What's new

F-16 VS F-15

TR.1

BANNED
Reaction score
Before i used to think f-15 was way way ahead of F-16 however upon reading more i found that actually its not much behind and even some say its as good as F-15 . So i wanted to ask which is better overall after looking at includes costs, upkeep etc

150911_Tuaf-F-16_for-Israel.jpg

f15_eagle.jpg

Depends on the role, F-15 can fly higher, faster and for longer duration than F-16s with more payloads. F-16 is a cheap multirole aircraft, while F-15 is a strike aircraft.

i have read this on f.16 website on a compare and a guy states.

Here are the factors you mention:
1. F-15 has lower wing loading.
2. F-15 has higher thrust to weight.
3. F-15 has larger body and control surfaces.

Here's why the F-16 can overcome those factors:

1. Nominal wing loading is not a direct indicator of manueverability. In most WVR encounters, the F-16 horizontal tail is strongly loaded up, providing additional lift. The angle of attack will be lower as a result. The F-15 tail is down loaded, meaning the wing and fuselage must provide additional lift. The angle of attack will be higher as a result.

2. Thrust to weight is not a good indicator of energy loss during turning fights. (Thrust - drag) to weight is a better indicator. F-16 lower AoA results in less drag, while the F-15 higher AoA results in more drag. So the F-16 has better (thrust - drag) to weight than the F-15 and maintains higher energy.

3. F-15 larger body and control surfaces compared to weight are no better than the F-16. F-16 fuselage lift is very high, as much as 40% of total lift.

Two other items are important to F-15 vs. F-16 WVR capability, g limit and leading edge flaps. F-16 g limit is significantly higher than F-15 and is automatically limited. That means the F-16 pilot can pull right to the limit without fear of breakiing anything, while the F-15 pilot must monitor his g to prevent over g (and AoA). The F-16 LEF provides optimum lift for all A0A, while the F-15 has no such device.

The F-15 is a wonderful fighter, but in WVR fights, the F-16 can handle it (in most circumstances).

The difference is F-15 is basically a air superiority jet whereas F-16 is a good multi role. F-16 can hold up, mainily in WVR, but F-15 will rain you in BVR with more weapons, endurance.

what does WVR stand for? Dont f-16 have bvr missiles ? you can equip with Amraam missile etc .

I'm fairly sure that F-16 is more agile than F-15.

what does WVR stand for? Dont f-16 have bvr missiles ? you can equip with Amraam missile etc .

Within Visual Range.

(as opposed to Beyond Visual Range)

Yes but F-16 can use BVR aswell . Whats the longest NATO bvr missile and can f-16 use it.

beyond visual range F15 is superior

within visual range F16 can handle F15 if the pilot plays by his (aircraft's)strength

The difference is in roles.

F-15 = air superiority.

F-16 = multi-role.

By the way, there's also the F-15 Strike Eagle for longer range missions :D

F-15 is very expensive though, whereas the F-16 is more economical.

what missile does the f-15 use that f-16 cant use that makes it superior?

Both can fire the AMRAAM missile.

The F-15 has a bigger radar, and hence better at BVR combat.

Although, that is not to say it sucks at WVR engagements. It has a flawless combat record back in the 1st Gulf War. And most of the air-to-air engagements were WVR.

The difference is in roles.

F-15 = air superiority.

F-16 = multi-role.

By the way, there's also the F-15 Strike Eagle for longer range missions :D

F-15 is very expensive though, whereas the F-16 is more economical.

Both can fire the AMRAAM missile.

The F-15 has a bigger radar, and hence better at BVR combat.

Although, that is not to say it sucks at WVR engagements. It has a flawless combat record back in the 1st Gulf War. And most of the air-to-air engagements were WVR.

Don't forget that the F15 was involved in other conflicts besides Gulf War 1.

What Skull and Bones said. F-15 is air dominance fighter. It flights at high altitudes with high speed with powerful radar and kicking ***. It is also good for very deep strikes.

F-16 is good multirole fighter. It has more advanced aerodynamics with fly by wire, unstable and changing wing profile.

What Skull and Bones said. F-15 is air dominance fighter. It flights at high altitudes with high speed with powerful radar and kicking ***. It is also good for very deep strikes.

F-16 is good multirole fighter. It has more advanced aerodynamics with fly by wire, unstable and changing wing profile.

So F-16 is better in air to ground compared to F-15.

First of all you can't compare them or choose one of 'em. It's like Nebraska or Texas? But both are very good aircraft. F-15 is for Air Superiority. And the F-16 is a multirole fighter. If you really wanna compare them, my opinion would be this; F-15 is a 4th gen. fighter, but F-16I and F-16 Block 52+s are classified as 4,5th gen. Fighter, anyway think about what would happen if these Vipers and S Eagles co-operate together against iran,syria or even russia? They will wipe out their everything at once I guess. (Daddy's an enlisted in USAF)

Back
Top Bottom