journalist, did Chinese engineers took lessons from American journalists to design the J-20? I hope so. :lol:

Would you mind contacting Maddow and ask this 'expert' to explain why is the USAF putting the F-22 into the wash and snow? :lol:

But if you are willing to put so much stock into a journalist, did Chinese engineers took lessons from American journalists to design the J-20? I hope so. :lol:

That's why Japan is looking for EF-2000 or Rafael and also Taiwan is also buying these...

That's because the F-22 is not stealth. Rachel has inside info on these matters. I will trust her anyday over a guy pretending to have worked in the military.

Back
Top Bottom