What's new

"EU needs defence force 'under Union command' "

flamer84

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Romania
"Europe should create a civilian and military crisis operations HQ under EU command, according to a report by centre-right MEPs.

The proposal, contained in a policy paper published on Tuesday (3 September), by deputies from the European People’s Party, the largest group in the assembly, said EU "heads of state and government have to start building stand-by forces under Union command."

It called for EU leaders to commit themselves to defining the union’s security interests, prioritising its strategic objectives and linking these with operational deployments."

"In a nod to this, the MEPs described it as an "unacceptable situation to have 10 different versions of one European attack helicopter or to have six different versions of one European military transport aircraft."

The commission's "ideas paper," also designed to feed into the summit talks, called on member states to review national defence capabilities and to identify what is hardware is needed for the protection of EU countries' interests."

Source:

EUobserver.com / Defence / MEPs: EU needs defence force 'under Union command'

P.S. I've read the comments on the article,the same old brits are there to moan and b itch about the EU,i hope they vote YES in 2017.We will miss them...:wave:

I for one cannot wait to see Germany's air defence industry re-established.

I for one cannot wait to see Germany's air defence industry re-established.

As one guy told me once :'With the EU, Germany will build herself an army manned by non germans".If soldiers will be recruited to serve only the EU it's safe to assume that many if not most of them will come from Eastern Europe because it's very likely that people from there will enlist for the wages more then westerners.

Eventual possible threats.Just because there is none today,history teaches us that there might be one tommorow.

There's NATO for that.
nato_5207.jpg

Dutch want Indonesia back :P :devil::)
With what? :P

Its a good idea... it will bring down the cost of maintaining forces... also it will reduce chances of europeans killing each other

Its a good idea... it will bring down the cost of maintaining forces... also it will reduce chances of europeans killing each other

Oh come on,we had some conflicts in the last centuries and now we never hear the end of it.Who didn't on this planet ? :P

On a darker side it raises the chances that a military behemoth may be put in the hands of a selected few,let's hope it doesn't get to that.EU commisioners should be apointed on popular votes before getting to control such things as a european unified armed force.

1.NATO services american interests not Europe's.

2.With eastern european soldiers manning german made war machines.:cheesy::laughcry:

Against who? If there's no enemy in sight creating another organization on top of an already existing one doesn't seems justified.

Against who? If there's no enemy in sight creating another organization on top of an already existing one doesn't seems justified.

I think Europe should leave NATO.On the top of my head,for example,the russians are getting pretty noisy lately,you never know when they'll have it in their mind to storm their way through Europe,they've been doing that for the last 400 years every couple of decades or so,it's like they're programmed to do it. :P....Better safe then sry,i guess.

I think Europe should leave NATO.On the top of my head,for example,the russians are getting pretty noisy lately,you never know when they'll have it in their mind to storm their way through Europe,they've been doing that for the last 400 years every couple of decades or so,it's like they're programmed to do it. :P....Better safe then sry,i guess.

Stopping Russian invasion is pretty much the reason why NATO exist in the first place!

A united European forces is a romantic idea, but its still just a romance. This probably your expectation about the EU forces:
EA @ gamescom 2013 Live - C&C EU Faction Trailer - YouTube

The creation of a EU armed forces is good on paper, but it will be extremely hard to achieve. Which bring this new question:

What's the Point?
(if there's already an Organization that does that & more)

I think Europe's decision mechanism is a bit sluggish. Look at the last Syrian issue. England doesn't want to involve. France is very eager to get involved. First Europe should sort out the differences between them. Learn, how to act like a one fist.

Only after than a united defense force would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom