What's new

Exports and imports: Trade deficit widens 16% to $14.1b

Other then that as a nation if we stopped drinking tea we could save a lot from the national exchequer. As much as we like blaming political parties for our problems Pakistan is number 8 in the world in tea imports.
Also action is needed to stop our reliance on importing edible oils which is our 5th largest import. A proper policy is needed which sadly no one is able to give us.

Don't need to stop drinking tea or using edible oil. Just produce it in Pakistan. Find a sustainable solution for the problem and not just a temporary fix. Tea can be grown so can oil seeds. Look at examples such as Olive production in India.

The whole of Thar can be changed into Olive production area. It would not require as much water as other crops either. SMEDA has feasibility studies for Olive production and a lot of other industries. Use this knowledge and produce something rather than complain. All the blame does not go to the government. Everyone need to admit their shortcomings and rectify them. Attitudes need to be changed if we are to succeed.

Don't need to stop drinking tea or using edible oil. Just produce it in Pakistan. Find a sustainable solution for the problem and not just a temporary fix. Tea can be grown so can oil seeds. Look at examples such as Olive production in India.
reducing reliance is what this is. I stated that in this quote
The whole of Thar can be changed into Olive production area. It would not require as much water as other crops either. SMEDA has feasibility studies for Olive production and a lot of other industries. Use this knowledge and produce something rather than complain. All the blame does not go to the government. Everyone need to admit their shortcomings and rectify them. Attitudes need to be changed if we are to succeed.
It has started on a small scale and is increasing which is why I did not mention it

Tea farms have been established near Shinkiari on Kara Koram Highway. Travelling on KKH the view of tea farms is beautiful. Although the taste of local tea is not as good as imported tea but it might improve in future.

Yes that is what I meant to say too. Reduce the reliance but I would like to see a long term fix. Hence I gave the suggestions and I am glad that these are already been worked on. These initiatives will not only create jobs but also reduce reliance on foreign imports.

edible oil and tea are 5th and 8th highest import respectfully which thus are something which will make a significant decrease in import bill.
Losing markets is due to lack of planning. Losing ground in textiles and software are both because of lack of electricity. I in no way defend what is going on in terms of governance here I reiterated that with some changes we can reduce our import bill significantly. Rather then just listing the problems there needs to be alternative plans to solve problems, because a decrease in imports and an increase in exports is what needs to be done. Think both ways.

many textile firms have already left due to lack of electricity.
tea, edible oil are an addiction changing it dynamics will mean higher smuggling and revenue lost.
govt should focus on exports

point is restricted econmy has never worked. ask that from all the countries who tried it and miserably failed

The statistics you shared for fiscal year 2014-15 are wrong because SBP says that from july-jan FY 15 exports of goods were 14.227$ billion and exports of services were 3.167$ billion and it means in total exports were 17.394$ and you are saying that from july-feb FY 2015 exports were just 16$ billion.????? See SBP website below:-

State Bank of Pakistan - Statistics and Data Warehouse Publications
probably services dont count as an exports.
regardless even if you are right the exports are stagnant with no significant improvements and trade deficit is increasing even though oil prices are falling

Accept your error i/o beating around the bush.
i am not the econmist ask the tribune.com.pk that why did they do the mistake.

i am the beating the bush. i think you misunderstood the purpose of the post
, we are not measuring no.s we are portraying a fact that exports are stagnant and imports are growing, i and people of Pakistan don't care if the figure are few millions or even a billion off the mark

if you think other wise, that our exporting are booming and will double as PML N is saying that please explain how it is going to happen when data is total contrast to it

probably services dont count as an exports.
regardless even if you are right the exports are stagnant with no significant improvements and trade deficit is increasing even though oil prices are falling

buddy you are right trade deficit is increasing.

I was just correcting the figures.

buddy you are right trade deficit is increasing.

I was just correcting the figures.
point is a few years back countries who had large deficit like india will turn around to be in positive this year due to massive fall in oil prices. this doesn't seem to be true for us, as our exports have been on stand still for 4 years now

point is a few years back countries who had large deficit like india will turn around to be in positive this year due to massive fall in oil prices. this doesn't seem to be true for us, as our exports have been on stand still for 4 years now

I just don't understand why we can't change our trade deficit to surplus. Mostly our imports consist of crude oil and furnace oil.

If we just use coal for electricity or hydropower for electricity or if we explore our own oil or if we convert thar coal into crude oil and use it instead of importing it then we can reduce billions of dollars import each year. If we attract manufacturing plants of cars in Pakistan then again we can reduce billions of dollars import. If we use our thar coal instead of importing coal again we can reduce billions of dollars imports. These things almost account to 45% of Pakistan import.

Tea farms have been established near Shinkiari on Kara Koram Highway. Travelling on KKH the view of tea farms is beautiful. Although the taste of local tea is not as good as imported tea but it might improve in future.
It can easily be improved by genetic mutations and with the use of fertilizers but tea is not the main import we need to worry about, Oil and vehicles are

It can easily be improved by genetic mutations and with the use of fertilizers but tea is not the main import we need to worry about, Oil and vehicles are
Yes Oil import takes up a large amount of our nation's foreign exchange. The number of vehicles manufactured in Pakistan is gradually increasing but we have a long way to go before we can start exporting them.

Back
Top Bottom