What's new

Expected feautures of JF-17 Block 3. Your take?

Israr Saeed

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
As things are getting heated up about the new JF-17 Thunder Block 3. I do not know whether info in this video is true or not.
If this is true then the future of JF-17 Block 3 seems promising.
This is a link of video I am talking about.

What would you say expert's?

The basic upgrade should concentrate upon the following:
1. Lighter Air-frame (us of composites)
2. More powerful power-plant
3. AESA Radar with HMDS
4. Full fly by wire (nothing about this mentioned in the video)

The more heavier weapons you mount on an aircraft the more sluggish it gets unless you enhance the performance envelope.

JF-17 in its Block II version has pushed the performance envelope to the limit specially in maritime strike role.

My 2C's Worth.

Almost all the goodies that brings closer or closes the technology gap between Rafale and JF-17 Block III, minus the payload and range of course.

1. IRST/LR
(similar to the J-10B/C)

screenshot-eng-chinamil-com-cn-2018-12-08-04-22-09.png

2. Side Stick
(similar to the F-16)

More composite materials instead of alluminium body. Makes it stealthy and light weight.

Chinese IRST. ( its very good for surprises)

New Landing gear to lift it off the ground its too low in my opnion when on runway. Also that enables more room for a cruise missile or a drop tank there.

Onboard oxygen generation system (may be, not as important)

Full Fly by Wire system.

Side stick instead of russian style mid stick.

Deployable parachute if engine or a component fails.. To decrease speed and tailspin mid air (safety)

1200 modules chinese AESA radar with atleast 225 km track/lock ability. Possibly both sides coverage too left and right of aircraft (chinese have the radar with these capabilities )

True fire and forget 170 km ranged air to air missle.
Chinese have Air to air missiles of 350 km range already but they are very long and huge . we need nerfed down Sd-10C perhaps.

Avonics that enable re-routing a cruise missle or air to air missiles fired by friendly jf 17 aircraft, chinese are experimenting with this.

Engine improvement to have thrust of 100 KN atleast.

Helmet mounted Display HMD, and a MFD glass hud from j-20.

Total integration with Beidu settalite Navigation system for navigation and weapon grade track/guidance. Its total blackout for enemy and extremely hard to jam, hack.

Lastly perhaps a dedicated EW jammer and disrupter variant that could possibly house reconicense equipment.

Agreed About the Aesa radar, more composites, and perhaps more fly by wire systems but I highly doubt PAF is going to be replacing the power plant. Though it would help greatly if we got a 100kn plus thrust engine.

Mach 2. Aesa,irst,upgraded bvr,composite material,powerful engines.new anti radiation missile.can carry long range anti ship missiles.new paint lol.

Lets not chock on our aspirations, its PAF which stuck us with 100s of F-7s and vintage Mirages in the first place (2019). Lets wait and see, hopefully Block-3 should surpass any current jet in PAF's inventory.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom