What's new

Equipment Acquisition by the Indian Army

1nd1a

Reaction score
The Indian Army has not procured or introduced into service a major item of modern equipment for at least the last decade. This inability or unwillingness to acquire new equipment has created major voids in the combat capability of the Army. Major cases in point are the repeated trials without a decision for the 155mm towed howitzer; night vision in battle tanks is seriously deficient; there is no light vehicle to replace the erstwhile Jeep and Jonga, the list is long. Most equipment has crossed their useful life both in wear and tear as well as technology. The weapons and equipment continue to remain in service due to constant refurbishment and overhaul, in some cases the life of the equipment has been extended way past the time recommended by the manufacturer. This worn equipment coupled with substandard locally manufactured spares has resulted in a dangerous situation where the hollowness could be exposed in war.

These equipment and hence combat deficiencies stem mainly from a flawed acquisition process. This acquisition process has resulted in so many false starts in procuring major systems that the credibility of the Indian Army in this respect is now being questioned by the fighting man as well as vendors. This was illustrated by a major western artillery gun manufacturer walking away last year from the bidding process for yet another trial for the 155mm howitzer. Preparing a bid or taking part in an equipment trial costs the manufacturer a substantial sum whereas for the Army it is ‘no cost no commitment’. This ‘no cost no commitment’ concept fosters a fundamental lack of responsibility and accountability at Army HQ and in trial units.

Unless there is a serious relook at the process, these deficiencies will increase to an extent where it will not be feasible to rectify them in a hurry at the time of an imminent war. Every time we have been on the brink of war or engaged in conflict we have embarked on a series of panic buys under the garb of ‘fast track purchases’.

Sending the Indian Army into war unprepared with the required wherewithal has almost been the norm since independence. It first manifest itself in 1962 where troops were inducted into high altitude in summer clothing with primitive weapons to fight a far better equipped Chinese Army, the result is painful history. This hasty buying continued when the Siachen and Kargil conflicts commenced, more than 80 percent of the casualties in Siachen were due to the ill equipped troops being exposed to the extreme conditions prevalent at those altitudes. Severe shortages in weapons, ammunition and equipment have plagued the Army in counter-insurgency operations and in the run up to any recent conflict including Operation Parakram when the Indian Army was deployed consequent to the attack on Parliament. Despite this seeming apathy in providing him the best equipment available the indomitable and intrepid Indian soldier willingly faces adversity whenever duty demands.
If we are to stem this rot, and rot it is, we urgently need to relook at our acquisition process. Major aspects of the acquisition process that need to be introspected upon are elaborated below.

Procedures at Government Level

Defense Procurement Procedure ( DPP) The DPP was the outcome of the Kelkar Committee, it was promulgated and put into effect in 2002. Since then it has been amended and modified from time to time with the latest version being issued in 2011. The DPP was made to ensure transparency and objectivity in what was considered at that time a corrupt acquisition process. What has actually happened is that it has resulted in such a rigid procedure with so many checks and balances that, many suspect, it has become self defeating. It is nearly impossible for an organization to follow such elaborate steps in equipment acquisition and hope to acquire anything in a meaningful time. The DPP must have inherent flexibility and approval mechanisms to allow for mid course changes in technology or threat perception.

Foreign Direct Investment

The Government has mandated a FDI of 26% in defence manufacture. At this level of investment foreign firms are reluctant to part with high end technology which has been very expensive to develop and not yet been amortised over adequate number of equipment sales. This results in relatively older technology being brought in by foreign JV partners. This is an important factor in preventing the development of Indian defence industry. There are pros and cons of increasing or decreasing FDI, but unless the return is commensurate to the investment, foreign firms are unlikely to put their best technology foot forward. This needs a serious rethink.

Technology Vs Acquisition Cycle

Today technology progresses at a rate much faster than the 4 - 6 year acquisition cycle given in the DPP. The cycle is so rigid that mid course changes in the requirement in keeping with advancing technology are extremely difficult or nearly impossible to effect. Due to this, equipment may be already outdated by the time it is introduced into service, particularly if the acquisition process is delayed (as it invariably is). The only way out of this is to hasten the acquisition and to freeze technology at critical stages of development or acquisition, with new technology being introduced in subsequent models of the same equipment.

Availability of Technology

Due mainly to the point given above, Indian Defence manufacturing is limited to tier two and tier three components, these are largely small parts or non technology intensive components. The Indian defence industry is quite some distance away from developing and integrating major sub assemblies or complete systems. This is compounded by a misplaced security concern that does not allow Indian firms entry into certain components of defence equipment (ammunition, explosives, gun barrels, etc.). Foreign firms have an edge over their Indian counterparts in this regard. If we are to obtain self sufficiency in defence manufacture, then private Indian industry must be allowed the ability to manufacture various components.

Long term Acquisition Plan

An army’s equipment profile is based on the immediate and foreseeable threat to the nation and the national aim and intention in mitigating such threats. This analysis would then indicate the equipment profile for the three services and each arm or service in the army. Currently there is no indication of such an analysis based balanced equipment profile in the short and long term. The outcome is that each arm or service muscles in to grab a slice of the budget pie, reducing most acquisitions to personalities and ad hoc demands that are not related to the threat. In any case the Army five year plans are usually approved at the end of the plan period, introducing yet another variable. There is an urgent need to have a equipment profile plan that balances the various threats we are facing and are likely to encounter in the near future. Equipment acquisition must move away from the budget cornering turf wars of the arms and services.

Defense Offsets

The DPP imposes a liability of 30 percent offsets on foreign defence suppliers, in large deals this is a considerable amount. (Think USD 3 billion in the current MMRCA deal) There are those who opine that the Indian defence industry is not yet ready to absorb such huge offsets, deterring foreign suppliers from participating in big deals. Last year a particular helicopter manufacturer announced in the media that they were apprehensive of being able to fulfill the offset obligation and would not, therefore, offer their equipment. Alternative means to absorb such huge offsets need to be found.

Indian Army Procedures

The procedures followed for acquisitions within the Army too need a relook as they inhibit realistic procurement. Some of the stumbling blocks are described below.

• Officers Tenure Vs Acquisition Cycle. On an average an Indian Army Officer has a staff tenure of 2-3 years in Army HQ. This includes officers posted in various procurement directorates like the Weapons and Equipment Directorate (WE). The time schedule in the DPP for acquiring major equipment is 4 – 6 years, considerably longer than the tenure of the officers responsible for its acquisition. During the acquisition cycle two or three officers deal with the project with each new incumbent perceiving that the technology being acquired by his predecessor is either inappropriate or outdated, starting the acquisition cycle all over again. There is a need for the Army to appoint a Project Manager for each acquisition; such an officer must have the technical capability and tenure to see a project through to its logical conclusion.

• Unrealistic GSQRs. Equipment is procured based on a General Staff Qualitative Requirment (GSQR) which in turn is derived from an analysis of the operational needs of the Army. Most GSQRs are badly thought out and are technically unrealistic; being often the mere aggregate of technology gleaned from glossy defence magazines. Good defence manufacturing companies hesitate to respond to such GSQRs and the ones who do are unable to meet the requirement, the outcome of which is repeated trials which invariably fail. A GSQR must be based on threat and envisaged usage of the equipment. It must avoid fundamental development as far as possible. In major equipment ground up development is an expensive process and without an assured return manufactures would be reluctant to sink in large funds. In most cases modifications to off the shelf equipment would suit our needs.

• Lack of Technological Knowledge. Many officers dealing with acquisition lack technical capability or knowledge of the equipment they are to acquire. This is aggravated by the fact that traditionally in the Indian Army high profile officers do not generally get posted to departments of Army HQ dealing with acquisition. This absence of technical capability coupled with mediocrity of the officers posted serves to retard any acquisition program. Equipment procurement is a vital function which needs to be given due importance in terms of the qualification and capability of the officers entrusted with this important task.

• Trials. The procedure for trials laid down in the DPP and by Army HQ directorates is long and laborious with equipment having to be tried in all conceivable terrain in every season. Often the prospective equipment is tried in conditions and in terrain for which it is not intended resulting in failures of equipment and retrials. Trials are conducted subjectively by officers who often are not trained on the equipment being tried. A dedicated trial unit of suitably qualified and competent officers would infuse a uniform standard of conduct which is fair to all parties.

• Decision Paralysis. Large defence buys are big ticket transactions which are invariably drawn into the political arena and can easily become the subject of financial scams both real and perceived. Sensitivity of officers to being accused in a scam has resulted in decision paralysis in the army. Ever since the Bofors scandal, procurements by the Defense Ministry have continued to be mired in controversies. CAG and CVC reports bundled with CBI investigations have now regrettably become routine with the defense purchases. In such an environment of intense suspicion, no decision is the best decision, resulting in no acquisition. There is no easy answer to this, however if personnel with proven integrity are assigned this task, they can be insulated from such pressures.

In concluding I quote Winston Churchill “The Armed forces are not like a limited company to be reconstructed from time to time as the money fluctuates. ------ It is a living thing. If it is bullied, it sulks, if it is unhappy it pines, if harried it gets feverish, if sufficiently disturbed it will wither and dwindle and almost die, and when it comes to this last, serious condition, it is only revived by lots of time and lots of money.”

He could have been saying this about the Indian Army today.

Article is written by Brig (retd) Xerxes P. Adrianwalla.

India Defence - Equipment Acquisition by the Indian Army

:sniper:

I found this article really interesting and very truthful. We have discussed almost every point in different post but not at a single place. IA is the slowest while IN is going great guns. IAF is also moving well with about $ 25 billion deal in last 5 years.

I think its time that we finalize howitzer, finish F-INSAS and other modernization plan quickly for IA.

Hi 1nd1a,

I also found another article, which goes with current article. Giving it below

New Delhi: Once again opposing the proposal for a five-star officer as the chief of defence staff (CDS), the Indian Air Force (IAF) chief, Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik, said Tuesday the armed forces did not have the IT-networking capability to support such a system.

"CDS in its present form is not acceptable to me. I do not think that for the next five to 10 years, CDS is required in the Indian context," Naik, who retires July 31, said at his farewell press conference here.

"At the present moment, we do not have the technology to have a CDS. The technology is coming up in the form of IACCS and other such systems. Once we have that technology, in five to 10 years, once again we can think if we need a CDS or not," he added.

IACCS refers to the Integrated Air Command and Control System that the IAF is in the process of establishing and which will enable real time communications between top commanders and front-line units. The Indian Army and the Indian Navy are working on similar systems. Once all three are integrated, the armed forces will be said to have network-centric capabilities.

The creation of a CDS, a single-point adviser to the country's political leadership on all matters military to ensure synergy of armed forces operations, was mooted by the K. Subrahmanyam committee that reviewed the deficiencies during the 1999 Kargil war with Pakistan.

As a prelude to the CDS, India had created the Integrated Defence Staff headquarters and appointed a three-star officer to act as an adviser to the chairman of the chiefs of staff committee (COSC), a panel the comprises the chiefs of the army, navy and air force.

Naik is the present chairman of COSC, being the senior-most military officer of the country.

Naik reasoned his opposition to the creation of the CDS by noting that Indian military operations will be restricted to the country's shores and will not extend to thousands of miles, as is the case with the US' operations, when theatre commanders are required to manage the wars.

"And synergy among the three services since 1947 has been extremely good," he said, a key issue flagged by the Subrahmanyam committee.

"I do not wish to have a CDS in the present format, as it will be only an additional appendix. If at all CDS is to be formed, we have to decide if we require it. There has to be a national debate on this, as there are various models of CDS.

Naik had in a recent seminar on defence reforms openly voiced his opposition to the CDS. The government was yet to take a decision on the appointment, citing lack of political consensus.

What is happening with the fund that is assigned to IA in defence budget ? IA receives largest funds but don't spend anything. We need everything in the army and funny thing is our President said a few months back that our army should be ready to face any challenges but the thing she does not knows is our infantry uses WW II era equipments. Most of our MBTs cannot work in night, hell we still operate t55 and if it was upto our govt. we will still be operating WW era Vijayant. Except 300-400 bofors rest of our artillery was purchased in 1960s. Air defence systems have also crossed their life. ATGM shortag is also very huge. Helicopters are like they might start to follow the IAF's Mig21 track unless we replace them. What is left ? I mean we really haven't purchased anything in the past 2-3 decades for our army except t90s and few arjun and few bofors (that too in 1980-1990).

And our government thinks that our army is doing fine but the thing is they don't have any equipment and it does not looks like that this issue upsets any army general. Army generals are busy with land scams, age issues and golf courses. I mean IA general has worked more hard in the last 3-4 months for his age than he did for the army during his whole term.

the IA soldier is the one that is left out of the huge defense spending we need to better equip them but F-INSAS will take care of that

as for the jeep i thought we were inducting Mahindra AXE vehicles to replace the Jongas?

the IA soldier is the one that is left out of the huge defense spending we need to better equip them but F-INSAS will take care of that
I think FINSAS is a failure. Every equipment that was included in this project is now been separately procured by IA. I wonder wouldn't it be better to go for a complete system. We can go for French program or german program, it will be cheaper rather than purchasing these things separately. Also this points that Indian companies have failed to deliver or are way behind their scheduled.

as for the jeep i thought we were inducting Mahindra AXE vehicles to replace the Jongas?
As far as i know axe failed the test and tata lsv passed. But actually nothing has happened after the test in the last December and it does not looks like anyone is going to make any purchase.

I think FINSAS is a failure. Every equipment that was included in this project is now been separately procured by IA. I wonder wouldn't it be better to go for a complete system. We can go for French program or german program, it will be cheaper rather than purchasing these things separately. Also this points that Indian companies have failed to deliver or are way behind their scheduled.

As far as i know axe failed the test and tata lsv passed. But actually nothing has happened after the test in the last December and it does not looks like anyone is going to make any purchase.

how is F-INSAS a failure?

i believe the Mahindra axe is being evaluated by the IA and is doing well is it not?

^^^ yes I believe, and it was stated recently by Mahindra, that IA is looking to procure 10-12,000 LSVs (not including lSVs for SF) in next 5-7 yrs and AXE looks likely to fit the bill.

+ and I don't ow whether we can pass judgement on the F-INSAS that hasn't even been fielded yet maybe late 2011 late 2012.

+ maybe you are referring from the fact the IA has sent an RFI for 500,000+ carbines and yes I'm unsure of this and it's relevance on F-INSAS but let's just wait and see. The project has been cooking for a long time and has swallowed $2.2BN so far, only time will tell.

I agree to most of angeldemon_007 points. We had started lot of procurement processes for IA but they are not completing in a timely fashion. It’s the same with Indigenous systems as well
Some of the programs I know are given below

• For helicopeters
o Has HAL Dhruv 40+ in quantity. They will get some more after the new engine was developed. Its India’s best product so far, it’s sold to foreign nation, however its own Army doesn’t have it in numbers. I know that government has banned it for foreign sales unless our armed forces demands are not fulfilled. The production rate is pathetic, its 40 in a year.
o Waiting for LUH, I don’t see it flying in near future.
o LCH is a good start to have a firing hand in sky.
o Helicopter procurement from foreign nation – 197 units for Indian Army, should finalize soon.

• In term of UAV, I think we are better equipped
o DRDO Nishant – 12 unit are in order(with new engine)
o IAI Searcher II – 21 operating
o IAI Heron II – 31 operating
o DRDO Lakshya – 25 units are ordered, not sure how many will be given to IA. Lakshya – 2 is in development and the system has been designed so that two Lakshya targets can be flown and controlled by the common ground control station.

• Tanks and Other Combat Vehicles
o T-90 - We are planning to induct 1657 units. We alredy have about 700+ in service.
o Arjun – About 100+ is in service out of 248. Arjun Mark II will have night vision.
o FMBT – Development is started in 2010.
o NAMICA – Should be handed over as soon as possible after recent change requested by IA. I would blame IA for the delay.
o Not talking about older tanks here

• Mine Protection & Clearing Vehicles
o Hydremma – Mine Clearing Vehicle. Number unknown
o Aditya – Mine protected Vehicles 300+ in service
o Mahindra’s Mine protected Vehicles should be ordered in number.
o DRDO Daksh – Bomb disposal robot. 2 in service out of 20 in order.

• Anti-tank guided missiles
o Nag – This is third generation fire and forgets IIR Guided ATGM. 443 are in order. However, I get confused why are we looking for JAVELIN and LAHAT when we have NAG
o Javelin – Ordered from, quantity unknown.
o Spike – Ordered.
o Lahat – Ordered. To be used with Arjun.

• Air Defense
o Akash – After years of hard work it’s cleared and its ordered in good number. I think we might see some fresh order of it from IA.
o Prithvi Air Defense/Advanced Air Defense – I am very happy with the development. I would be happier if it reaches to IA faster. It’s very complicated system.
o Laser Weapons(LASTEC) – We have started working on it, something like ALTB of US. Should be ready in 10 – 15 years.

• For F-INSAS - Lets wait till its given timeline which is 2012.

I just hope all the ongoing things are completed faster.

how is F-INSAS a failure?
Can you seriously that Indian scientist can keep their mouth shut about any program even if it is top secret ? If DRDO was doing an work on FINSAS they would be talking like parrot on the national media. Some work has been done but its too less. The only thing that makes sense is that they are way behind their schedule or they have stopped working on it.

For F-INSAS - Lets wait till its given timeline which is 2012.
I doubt we will learn anything by 2012 also because of the same reason i mentioned above. If some work was done on FINSAS then the national media would buzzing with that news.

^^^ yes I believe, and it was stated recently by Mahindra, that IA is looking to procure 10-12,000 LSVs (not including lSVs for SF) in next 5-7 yrs and AXE looks likely to fit the bill.
Yeah but it wasn't mentioned that Mahindra has been asked to provide these vehicles. This merely indicated that IA will be procuring it but which one we don't know. Last Dec 2010 they have conducted test in Leh for 4 vehicles but no official result was announced although on auto threads i have read that Mahindra was beaten by Tata or may be it has something to do with politics but Tata is most likely to win.

+ maybe you are referring from the fact the IA has sent an RFI for 500,000+ carbines and yes I'm unsure of this and it's relevance on F-INSAS but let's just wait and see. The project has been cooking for a long time and has swallowed $2.2BN so far, only time will tell.
You are talking about the beretta carbines, deal was signed this year but this deal was signed by Home ministry not MOD. These carbines are for various State police, CRPF and BSF.
Apart from this IA has issued RFP for multi-caliber assault rifles this year + new BP jackets and helmets + new communication set + GPS + hand held palmtops and smaller wrist ones + night vision googles & UBGL and under production.
If you join all these components my friend, then you will see this is what IA getting in FINSAS which they have now decided to procure from international market.
Which only points DRDO has failed to achieve the goals or they are way behind their schedule. Considering the past history of DRDO i think its the most logical answer. There's a possibility that IA's habit for purchasing foreign equipment might be behind this but i doubt Antony would have let that happen.

^^^^^^ F-INSAS was it supposed to be indigenous in the first place or were the equipment supposed to be license produced at first then made indigenously?

I agree to most of angeldemon_007 points. We had started lot of procurement processes for IA but they are not completing in a timely fashion. It’s the same with Indigenous systems as well
Some of the programs I know are given below

• For helicopeters
o Has HAL Dhruv 40+ in quantity. They will get some more after the new engine was developed. Its India’s best product so far, it’s sold to foreign nation, however its own Army doesn’t have it in numbers. I know that government has banned it for foreign sales unless our armed forces demands are not fulfilled. The production rate is pathetic, its 40 in a year.
o Waiting for LUH, I don’t see it flying in near future.
o LCH is a good start to have a firing hand in sky.
o Helicopter procurement from foreign nation – 197 units for Indian Army, should finalize soon.

• In term of UAV, I think we are better equipped
o DRDO Nishant – 12 unit are in order(with new engine)
o IAI Searcher II – 21 operating
o IAI Heron II – 31 operating
o DRDO Lakshya – 25 units are ordered, not sure how many will be given to IA. Lakshya – 2 is in development and the system has been designed so that two Lakshya targets can be flown and controlled by the common ground control station.

• Tanks and Other Combat Vehicles
o T-90 - We are planning to induct 1657 units. We alredy have about 700+ in service.
o Arjun – About 100+ is in service out of 248. Arjun Mark II will have night vision.
o FMBT – Development is started in 2010.
o NAMICA – Should be handed over as soon as possible after recent change requested by IA. I would blame IA for the delay.
o Not talking about older tanks here

• Mine Protection & Clearing Vehicles
o Hydremma – Mine Clearing Vehicle. Number unknown
o Aditya – Mine protected Vehicles 300+ in service
o Mahindra’s Mine protected Vehicles should be ordered in number.
o DRDO Daksh – Bomb disposal robot. 2 in service out of 20 in order.

• Anti-tank guided missiles
o Nag – This is third generation fire and forgets IIR Guided ATGM. 443 are in order. However, I get confused why are we looking for JAVELIN and LAHAT when we have NAG
o Javelin – Ordered from, quantity unknown.
o Spike – Ordered.
o Lahat – Ordered. To be used with Arjun.

• Air Defense
o Akash – After years of hard work it’s cleared and its ordered in good number. I think we might see some fresh order of it from IA.
o Prithvi Air Defense/Advanced Air Defense – I am very happy with the development. I would be happier if it reaches to IA faster. It’s very complicated system.
o Laser Weapons(LASTEC) – We have started working on it, something like ALTB of US. Should be ready in 10 – 15 years.

• For F-INSAS - Lets wait till its given timeline which is 2012.

I just hope all the ongoing things are completed faster.

Thanks for the detailed report on IA. I was going through lot of threads and I didn't found much of IA details. However, it seems you have summarized it all here.

Carry on!!!

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom