What's new

Egyptian Struggle-Updates and Discussions

Find raw, hard data that backs up any claim of 15% to 40% of Egypt's economy is controlled by the military, I'm talking profit, net profit, GDP, company names and numbers, execs, and so on. It does have an empire (and that's for a reason) however, it's nowhere as big as what the article or any other article is reporting, without basis.

Did you think we'd get 'raw data' from the military which gives us figures without 'raw data'?
Egypt’s military expands its control of the country’s economy - The Washington Post
Egypt′s army expands economic power | Middle East | DW.DE | 04.05.2014

it is your right you are free to criticize anyone but may i remind you that we agreed on 1 year it is ok what el sisi done in few months is a lot more than what morsi did in years in economy diplomacy security your problem with el sisi is the brotherhood but you have to accept the fact that majority of Egyptians are happy to see them gone

What are you talking about? What did he do with the economy? This?
Al-Sisi raises prices for the poor to subsidise the wealthy
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/07/sisi-defends-egypt-fuel-subsidies-reduction-20147719731591804.html

His speech came just hours after a spokesperson for the opposition 6 April Movement said that police had arrested Mohamed Nassar, a political activist, for holding a banner in Cairo that read "You [president] promised not to remove the subsidy, but you turned out to be a liar".

"Mohamed Nassar has been arrested and he is now in Qasr al-Nil police station," Mohamed Fouad, the spokesperson, said on Monday on his Facebook page, as reported by
Al-Masry Al-Youm paper.

"Mohamed held the banner and stood alone in Tahrir Square."

According to Fouad, a police report was filed accusing Nassar of spreading rumours and harming public peace. He was referred to prosecution on Monday.

Are there even any reports/figures of the economy under Sisi? Mainstream media has been trying to censor that out. I haven't seen information on the economic progress Sisi is making that you keep telling me about. If there is, kindly present it.

Primary financial contributors were going to be the Gulf states, Saudi, UAE, and Qatar. Several Chinese (and other foreign) companies were being considered for some of the tender. Either way, that is now irrelevant, the previous government was
unable to get the project going (it was critcised but it was never actually stopped) and Elsisi has managed to get it going in
the space of a year, with the main focus of the project (which wasn't in Morsi's plan) to be completed in a year. Even if you
support Morsi or Sisi or whoever, this is a project to support, providing work for 15,000 families (of those doing the digging work alone) and potentially doubling the Suez Canals income (in the space of a year).

Yes the previous administration would have got it going. It still needs a period of 3 to 5 years by the least estimates. So you just made up that whole thing about the previous administration giving control to foreigners. When it is no different to what this current administration is doing by getting funds. You also made up the part about it being Egyptian funded. To try to make it look any different by the previous adminstration's plan.

Last edited:

The companies the Egyptian military own are well known, both military and civilian. Now, you may not know the profits of each company but you can estimate their income based upon the (estimated) military's own budget and procurement policies. So if the military controls 15 to 40% of the economy would the military's budget still amount to 1-2% of Egypt's GDP? somehow I find that preposterous. Again, the military does have a large empire but it is nowhere near what some articles are making it out to, when they themselves have no data or numbers to go by.

What are you talking about? What did he do with the economy? This?

Apart from the political point scoring article, austerity had to happen and is beneficial.
Egypt’s economy: Pharaonic frailties | The Economist
Energy subsidies: Scrap them | The Economist

The government recently approved the 2014/2015 state budget, cutting the fuel subsidies by some 44bn with the aim to reduce the budget deficit to 10% of the GDP.

The price of 92 octane fuel went up from EGP 1.85 to EGP 2.60; 80 octane fuel from EGP 0.90 to EGP 1.6; and diesel fuel and kerosene from EGP 1.10 to EGP 1.80. The price on 95 octane fuel went up to EGP 6.25, while the price of automotive natural gas was raised to EGP 1.10 per cubic metre of gas from EGP 0.45.

Even with the price hike, Egypt is still well within the top 10 nations on earth with cheapest fuel. Although, these subsidies are hemorrhaging the national budget. Morsi was also going to cut subsidies (as any sane person would).

Yes the previous administration would have got it going. It still needs a period of 3 to 5 years by the least estimates. So you just made up that whole thing about the previous administration giving control to foreigners. When it is no different to what this current administration is doing by getting funds.

Key word: would have, in the space of a year Elsisi's government has planned the project, chosen the companies, and is executing as we speak, with the focus (the canal) finishing in a year while the entire project should take 3-5 years. The funds are coming from the budget, later shares will be made available to Egyptians (only). International investors however, are involved in projects such as the building of a million housing units, the provision of 2.5 million hectares of land for agricultural development and several new industrial complexes.

The companies the Egyptian military own are well known, both military and civilian. Now, you may not know the profits of each company but you can estimate their income based upon the (estimated) military's own budget and procurement policies. So if the military controls 15 to 40% of the economy would the military's budget still amount to 1-2% of Egypt's GDP? somehow I find that preposterous. Again, the military does have a large empire but it is nowhere near what some articles are making it out to, when they themselves have no data or numbers to go by

What does military budget have anything to do with their control over economy? Military budget for weapons is estimated to be between $4-6 billion before Saudi Arabia gave them 3$ cap space for military spending

The government recently approved the 2014/2015 state budget, cutting the fuel subsidies by some 44bn with the aim to reduce the budget deficit to 10% of the GDP.

The price of 92 octane fuel went up from EGP 1.85 to EGP 2.60; 80 octane fuel from EGP 0.90 to EGP 1.6; and diesel fuel and kerosene from EGP 1.10 to EGP 1.80. The price on 95 octane fuel went up to EGP 6.25, while the price of automotive natural gas was raised to EGP 1.10 per cubic metre of gas from EGP 0.45.

Even with the price hike, Egypt is still well within the top 10 nations on earth with cheapest fuel. Although, these subsidies are hemorrhaging the national budget. Morsi was also going to cut subsidies (as any sane person would).

If you can show me sources which mentions non-fuel subsidies during Morsi's term or even if was going to cut them please do so.

The general budget for this year has also seen a drastic change in social welfare subsidies, which targets the poor and those with low incomes. Subsidies on medicines and baby milk have reduced by 55 per cent; subsidies on housing for low-income families have been reduced by 50 per cent; and subsidies on comprehensive health insurance are now eliminated altogether. In contrast, the budgets of the army, judiciary and constitutional court have increased by 28 per cent.
Key word: would have, in the space of a year Elsisi's government has planned the project, chosen the companies, and is executing as we speak, with the focus (the canal) finishing in a year while the entire project should take 3-5 years. The funds are coming from the budget, later shares will be made available to Egyptians (only). International investors however, are involved in projects such as the building of a million housing units, the provision of 2.5 million hectares of land for agricultural development and several new industrial complexes.

Executing what? The most recent news is plan will be presented in 2015 (Finished in 3 years)according to DailyNewsEgypt. And that is to just build a waterway alongside the current one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And that's supposed to get revenue from $5 billion to 13$ billion by 2023? Morsi's plan was going to triple revenue by 2017.

And there is no 'would have' here. It was going to be completed by 2017 under the last administration. The first phase which had development of the land in the area. I believe the previous adminstrations plan was more than that what Sisi is currently implementing.

And the current administration is still trying to secure funding from investment banks. Initial costs of infrastrucutre is estimated to be at least $20 billion, not sure they have that yet. The housing projects were funded by the UAE if I'm correct. How many billions? So it is foreign funded, you seemed to have a problem earlier if Morsi raised money from foreign sources for the Suez canal project. Your own sources also say UAE 'DP' is investing in it.

Which is the same thing Morsi was doing but with Qatar to develop the land along the canal, and you guys expressed so much outrage over that. But, nothing this time because it's Sisi and the UAE.

I know Morsi wanted to increase fees for all foreign ships passing through the canal due to the shortages of foreign currency reserves.

@Hazzy997, what are the Egyptian salafists thinking now? What I understood from cursory glances at news reports back then- Mursi's failure, among other things, can at least be partially attributed to the non-cooperation of the Salafists. Also what are the lessons learned? Suggest any links if you please.

@Hazzy997, what are the Egyptian salafists thinking now? What I understood from cursory glances at news reports back then- Mursi's failure, among other things, can at least be partially attributed to the non-cooperation of the Salafists. Also what are the lessons learned? Suggest any links if you please.

You are right about the non-cooperation their part. Mainly the 'Noor' Party which followed liberal path in parliament and supported the coup. Now some of them may enter parliamentary elections with a certain list due to election laws in Egypt. Salafi leaders may take different positions and some felt they went too far and leaders outside of Egypt. But, the main party in Egypt was supporting it.

What's odd is Sisi denounced them as being people 'who consider themselves to be different' preventing coexistence basically.

Now they are actually facing an uncertain future. They were used during that period to oust the MB. Now their salafi base is upset with their political decisions, many members have deserted. They are currently having many internal divisions. And they won't get as many votes from their popular base as the last parlimentary elections.

They should've known better, now any political Islam is not going to have an opportunity in politics. So they've yet to admit their failures/wrong decisions in siding with the military coup.

What does military budget have anything to do with their control over economy? Military budget for weapons is estimated to be between $4-6 billion before Saudi Arabia gave them 3$ cap space for military spending

No, that's not for weapons. The largest estimate for the entire Egyptian Armed Force's budget is 12 Billion dollars, that includes procurement, maintenance, wages, and anything else a normal military does. The civilian factories, as well as supplying the military with its needs (rations, monitors, any other civvy stuff) sells to the Egyptian public at below market prices, the gained revenue is then put back into the budget. So, where does the money go? if the military did control 40% of Egypt's economy the military's budget would be way over 1-2% of GDP.

If you can show me sources which mentions non-fuel subsidies during Morsi's term or even if was going to cut them please do so.

Part of the $4.8B IMF loan he was going for (and if I'm not mistaken the current government may be going for as well).

In order to arrest the slide towards complete economic collapse, Morsi needed to obtain loans and sources of investment as a matter of urgency. His first port of call was the IMF, who'd been in the process of negotiating a $3.2billion loan request from the previous regime before it was swept from power in 2011. Morsi wanted this loan increased to $4.8billion. However the IMF predicated the granting of any such loan on spending cuts, specifically cuts to the food and fuel subsidies to the poor, which still account for 3% of Egypt's GDP. In addition Egypt's massive state sector - which absorbs a further 40% of GDP - was also in the sights of the IMF, an institution whose neoliberal nostrums have wrought havoc throughout the Global South since the 1970s, eloquently documented by Canadian journalist Naomi Klein in her peerless work - The Shock Doctrine.

The Role of the IMF In Morsi's Downfall | John Wight

Talk to any economist you want, Egypt needs to cut its subsidies on fuel and anything else if it wants to cut the governments deficit and rejuvenate the economy, spending seven times more on fuel than on healthcare just isn't
sustainable.

Executing what? The most recent news is plan will be presented in 2015 (Finished in 3 years)according to DailyNewsEgypt. And that is to just build a waterway alongside the current one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong: digging started about ten days ago

The ceremony

و رئيس اللجنة الهندسية لمشروع حفر المجرى الموازى لقناة السويس الجديدة ، أن حجم الأعمال التى تم تنفيذها حتى الآن بلغ ( 9 ) ملايين متر مكعب.

و أضاف أن معدلات الحفر شهدت انخفاضاً طفيفاً عن حجم الأعمال المستهدفة يوميًا برفع نحو ( 1.4 ) مليون متر مكعب من الرمال لعدم وصول معدات قادمة تابعة لشركات من محافظات الصعيد.

وأضاف أنه بدءً من يوم غد السبت سيبدأ العمل بالطاقة الكاملة للشركات العاملة.

و قال سيادته أن الهيئة الهندسية للقوات المسلحة استوردت ( 75 ) معدة جديدة للمشاركة فى المشروع و أنه من المنتظر نقلها من ميناء الإسكندرية إلى موقع الحفر خلال أيام.

So far 9 Million cubic meters of sand has been dug, the plan is to complete this within the year, that means more companies have been brought in to dig rising from 20 companies to 33 and they intend to add more. The rest of the project should be completed within 3 years.

And that's supposed to get revenue from $5 billion to 13$ billion by 2023? Morsi's plan was going to triple revenue by 2017.

He said and what was realistic are two different things, the doubling of ships moving through the Canal daily from 50 to 100 ships will double the revenue, and that project is to take a year. The building of logistical bases and companies on and in and around the canal will take 3 years their projected numbers have not been released.

And there is no 'would have' here. It was going to be completed by 2017 under the last administration. The first phase which had development of the land in the area. I believe the previous adminstrations plan was more than that what Sisi is currently implementing.

A 3-5 year project (if not longer) was going to be completed by 2017 yet by the 30th of June 2013 not a single brick was moved, nor a single cubic meter dug, nor any competition for tender initiated, no any workers hired. Yeah sure. You may believe what Morsi was doing was larger, but in reality digging a new 74km canal and expanding the other canal, plus making the Suez canal a logistical hub is the bigger project, Morsi only envisaged the logistical hub.

And the current administration is still trying to secure funding from investment banks. Initial costs of infrastrucutre is estimated to be at least $20 billion, not sure they have that yet. The housing projects were funded by the UAE if I'm correct. How many billions? So it is foreign funded, you seemed to have a problem earlier if Morsi raised money from foreign sources for the Suez canal project. Your own sources also say UAE 'DP' is investing in it.

The canal itself will be fully Egyptian funded, not sure about the logistical hub, where did you get the $20B number from?

In a speech to the nation on Tuesday, Sisi said the project would receive no financing from abroad, and that he hoped its $4bn (£2.4bn) cost would instead be offset by independent contributions from individual Egyptians. "We want all Egyptians to hold shares in this project," he said.

I have no problem with foreign funded projects in Egypt, no one does, what I have a problem with (as do all other Egyptians) is allowing foreign investors to control a vital part of Egypt that men and women have died for, the Suez Canal. It must be maintained an Egyptian controlled canal.

Which is the same thing Morsi was doing but with Qatar to develop the land along the canal, and you guys expressed so much outrage over that. But, nothing this time because it's Sisi and the UAE.
No, it's because under the proposed plans investors would effectively be able to lease the Suez Canal, no Egyptian control, 1956 is not so easily forgotten.

No, that's not for weapons. The largest estimate for the entire Egyptian Armed Force's budget is 12 Billion dollars, that includes procurement, maintenance, wages, and anything else a normal military does. The civilian factories, as well as supplying the military with its needs (rations, monitors, any other civvy stuff) sells to the Egyptian public at below market prices, the gained revenue is then put back into the budget. So, where does the money go? if the military did control 40% of Egypt's economy the military's budget would be way over 1-2% of GDP.

Army's budget is classified. We'll never know the true number and if the budgetary items are included in the number. It has nothing to do with weapons, maintenance or co-production. Such as pasta, bottled waters, gas stations, etc...

You know this better than most people here do but you don't want to talk about. Like I said, if it makes you feel better do so. Because I know about it myself and bought gas from your military in Egypt during Morsi's term. It was in secret as well which is unfortunate since the public conception was that it had ran out. If you have connections it easy to find.

So if I'm understanding correctly they wouldn't give the loan unless there were spending cuts? I praise this from your link though:

Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood - a president and an organisation identified with the needs of the poor - refused to countenance cuts that would worsen their plight, though no doubt also anticipating an eruption of anger throughout the country if they had. In turn the IMF loan was stalled and Morsi was forced to try elsewhere. Loan requests to Germany and Russia were turned down, which left Egypt's regional allies as the only remaining source of desperately needed funds

You're wrong: digging started about ten days ago

Well I'm not wrong. Egyptian media is wrong. They were reporting that. Anyways, it is expected to take 3 years to dig another waterway.

He said and what was realistic are two different things, the doubling of ships moving through the Canal daily from 50 to 100 ships will double the revenue, and that project is to take a year. The building of logistical bases and companies on and in and around the canal will take 3 years their projected numbers have not been released.

It wasn't just him. Everyone knows it would've benefited Egypt greatly. The first phase would have been completed by 2017 and yielded good results for Egypt. I'm not sure why would be against that as an Egyptian. He also wanted you to become self sufficient in producing wheat by 4 years if I'm correct which is important for Egypt if it could make use out of its agriculture it can turn the whole nation around. I haven't heard Sisi's plan for that.
A 3-5 year project (if not longer) was going to be completed by 2017 yet by the 30th of June 2013 not a single brick was moved, nor a single cubic meter dug, nor any competition for tender initiated, no any workers hired. Yeah sure. You may believe what Morsi was doing was larger, but in reality digging a new 74km canal and expanding the other canal, plus making the Suez canal a logistical hub is the bigger project, Morsi only envisaged the logistical hub.

Again, you got it wrong. Sisi is doing a 4$ billion project to build a waterway. Morsi's project was much larger than that and required three phases. The first phase was to be completed around 2017 time. Even if it was delayed for 6 months, late 2017-early 2018 timing is feasible. Current administration is also expecting that. Difference is previous one's plan for the first phase would triple the revenue. While current would get it to 13 billion as estimated by 2023.

If that project was completed under Morsi the World Bank estimated it would generate $50 billion per year. It needed to secure investments and gain approval in Egypt. The
final draft of Shura Council legislative committee was discussing the controversy around the Suez Canal development project. The same legislative committee also said 27 companies have been chosen for the building. So yes, contrary to what you're stating there were Egyptian companies chosen and ready for service.

The canal itself will be fully Egyptian funded, not sure about the logistical hub, where did you get the $20B number from?

Are you sure about that? The number was about the larger project from an Egyptian article.

I have no problem with foreign funded projects in Egypt, no one does, what I have a problem with (as do all other Egyptians) is allowing foreign investors to control a vital part of Egypt that men and women have died for, the Suez Canal. It must be maintained an Egyptian controlled canal.

Isn't that what Sisi is doing with the UAE? Previous administration was not giving up any land for control. There were only investments just as there is under Sisi. It is an Egyptian controlled canal and always has been. Morsi is Egyptian if you forgot that.
No, it's because under the proposed plans investors would effectively be able to lease the Suez Canal, no Egyptian control, 1956 is not so easily forgotten.

That's not true. Egyptian PM was asked this question at the time and answered it.

Egypt's anti-coup alliance rejects calls for 'armed resistance'

The Anti-Coup National Alliance reaffirmed that it will not resort to violence in resisting the coup, a statement said Friday.
Following recent announcements by a number of youth groups that armed struggle has become the only viable way of resisting the coup, the pro-Morsi alliance disavowed these calls, stressing that it rejects "any calls for violence or justification of violent acts."

Thanks for the article but be careful...they are saying they aren't part of MB. Which is a good thing so no accusations get thrown at them. But, I'm reading the comments and am surprised. A good amount of Egyptians are anti-Sisi, however some also don't want Egypt to get into a larger civil strife. So this proves there is no such enormous majority fallibility of him. But, his critics are censored especially in the Western media.

But, also other comments are saying the spokesmen speaking claims to be from the edges of Cairo but has an accent of 'Sa3edee'. I have no clue what that means, I'm guessing something to do with an area/tribe/people from that area in Egypt. Some comments are claiming the people in the video are Egyptian intelligence.

Although others are saying the interior ministry in Egypt only understands violence. Bottomline is this shows there is a real struggle in Egypt. Of course two sides have their perspectives as well.

Prominent activist in Egypt goes on hunger strike | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR

CAIRO: A prominent activist in Egypt began a hunger strike to protest his imprisonment after being convicted on charges of violating the country's widely criticized protest law, according to a statement Tuesday from his family.

Alaa Abdel-Fattah was a major force in the 2011 revolt that toppled longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

An outspoken blogger, Abdel-Fattah has been in and out of prison in the three years since Mubarak's ouster. He campaigned against military trials for civilians during the 17 months that generals held power following Mubarak's resignation. Abdel-Fattah opposed Islamist President Mohammed Morsi as well, but strongly disapproved of the military's return to politics in the wake of Morsi's ouster.

His sister is detained over similar charges.

In a statement Tuesday, the activist was quoted as saying: "I will no longer play the role they have written for me." It said that he started his hunger strike on Monday night. The family said it held authorities responsible for Abdel-Fattah's safety.

Egypt police kills female anti-coup protester in Cairo, arrests 35 others

Egyptian security forces have rounded up 35 opponents of the military coup in Cairo and other governorates on Friday, the interior ministry said.
According to a ministry statement, the detained protesters are affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Female protester Zeinab Mahmoud, 45, was shot dead by police while taking part in an anti-coup protest in Ain Shams neighbourhood in eastern Cairo, eyewitnesses told Anadolu.

However, the ministry of interior denied using live ammunition in dispersing protests.

Meanwhile, a number of marches have been held in various areas in Cairo on Friday, calling for an end to military rule, and denouncing the government's failure to solve the worsening power outage crisis.

Egyptian student Karima al-Seirfy released from prison

karima-al-seirfy.jpg

Karima al-Seirfy, 18-year-old university student and daughter of president Mohamed Morsi's aide Amin al-Seirfy, has been released on Saturday evening four days after the prosecution's decision to release her.

Karima, an undergraduate student at Al-Azhar School of Law and Jurisprudence, was arrested on March 19 on charges of "espionage" but no evidence was brought against her.

According to her family, police forces stormed into the apartment where she lived alone in Heliopolis, smashed the door, and stole all her personal belongings, including jewelry, television, mobile phone and clothes.

Sisi seeks to expand his constitutional powers

Aides close to Egyptian President Abdel Fatah Al-Sisi are seeking to amend the constitution to expand his powers, a report said.
The attempt to amend the constitution is aimed at expanding the legislative powers of the president and allow him to form a government without consulting the parliament, Almesryoon newspaper said, adding that the articles on the system of governance will also be subject to amendments.

According to article 226 of the Egyptian 2014 constitution, the president can request the amendment of the constitution only if a third of the parliament approves the request, by specifying the articles that require amendment and the reasons for this request, and the parliament should discuss it within 30 days, then approve or reject the request with a majority vote.

Rights Group: Witness for Report on Egypt Detained - ABC News

Human Rights Watch said Monday one of the witnesses for its investigation into mass killings in Egypt last summer was detained, calling for his release.

The New York-based group said in a statement that the witness, Mohammed Tareq, was detained during a protest in Egypt's second-largest city of Alexandria on Friday and ordered held pending an investigation.

The group said Tareq's arrest appeared unrelated to his testimony on last summer's violent security force breakup of sit-ins by supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.

But the group said according to Tareq's lawyer, among seven people initially arrested with him, Tareq was the only one who was beaten and had his home raided, signaling that he may be targeted for his testimony. Only Tareq and four others remain detained for 15 days pending an investigation.

Human Rights Watch said Tareq is investigated for allegedly illegally protesting, and of belonging to the Muslim Brotherhood, a group the government has branded a terrorist organization. The group called for Tareq and the other men to be released or for the prompt leveling of charges against them in a way that doesn't violate their rights.

A security official said Tareq, who previously taught science at Alexandria University, is also accused of managing pages on social media sites that "incite against the police and military." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters.

Tareq had given testimony about the 2013 security crackdown on the sit-in at Rabaah al-Adawiya Square, including a recorded statement on how he was shot with live ammunition in his arm and chest.

Human Rights Watch said the killing of more than 800 protesters at the square was a likely crime against humanity, and called for an international inquiry into the role of government officials, including President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, who was Egypt's military chief at the time of the raid. The group interviewed at least 200 witnesses for its report.

Back
Top Bottom