What's new

Experts blame India for prolonged flood in Bangladesh

Instead of just talking, BD should do some flood control measures such as raising the banks of the main three rivers by, say, 12m, and building sluice gates at the mouth of the distributory canals, etc. It is the only way to solve the issue, blaming India is not.
This I agree with. We shouldn't rely on others goodwill. Everyone is enemy and we should work to protect ourselves by taking measures, not by asking them to stop.

Frankly speaking nothing significant we have in the rivers from NE. Few minor level constructions are happening which will take years to complete.

It's a big time now to check the rivers of NE, like we have done for damodar. It has high potential of Hydel Energy.

As we say there is red alert for rain in North Bengal districts and Assam. Brahmaputra/Jamuna is expected to raise by 3 cm. Whole Assam and North Bengal is under water now.

Dada, Here is an obsolete list of MAJOR Dams and Barrages in just West Bengal, there are others like Gajoldoba Barrage and I haven't even mentioned the ones in Assam, Meghalaya and other NE states. I wouldn't call these "nothing significant" or "Few minor level constructions".

India is unilaterally and blatantly withdrawing water without regard to international upstream riparian conventions and laws.
  • Durgapur Barrage on River Damodar
  • Farakka Barrage on River Ganges
  • Tilpara Barrage on River Mayurakshi
  • Jaldhaka Barrage on Jaldhaka river
  • Teesta Barrage on Teesta river
  • Maithon and Panchet Dam on River Damodar
The more of these illegal barrages you have - the more the chances of flooding upstream of these installations.

But I guess the Chinese even further upstream will take care of these barrages and dams.

This I agree with. We shouldn't rely on others goodwill. Everyone is enemy and we should work to protect ourselves by taking measures, not by asking them to stop.
Thanks for the prudence. But, please note that we can blame India if it stops water during dry season. But, how can we do the same when it is monsoon and the entire north and NE India is under water. How can they stop releasing the water?

Previously, it was west Pakistan bashing and now it is India basing becoming part of our worthless political culture. We should protect our crops and lands by raising two banks of three major rivers by, say, 12m, and there will be no flooding. It should have been done long time ago.

Dada, Here is an obsolete list of MAJOR Dams and Barrages in just West Bengal, there are others like Gajoldoba Barrage and I haven't even mentioned the ones in Assam, Meghalaya and other NE states. I wouldn't call these "nothing significant" or "Few minor level constructions".

India is unilaterally and blatantly withdrawing water without regard to international upstream riparian conventions and laws.
  • Durgapur Barrage on River Damodar
  • Farakka Barrage on River Ganges
  • Tilpara Barrage on River Mayurakshi
  • Jaldhaka Barrage on Jaldhaka river
  • Teesta Barrage on Teesta river
  • Maithon and Panchet Dam on River Damodar
The more of these illegal barrages you have - the more the chances of flooding upstream of these installations.

But I guess the Chinese even further upstream will take care of these barrages and dams.
Maf bhai, maf karun bhul hoe geche.
Ami apnar sathe r torko korbo na, ja list ta dilen.
@Joe Shearer

Maf bhai, maf karun bhul hoe geche.
Ami apnar sathe r torko korbo na, ja list ta dilen.
@Joe Shearer

I get your point. The Damodar flows - has always flowed - into the Hooghly; short of flowing OVER the Hooghly, there is no way it could go from west of that river to east of that river.

In defence of @Bilal9, the Farakka, Jaldhaka and Teesta barrages do affect Bangladesh. Cut him some slack :D

I get your point. The Damodar flows - has always flowed - into the Hooghly; short of flowing OVER the Hooghly, there is no way it could go from west of that river to east of that river.

In defence of @Bilal9, the Farakka, Jaldhaka and Teesta barrages do affect Bangladesh. Cut him some slack :D

Yeah I didn't check the list completely for relevance before posting. Like I said Dada, Gajoldoba Barrage by itself is one of the major ones, other than Teesta Barrage further downstream closer to Bangladesh border. There are five dams and two barrages on just Teesta River itself in Indian territory. Since these were constructed unilaterally without consulting Bangladesh, and as Teesta is an international river, they will impact the relations between the two countries.

@Bilal9

Farakka has been one of the biggest hydrological blunders of our part of the country. We really need some sensible people in the West Bengal administration to think through what damage has been done, and to figure out how to undo it.

Back
Top Bottom