What's new

Elon Musk says his biggest Tesla competition will be a Chinese automaker: ‘They work the smartest’

Free 3 years ago? why your sources are always very old? do you how fast China install charing stations all across China?

The point in that video was not charge time at all. It was about how most people in the US (80%) charge at home and because Chinese cars have smaller batteries they are going to need more infrastructure to keep them charged.

The assumption is most Chinese EV owners have the ability to plug their cars into a public charger somewhere in their residence's garage or parking lot or a nearby station and are not throwing very very very long extension cords off their balconies or out their windows to charge their cars below.

This is in contrast to 80% of the US who are not using public chargers at all but are simply plugging their cars in at home directly into a regular 120v wall socket (or have gone through the expense of adding special wiring to allow 240v and above)...and if a plug isn't located directly next to where they park their car they may actually be running extension cords across their property.

The key is they are not using charging stations...so it looks like the US has lots of EVs but no charging infrastructure to support them.

EVcharging.jpg

The guy is running a cord from his house to his car. His residence doesn't show up on a map of "charging locations". in fact it is likely there are not many nearby simply because of lack of need.

Last edited:
The point in that video was not charge time at all. It was about how most people in the US (80%) charge at home and because Chinese cars have smaller batteries they are going to need more infrastructure to keep them charged.

The assumption is most Chinese EV owners have the ability to plug their cars into a public charger somewhere in their residence's garage or parking lot or a nearby station and are not throwing very very very long extension cords off their balconies or out their windows to charge their cars below.

This is in contrast to 80% of the US who are not using public chargers at all but are simply plugging their cars in at home directly into a regular 120v wall socket (or have gone through the expense of adding special wiring to allow 240v and above)...and if a plug isn't located directly next to where they park their car they may actually be running extension cords across their property.

The key is they are not using charging stations...so it looks like the US has lots of EVs but no charging infrastructure to support them.

EVcharging.jpg

The guy is running a cord from his house to his car. His residence doesn't show up on a map of "charging locations". in fact it is likely there are not many nearby simply because of lack of need.
Who told you Chinese EV owners use public charging at home? they all have their private charging, why you always take everything for granted?

Who told you Chinese EV owners use public charging at home? they all have their private charging, why you always take everything for granted?

...so you are saying most EV owners in China have access to private charging at their housing units that do not show up in counts of chargers installed in China. So if all the "installed chargers" in China went offline it wouldn't affect most people immediately since their private charging units aren't counted.

Last edited:
...so you are saying most EV owners in China have access to private charging at their housing units that do not show up in counts of chargers installed in China. So if all the "installed chargers" in China went offline it wouldn't affect most people immediately since their private charging units aren't counted.
I don't know about other places, it's true in Beijing, my brother has EV car, the package for the purchase includes charging point for the car. what did you learn that Chinese EV ownners have to go public charging stations for their cars?

NEM1_20210428_C0326353181_A2773834.jpg

Of course, otherwise who pays for the eletricity? what did you learn that Chinese EV ownners have to go public charging stations for their cars?

I didn't say they have to go out to public chargers. I said do none of the residential chargers count in the lists of installed chargers in China?

Most of the ones in US residentials don't because they aren't installed chargers. Most people literally plug their car into the same socket you charge you phone in. It isn't a charger unit.

Last edited:

But this assumption is BS, you assume too much how it comes to China.

You seriously believe that Chinese people are that stupid to buy these many EVs without having private charging facillities? really..?

Last edited:
But this assumption is BS, you assume too much how it comes to China.

You seriously believe that Chinese people are that stupid to buy these many EVs without having private charging facillities? really..?

So you are confirming most residential chargers in China are not included in counts of installed chargers in China.

So you are confirming most residential chargers in China are not included in counts of installed chargers in China.
I don't know if they are included or not, but I do know people have private chargers. your problem is you just talk without any knowledge about the things you are talking about, last time you also claimed that Beijing's water is not directly drinkable, but the truth is it has been directly drinkable for over 10 years.
Your knowledge about China was stuck in the 1980's forever.

I don't know if they are included or not,

...and you would agree that people in the US who simply plug their cars into outlets at their homes are definitely not listed as an installed charger.

Plus 80% of people use this method to charge their cars.

Last edited:
...and you would agree that people in the US who plug their cars into outlets at their homes are definitely not listed as an installed charger.
I don't really care, if I had an EV, I will care more about if I can conveniently find enough charging stations when driving on the way.

I don't really care, if I had an EV, I will care more about if I can conveniently find enough charging stations when driving on the way.

Which is why the EV infrastructure in the US was heavily focused on the highways first and then city parking garages/areas...and then suburban areas where demand is lower because 80% of people with EV's charge them at home so they don't need substantial numbers of installed chargers.

This is in response to the Chinese people in this thread that don't understand why there are not more chargers available in the US. The reason is because 80% of people aren't using installed chargers as they are simply plugging it into to a 120V wall outlet or having an electrician install a heavier load 240V connection so they can charge faster. Since the average EV in the US has a range of over 200 miles..the only time these people use chargers is when they go on a long trip...not their daily commute.

Last edited:
Then why US EVs are just a tiny fraction of China's? no one worries about if their car can be chared at home, they worry about if they can be charged when traveling.
Because we don't care whether we can charge it on the road, or parking garage or in gas station. If you own a EV in Australia, you charge it when you garage it at night, Australia dwelling run 230V Voltage, which according to Tesla, every hour you charge gain around 30 mile range.

Which mean if you put it in your garage for 8 hours while you sleep, you gain 240-mile range (about 390 km) This is more than average daily use in Australia which is 36.4km per day

And US like Australia, majority of dwelling are house or townhouse which have access to your own charging. In the last census in Australia in 2017 (next one is 2027) only 10% of Australia are living in apartment.

In the US, 70% of American home are either single or duplex (A single Dwelling with 2 units) which would have reasonably access to ground garage

Which means majority of Australian (90%) or American (70%) would have charge their EV at home.

The only time you need to care about charging in Australia or America is when you go for a interstate trip, because according to Tesla, A Tesla Y only can carry 11KW of charge, which translated to 350 miles (around 600km range), so if you have to travel from say Sydney to Brisbane with your Tesla Y, then you will need to start looking at Fast Charging station on the way. but most people don't do interstate travel in their car, you either do it in Train or Airplane, which is the reason why Australia and US don't have that many fast charging stations.

Back
Top Bottom