What's new

Ethnic clashes erupt in Afghan capital

paksarzameen

New Recruit

Reaction score
KABUL — Ethnic unrest broke out on the outskirts of Kabul Friday after about 200 Hazara villagers allegedly burnt down the hilltop mud homes of Pashtun nomads in an argument over land.

Witnesses said several people were injured in the violence.
More than 300 police and army fired bullets into the air and used batons to disperse about 200 Hazara men who had apparently forced Pashtuns from their homes in the foothills of a mountain above the Hazara villages.
Crying women and children were among the hundreds who abandoned the homes, which an AFP reporter saw in flames, surrounded by police and army.
No injuries were officially reported but an AFP reporter at the scene said at least three wounded were taken towards the city in police vehicles.
“The Pashtuns fired at us as we arrived there,” Ghulam Sakhi, a Hazara elder, told AFP. “We deserve the land. We own it, why should the Pashtuns have it?” he said.
Pashtun elder Mohammad Omar said the Hazara had “forced us out of our homes” and burnt them down.
Pashtun nomads, estimated to number 2.4 million, move around Afghanistan in search of pastures for their caravans of camels, sheep and donkeys.
They come mainly from tribes that dominate southern and eastern Afghanistan and sometimes clash with other ethnic groups as they travel.
There has been no significant ethnic unrest in Kabul since the civil war of the 1990s, but there were heavy clashes earlier this year between resident Hazaras and Pashtun nomads over pastures in Afghanistan’s central highlands.
Similar clashes have broken out in central Wardak province each spring since 2007, reportedly leaving several people dead

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Display...rnational_August659.xml&section=international

Last edited:
Just a taste of things to come, and a glimpse of the past...

Can't wait to see which ethnic group claws and bites itself to the top of the triangle once there aren't foreign troops around to keep an eye.

Well. i hope one day they think of making political parties to represent their regions & ethnicities and they all try to find their share through democracy or any other form of government with the consent and proper representation of them all.:pakistan:

Can't wait to see which ethnic group claws and bites itself to the top of the triangle once there aren't foreign troops around to keep an eye.

Pakistan has also ethnic clashes as other parts of the world. This may have been isolated clash. May be we have political differences with Afghanistan but millions of Pakistani have family roots in Afghanistan. This is not nice things to say to fellow Muslim and our brotherly neighbors.

thanks for the nice comments. now we know why some of you dont want foriegn troops in the country.

Its kind of sad how the US is pouring in Billions of dollars and trying to establish a decent government and can't find a single decent person to represent Afghanistan who they can assign governing responsibilities to, every person remotely in power is an ex-warlord...

The moment the US leaves, Afghani's (not trying to generalize, I find majority of the Afghans to be extremely peaceful especially the Farsi speaking) will go back to cutting each others throats, and will have missed their best chance at prosperity and THAT will be a shame.

thanks for the nice comments. now we know why some of you dont want foriegn troops in the country.

Bro Its a fact of life that Afghans band in different ethnic groups and historically have not gotten along especially over the past 3 decades. Tell your people to stop massacring each other and the problem will magically be solved...magically.

Seriously I don't want to see bloodshed in Afghanistan but it's a reality.

Pakistan has also ethnic clashes as other parts of the world. This may have been isolated clash. May be we have political differences with Afghanistan but millions of Pakistani have family roots in Afghanistan. This is not nice things to say to fellow Muslim and our brotherly neighbors.

Not a nice thing to say? Am I the one going around and mowing innocent people down? I am merely stating a fact that I have observed of the Afghan nation. The Pakhtun hates the Tajik, Uzbek, Hazara, Turkomen. The Uzbeks and Tajiks some times get along with each other and Hazara and Turkomen but usually not.

It might not be a nice thing to say but its the truth and utter stone cold reality. They didn't start killing each other when I came and made this observation on this thread.

Bro Its a fact of life that Afghans band in different ethnic groups and historically have not gotten along especially over the past 3 decades. Tell your people to stop massacring each other and the problem will magically be solved...magically.

Seriously I don't want to see bloodshed in Afghanistan but it's a reality.

It is not about what the ground realities in Afghanistan is, I refered to your post, look at what you wrote:

Back
Top Bottom