What's new

Exclusive: Brazil closer to Boeing on jets deal after Biden visit

Indeed- it seems a different plane is declared winner every few months depending on the prevailing poltical/diplomatic wind of the incumbent govt. say what you will about the MMRCA but politics were well and truly left out of it.

At least in the decision making of the winner, the decision to move from MRCA to MMRCA on the other side had mainly political reasons. However, another clear difference to the Brazilian competition was the lack of politicans that openly announced favourites.

Something interesting that I found on a Brazilain site:

Recalling the proposal from Boeing for FAB:

(Remember that the list below was obtained from the Pentagon notified the U.S. Congress. Contents probably been modified to better in later revisions)

Supply of 28 F/A-18E Super Hornet F/A-18F Super Hornet and 8, 72 F414-GE-400 installed engines, spare parts and weapons for $ 7 billion.
4 engines F414-GE-400 for replacement
36 AN/APG-79 radar
36 M61A2 20mm cannons
36 AN/ALR-67 RWR (V)
144 LAU-127 launchers
44 Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing Systems (JHMCS)
28 missiles AIM-120C-7 AMRAAM
28 AIM-9M SIDEWINDER
GBU-31/32 60 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM)
36 AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapons (JSOW)
10 AGM-88B HARM Missiles
36 Pods AN/ASQ-228 (V2) Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared (ATFLIR)
36 AN/ALQ-214 Radio Frequency Countermeasures.
40 AN/ALE-47 Electronic Warfare Countermeasures Systems
112 AN/ALE-50 towed decoys

Poder Aéreo - Informação e Discussão sobre Aviação Militar e Civil

Not the latest versions and clearly inferior to MICA, METEOR, or Scalp that are on offer with the Rafale, but quality has it's costs.

At least in the decision making of the winner, the decision to move from MRCA to MMRCA on the other side had mainly political reasons. However, another clear difference to the Brazilian competition was the lack of politicans that openly announced favourites.

Something interesting that I found on a Brazilain site:

Poder Aéreo - Informação e Discussão sobre Aviação Militar e Civil

Not the latest versions and clearly inferior to MICA, METEOR, or Scalp that are on offer with the Rafale, but quality has it's costs.
Somthing that always surprises me is the costs of such small deal-$7 BN for 28 planes and support packages with the MMRCA having ~5 times more units but the deal isn't worth $35 BN- AFAIK. I know economies of scale come into it but still it always surprises me.

Yes ,now it seems that Brazil will choose US aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom