What's new

Elon Musk says China has an advantage because its politicians are better at science

Gosh...Let us see...:rolleyes:

Gosh ...The Soviet Union did the following:-
First satellite in space
And nothing came out of it -- for the people.

First man in space
First women in space
First space station
And then fell far behind.

The Kalashnikov
Rocket propel rocket
All those MIG fighters
They still make the best rocket engines

Even Nazi Germany
V1 bombs then V2 rockets
First jet fighter
The volkwagon
Tiger tank
The final and STILL best goal for technology is to benefit the people. Not one segment of the people such as the military.

That's just off my mind.
Then it looks like you did not do a lot of thinking with that mind.

Not to mention all those Chinese inventions under Imperial rule.
Gunpower, Fireworks, Silk, rockets, roof tiles, cross-bows, grenade. The Junk itself has numerous innovation by itself.
Done and over. When you have to go back past 200 yrs, you have nothing to contribute to modern time.

Dictatorship also create innovation.
See poor examples above.

But it is true that the Western multi party democracy has reached it's level of incompetence.
Considering the West regularly outpaces dictatorships in technology, who are the more incompetent?

The reason why the microwave oven is the superior example over the MIG fighters regarding the exploitation of technology is because the microwave oven DIRECTLY benefits the most people. Time and time again, defectors from the communist bloc were more impressed with the Western supermarkets than with the Western war machines. Victor Belenko did not defect -- with his MIG -- so that he can tour US Air Forces bases. He defected because he wanted political freedoms and good chow. :enjoy:

Claim: US science is hampered by corporate interests and evangelical Christians.

Q: Can you explain why the microwave oven did not came from the Soviet Union or China?

That is an idiotic answer.

The reason why the microwave oven COULD NOT have came from the Soviet Union or China is because of communism, which stifles creativity which hampers innovation.

You made a blanket statement that is contrary to what happens in real life.
Huh, yeah I messed up the answer looking at why it came to the US instead of the USSR or China.

Regardless, modern China does have a free market unlike the USSR, so I don't doubt they'll be more innovative compared to the USSR.

Gosh...Let us see...:rolleyes:

And nothing came out of it -- for the people.

And then fell far behind.

The final and STILL best goal for technology is to benefit the people. Not one segment of the people such as the military.

Then it looks like you did not do a lot of thinking with that mind.

Done and over. When you have to go back past 200 yrs, you have nothing to contribute to modern time.

See poor examples above.

Considering the West regularly outpaces dictatorships in technology, who are the more incompetent?

The reason why the microwave oven is the superior example over the MIG fighters regarding the exploitation of technology is because the microwave oven DIRECTLY benefits the most people. Time and time again, defectors from the communist bloc were more impressed with the Western supermarkets than with the Western war machines. Victor Belenko did not defect -- with his MIG -- so that he can tour US Air Forces bases. He defected because he wanted political freedoms and good chow. :enjoy:

So you change the rules on innovation. Why should I be surprised. So there is no innovation in US military and space too. Military advances is in the forefront of innovation... no. Let's see how you spin your way out. He he he.

No country can progress so much in just 30 years without innovation. Did not lifting millions of people out of poverty benefits ordinary people?

Last edited:
Can you name one thing a typical person who lives in the developed world sees in their day to day activity that was invented in Russia or China in the last 200 years? Start listing them and you'll find the list incredibly short. Meanwhile I bet just the clothes you are wearing probably have more US inventions in them (multiple synthetic fabrics, zippers, snaps, etc) than the entire list you can generate.

that's not really a valid comparison by using last 200 years. I think everyone is aware US has been and is still the tech lead in many areas. I think what Elon Musk and many people here referring to is what would be like going forward. China only start bursting on the tech scene over the past 5-10 years, quickly transitioning from a copy-cat to a truly innovative economy, while US is resting on its laurels and is risk being overtaken by China. That's the whole point. Besides, many of American innovations are from foreigners who were educated abroad. It's like Germans invent something in China and China claims it as Chinese invention. There are many such examples in the US.

that's not really a valid comparison by using last 200 years. I think everyone is aware US has been and is still the tech lead in many areas. I think what Elon Musk and many people here referring to is what would be like going forward. China only start bursting on the tech scene over the past 5-10 years, quickly transitioning from a copy-cat to a truly innovative economy, while US is resting on its laurels and is risk being overtaken by China. That's the whole point. Besides, many of American innovations are from foreigners who were educated abroad. It's like Germans invent something in China and China claims it as Chinese invention. There are many such examples in the US.

You’ve been modernizing for more than 5 to 10 years. Plus you don’t need $100 million to make something everybody uses. For instance the flip top can has gone through many iterations. 40 years ago it was a pull off tab (pop top), then the circular pop in, then several iterations of the pull tab leads us to the ubiquitous stay-on-tab one we have today.

POE_Stay-on_tab.jpg

poptops.jpg

Last edited:
So you change the rules on innovation. Why should I be surprised. So there is no innovation in US military and space too. Military advances is in the forefront of innovation... no. Let's see how you spin your way out. He he he.

No country can progress so much in just 30 years without innovation. Did not lifting millions of people out of poverty benefits ordinary people?
It seems you do not understand the difference between 'invention' and 'innovation'.

- Invention is essentially first time.

- Innovation is improvements on existing products.

Your post is gibberish.

There is nothing wrong with being continuously innovative. No product is ever perfect on the first attempt. Innovations are necessary as users assess features, needs, wants, mission, and deficiencies, and eventually, the product becomes better.

The Soviet Union may have had the first artificial satellite with Sputnik, but slow to improved on that advantage. Once innovations are enabled, the most important thing is to maintain momentum, and regarding momentum, the US leap ahead of the Soviet Union with the satellite doing more than just providing information to the military. This is where you, in your zeal to suck up to the Chinese here, failed to understand.

You’ve been modernizing for more than 5 to 10 years. Plus you don’t need $100 million to make something everybody uses. For instance the flip top can has gone through many iterations. 40 years ago it was a pull off tab (pop top), then the circular pop in, then several iterations of the pull tab leads us to the common stay-on-tab one we have today.

POE_Stay-on_tab.jpg

Modernizing from extremely poor stage != innovating. China modernizing from $1000 per capita in the past 3 decades is to simply pulling people out of poverty by providing them with low level jobs and fed, not trying to be innovative. Only recently has China truly been emerging in innovation because China is at the stage where people are more comfortably fed and can therefore now pursue higher things.

Modernizing from extremely poor stage != innovating. China modernizing from $1000 per capita in the past 3 decades is to simply pulling people out of poverty by providing them with low level jobs and fed, not trying to be innovative. Only recently has China truly been emerging in innovation because China is at the stage where people are more comfortably fed and can therefore now pursue higher things.

If poverty was the main reason innovation was suppressed we'd all be living in a backwards world right now. I'm sure many innovations came from somebody who was poor and wanted to create something that everybody would buy so he could lift himself out of poverty. It’s along the same motivation as some mom&pop restaurant in China trying to make the best recipe to attract the most people.

Last edited:
If poverty was the main reason innovation was suppressed we'd all be living in a backwards world right now. I'm sure many innovations came from somebody who was poor and wanted to create something that everybody would buy so he could lift himself out of poverty. It’s along the same motivation as some mom&pop restaurant in China trying to make the best recipe to attract the most people.

I didn't say people in poverty don't innovate, I'm simply saying people with more money can more easily pursue innovation when they don't have to worry about starving. There's positive correlation between number of innovations and the wealth of the country, not that poor countries don't file any patents.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom