What's new

Exclusive: With Muslim Brotherhood crushed, Egypt sets sights on Hamas

ResurgentIran

Reaction score
(Reuters) - After crushing the Muslim Brotherhood at home, Egypt's military rulers plan to undermine the Palestinian militant group Hamas, which runs the neighboring Gaza Strip, senior Egyptian security officials told Reuters.

The aim, which the officials say could take years to pull off, includes working with Hamas's political rivals Fatah and supporting popular anti-Hamas activities in Gaza, four security and diplomatic officials said.

Since it seized power in Egypt last summer, Egypt's military has squeezed Gaza's economy by destroying most of the 1,200 tunnels used to smuggle food, cars and weapons to the coastal enclave, which is under an Israeli blockade.

Now Cairo is becoming even more ambitious in its drive to eradicate what it says are militant organizations that threaten its national security.

Intelligence operatives, with help from Hamas's political rivals and activists, plan to undermine the credibility of Hamas, which seized control of Gaza in 2007 after a brief civil war against the Fatah movement led by Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

According to the Egyptian officials, Hamas will face growing resistance by activists who will launch protests similar to those in Egypt that have led to the downfall of two presidents since the Arab Spring in 2011. Cairo plans to support such protests in an effort to cripple Hamas.

"Gaza is next," said one senior security official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. "We cannot get liberated from the terrorism of the Brotherhood in Egypt without ending it in Gaza, which lies on our borders."

Asked why Egyptian intelligence is not going after Hamas now, another senior security official said: "Their day will come."

Egypt accuses Hamas of backing al Qaeda-linked militant groups which have stepped up attacks against security forces in Egypt's Sinai peninsula over the past few months. The attacks have spread to Cairo and other cities.

Both the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas deny accusations of terrorism, and the Brotherhood says it is committed to peaceful activism. The group was ousted from power in Egypt after the military threw its weight behind street protests last summer.

Freely-elected president Mohamed Mursi is now on trial on charges of inciting the murder of protesters during his presidency. Egypt's military-backed government has cracked down hard on the Brotherhood, arresting almost its entire leadership and thousands of its backers as well as formally declaring it a terrorist organization.

But the situation is very different in Gaza, where Hamas, an offshoot of the Brotherhood, is heavily armed, has years of experience fighting Israel, and moves swiftly to squash dissent.

A Hamas official said the comments made to Reuters by Egyptian officials showed Cairo was inciting violence and trying to provoke chaos.

"We reaffirm that Hamas did not and never would intervene in the internal Egyptian affairs," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told Reuters. "No one should ever dream to weaken Hamas."

"A LOT OF ANGER"

So far, contacts between Egypt and Fatah have been limited to discussing ways to help Fatah undermine Hamas, said the officials. They declined to name Palestinians involved in those discussions or give details of how many meetings have been held.

Hamas keeps Fatah party officials under very close watch in Gaza. A senior Fatah official in the occupied West Bank, where the party is far more powerful, denied any plot to oust Hamas.

"There is a lot of anger in Gaza. People are suffering, but protest is not easy. We cannot hope that Hamas will vanish tomorrow," he said.

Hamas has an estimated 20,000 fighters, with another 20,000 in its police and security forces. Despite growing economic hardship in Gaza, the group can still draw on significant support from among the territory's 1.8 million people.

But Egyptian officials hope to exploit tensions with rival militant groups, even if there are no signs of major splits yet.

"We know that Hamas is powerful and armed but we also know that there are other armed groups in Gaza that are not on good terms with Hamas and they could be used to face Hamas," another Egyptian security source said.

"All people want is to eat, drink and have a decent living, and if a government, armed or not, fails to provide that, then the people will rise against it in the end," the source said.

"THE FIRST SPARK"

In early January, Cairo publicly hosted the first conference of a new anti-Hamas youth group called Tamarud, or rebel, the same name used by the Egyptian youth movement that led last year's protests against Mursi.

Members of the Palestinian Tamarud stood with the Palestinian flag wrapped around their necks to highlight what they called Hamas's crimes against activists in Gaza.

The event was attended by representatives from Egyptian liberal parties and Fatah.

"We support the movement and any peaceful movement against the cruelty of the Islamist group that is part of the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood organization," said Ayman al-Raqb, a Fatah official in Cairo in his speech at the conference.

The activists showed video clips of masked gunmen chasing and dragging away protesters, and posted banners showing activists who they said had been tortured by Hamas for their opposition.

The Gaza-based Palestinian Centre for Human Rights last year accused Hamas of orchestrating a fierce crackdown against activists suspected of trying to organize a Tamarud-like protest in November. It said some of those detained were tortured and the mooted rally never materialized.

Hamas has accused Tamarud members of being Israeli agents, but has denied allegations of torture.

Activists in Cairo have called for protests in Gaza on March 21.

Egyptian officials hope that future Hamas crackdowns may turn the tide against the movement's leadership.

"Surely, the world will not stand still and allow Hamas to kill Palestinians. Someone will interfere," said the Egyptian security official. "But so far we are only working on firing the first spark."

But officials also concede that the plan is likely to take years.

"The aid Egypt will mainly provide to the anti-Hamas groups will be logistical not financial. Tamaruds don't cost much," one Egyptian security official said.

TUNNELS

The plan to undermine Hamas reflects renewed confidence among Egypt's security forces after being sidelined following the fall of long-time president Hosni Mubarak in 2011. Senior security officials are now determined to eliminate their Islamist foes for good - inside and outside Egypt.

They were angry when Mursi became the first Egyptian president to meet Hamas leaders in the presidential palace. Mursi also sent his prime minister to Gaza on the second day of an Israeli offensive on the enclave in November 2012.

Many Egyptians believe the Brotherhood intended to give part of the Sinai to Hamas. The Brotherhood has consistently denied the allegation.

Mursi's administration did acknowledge the problem posed by the tunnels under the border between Egypt and Gaza. His national security adviser last year said the government was flooding a number of tunnels he described as illegal.

But the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and Gaza was kept open for much of Mursi's rule, allowing vital food and goods to flow into Gaza.

After Mursi's overthrow, the army took over command of the Sinai and started destroying hundreds of tunnels. No Hamas official has been allowed to travel into Egypt since then.

Last month, Egypt's public prosecutor accused Hamas of conspiring with Mursi and Iran to stage terrorist attacks in Egypt.

"We know Hamas is the Brotherhood and the Brotherhood (members) are terrorists and no country could develop with terrorists in or around it," the security official said.

Gaza prime minister and Hamas deputy leader Ismail Haniyeh has said repeatedly since July that his group is focused exclusively on confronting arch-foe Israel and has no armed presence in Egypt.

"We do not intervene in Egyptian internal affairs," he told supporters last month. "Egypt cannot do without us and we cannot do without Egypt. This historical, geographic and security link can never be severed."

However, an Egyptian security official, who declined to be named, dismissed his words. "They (Hamas leaders) can say what they want on their role in Sinai. We don't base our judgment on them, but on intelligence and information."

Exclusive: With Muslim Brotherhood crushed, Egypt sets sights on Hamas| Reuters

we dont ask for war we only wish to defend our homeland i really hope hamas stop looking at ideloagy and have the intrests of gaza people in mind when they act

we dont ask for war we only wish to defend our homeland i really hope hamas stop looking at ideloagy and have the intrests of gaza people in mind when they act

Hamas is ready to talk with Egypt on whatever matters it needs. Why brother is Egypt against such talks? Most of the accusations are not reliable either.

Palestinians and Egyptians are brothers and Hamas very well knows we cannot survive without Egypt. Egypt is our lifeline and tunnels actually improve Egypt's economy in the Sinai and benefit both of us in many ways.

As for some extreme minority groups Hamas has let them leave to Syria since they are headache for Gaza and Egypt. Hamas doesn't get along with group Egypt accuses of causing problems which is an Egyptian group with some members in Gaza. Trust me, these guys many of them are spending jail time in Gaza and have gotten in armed clashes with Hamas.

That being said, I think these are over the top unnecessary comments, such as hoping to 'light the first spark to the fire'. This is not in anyone's interests. And no major armed groups oppose Hamas. Hamas, Islamic Jihad and PFLP all stand united and don't seek destabilization in Gaza. No social groups have such influence and turned out to be a no show because everybody knows this is a game of politics.

I don't believe Egypt is serious about any of this, they want to present to the world that the protestors going to streets in Egypt are savage terrorists and that Egypt and it's military is fighting terrorism so they have to extend this argument to Hamas to make it appear as if this is the real case. They also gain support this way and it's a way for Sisi to pave his way to the presidency.

This however will not work as people will keep taking to the streets and Egypt will not be able to divert the situation on the ground.

Furthermore, Egypt has already said they destroyed the vast majority of the tunnels. So how is Hamas active in Egypt when Egypt is constantly regulating the border and region? And if they believe such things that Palestinians from Gaza are committing attacks in the Sinai then take those individuals to court. However, this is not the case, what Egypt's wants has nothing to do with national security. It's purely political but may also be strategic. This is a way to get Egyptian forces in the Sinai without Israel's permission and allows Egypt to be more flexible than ever before.

9 more tunnels destroyed by Egypt over the weekend to stop Hamas weapon smuggling to the MB and Sinai Bedouin terrorists.

Hamas barely has weapons for itself to smuggle weapons out to Egypt. You got me...:rolleyes:

The impoverished sieged Gaza Strip became a capable nation overnight.

It's time Egypt did something about Hamas who keep attacking Egyptian soldiers and helping MB launch attacks in Egypt.

Dear.. what ever you are Indian or British India.... MB hardly ruled Egypt, hence i see no justice in your claims of attacking Israel.
May guess, if they had survived any longer.... they may have lead to confusion and chaos all over the region, expect Israel.
Place where I come from, Army is always a better choice than corrupt and double faced politicians.
What amuse me most is sympathies of Iran regime with MB.

Hamas is ready to talk with Egypt on whatever matters it needs. Why brother is Egypt against such talks? Most of the accusations are not reliable either.

Palestinians and Egyptians are brothers and Hamas very well knows we cannot survive without Egypt. Egypt is our lifeline and tunnels actually improve Egypt's economy in the Sinai and benefit both of us in many ways.

As for some extreme minority groups Hamas has let them leave to Syria since they are headache for Gaza and Egypt. Hamas doesn't get along with group Egypt accuses of causing problems which is an Egyptian group with some members in Gaza. Trust me, these guys many of them are spending jail time in Gaza and have gotten in armed clashes with Hamas.

That being said, I think these are over the top unnecessary comments, such as hoping to 'light the first spark to the fire'. This is not in anyone's interests. And no major armed groups oppose Hamas. Hamas, Islamic Jihad and PFLP all stand united and don't seek destabilization in Gaza. No social groups have such influence and turned out to be a no show because everybody knows this is a game of politics.

I don't believe Egypt is serious about any of this, they want to present to the world that the protestors going to streets in Egypt are savage terrorists and that Egypt and it's military is fighting terrorism so they have to extend this argument to Hamas to make it appear as if this is the real case. They also gain support this way and it's a way for Sisi to pave his way to the presidency.

This however will not work as people will keep taking to the streets and Egypt will not be able to divert the situation on the ground.
my friend as i said before i am not your enemy all i want is Egypt and sainai be safe
but there are some things that i dont agree with you about like you think the west support the army and dont want the brotherhood to rule all across the middle east this is not true at all the west was happy when mubark was out but they untill this day back the brotherhood with words and actions like cuting the aid of course you notice every day they talk about Egypt it is not hard to see on who side they are

They have a surplus of weapons and you know it. You're on here all the time boasting about your love for the Mullah state which supplies your people.

The MB in Egypt have few weapons and are being supplied by your people.

No they don't have surplus of weapons, I've seen the situation on the ground recently.

my friend as i said before i am not your enemy all i want is Egypt and sainai be safe
but there are some things that i dont agree with you about like you think the west support the army and dont want the brotherhood to rule all across the middle east this is not true at all the west was happy when mubark was out but they untill this day back the brotherhood with words and actions like cuting the aid of course you notice every day they talk about Egypt it is not hard to see on who side they are

I understand we are not enemies, I see this as a temporary thing. And Hamas has been advised to not interfere or show support to MB. Problem is the people have bad experience with military regimes. Except when the situation was in chaos in 2011 tunnels were functioning more. We want Egypt and Gaza's stability and good economic state. Hamas has taken from Egypt's complaints and they now don't know what else to say. I think Egypt should join them and discuss this. It should start with Egypt opening the border and Hamas will cooperate on security with Egypt if this is what they want.

Once this happens they develop a relationship with local government. Hopefully the border crossings with Egypt and Israel can all be opened allowing them to be main sources of goods.

This would work for both of us. I can post you links for recent statements over the past month on wanting to resolve this issue. Do you think Egypt will take it serious if Hamas answers their demands? Which is honestly not security related but related to MB. If they somewhat disassociate themselves with MB in Egypt but ideology can't be discussed Hamas will always be an Islamic organization.

So why would the Egyptians out of thin air suddenly start to accuse Hamas?

You can't use the excuse of American pressure any more because Egypt and America are not on the best of terms.

Could it be that finally the Egyptians have woken up and realised that the 'palestinians' have been undermining Egyptian security for years?

Have you forgotten past incidents of Egyptian border guards being shot by 'palestinians?

Hamas are totally isolated. They've had to go running back to the Mullahs and kiss their feet.

You acted out against Jordan, Lebanon, Kuwait, Egypt, Syria, Israel and each other. You're in perpetual conflict because you fucking love it.

Mozambique Drill?
Jesus, must be your 20th account. Whats the matter, are you too much of an animal to sustain only one account and not get banned? I think so

I understand we are not enemies, I see this as a temporary thing. And Hamas has been advised to not interfere or show support to MB. Problem is the people have bad experience with military regimes. Except when the situation was in chaos in 2011 tunnels were functioning more. We want Egypt and Gaza's stability and good economic state. Hamas has taken from Egypt's complaints and they now don't know what else to say. I think Egypt should join them and discuss this. It should start with Egypt opening the border and Hamas will cooperate on security with Egypt if this is what they want.

Once this happens they develop a relationship with local government. Hopefully the border crossings with Egypt and Israel can all be opened allowing them to be main sources of goods.

This would work for both of us. I can post you links for recent statements over the past month on wanting to resolve this issue. Do you think Egypt will take it serious if Hamas answers their demands? Which is honestly not security related but related to MB. If they somewhat disassociate themselves with MB in Egypt but ideology can't be discussed Hamas will always be an Islamic organization.
i am just an ordinary Egyptian i am not in the government but i think all we want is secuirty we have no problem with hamas being islamic orgnization Egypt is about 90 percent muslim

i am just an ordinary Egyptian i am not in the government but i think all we want is secuirty we have no problem with hamas being islamic orgnization Egypt is about 90 percent muslim

I know you are ordinary, I am ordinary too, we ordinary people can get along. I'm just not convinced that the Egyptian government and military wants what we want. As for Hamas, they have no choice, they have to cooperate with Egypt but Egypt is refusing to cooperate with them in any aspect unfortunately.

@al-Hasani @Arabian Legend @JUBA

What are your thoughts on this?

Banning the party is not the way forward if you ask me. But I believe that we discussed this before. As long as our Egyptian brothers, sisters and neighbors are moving forward and Palestine of course I am happy. Those are internal policies that I am not a part of.

It is also a quite sensitive area for all parties so I leave it for them and wish them the best.

Back
Top Bottom