What's new

Egyptian Struggle-Updates and Discussions

He was a disaster for Egypt when it came to diplomacy. His inner circle as inexperienced in running affairs of the country. He brought down the economy to new lows. Mind you the same people kicked out Mubarak ad installed him. The same people kicked him out. They would rather have a successful and prosperous Egypt under dictatorship than a democracy that was crashing down their country and economy and their image.

He came with a 51% majority. Second his diplomacy was a disaster for Egypt with economy so screwed that it is yet to recover. The same people that kicked out Mubarak brought him. The same people kicked him out.

Pakistan's welcome has no weightage when it comes to Morsis acceptance that dwindled within one year. May i remind you of the screw ups that MB did. The way they treated women who were molested. The way they let molestors off the hook and blamed women. The way they used Islam to persecute Coptics and the shias there. The misuse of the judicial system. Diplomatic **** ups. Economic suicide.

No wonder the same people wished dictatorship back. You can wish all you want, the people with the army support Sisi. Majority does, a sizeable minority still supports MB.

You are vastly mistaken if you think that democracy can be established without any sacrifices. What part of the phrase "Deep State" do you not understand?

You support the Army that killed its own people. You talk of performance? Why do you not judge the God Damned Egyptain Army on the same effing scale that you are using for a legitimate and democratically elected government? You are saying that Egyptians should just work for their country under Sisi. What would they accomplish? Get more Saudi aid and influence? Get more of the same as under Mubarak? I doubt that Egypt would ever come up to even second world standards. There would be another round of people standing up for their rights. What would happen then?

Just type these words and google: Egypt Deep State Democracy, and see what comes up. Your irrelevant rants should then stop.

Since I know your opinionated self is not going to do as I ask, I am presenting few of the results on the first page here. These are just the opening paragraphs of the articles. Sobering reading it is indeed. But I doubt if you would sober up.

Egypt: return of the deep state | openDemocracy
Egypt: return of the deep state
ECKART WOERTZ 20 January 2014
With the referendum the military secures its privileges, but its main challenge is the economic crisis.

If someone fell into a coma in 2011 before the Egyptian “revolution” and woke up today he or she would not notice many changes. Then as now a general ruled, the opposition was illegal or curtailed, elections were managed, the turnout was low, but results were stellar. With the 98 per cent approval of the new constitution by only 39 per cent of voters the deep state is back in Egypt. In a way it was never gone. When Mubarak became untenable the army let him fall in order to preserve its vested interests. During their short rein the Muslim Brotherhood and President Mohamed Morsi never managed to penetrate the pillars of the ancien regime, the Ministry of Interior, the judiciary and the military.

Egypt’s deep state rediscovers itself | openDemocracy
Egypt’s deep state rediscovers itself
AMR OSMAN 19 June 2014
It is now evident that the coup has not taken Egypt any step closer to a 'real state' where the supreme authority lies within its elected legislature, issuing laws and holding the government to account. On the contrary, the coup has deepened the roots of the deep state, resulting in an entity that is far from modern.

If there is anything positive in the events in Egypt since the military’s junta against its elected president on 3 July 2013, it would be the exposure of what has conventionally come to be called the 'deep state', which is a result of this deep state rediscovering itself.

Egypt: death and the deep state | Editorial | Comment is free | The Guardian
Egypt: death and the deep state

The numbers alone are staggering: an Egyptian court in the city of Minya on Monday sentenced 529 supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood to death for their alleged role in the killing of a policeman. They were convicted after just two court sessions, most in absentia and without being allowed to present a defence. On Tuesday a further 683 members of the Brotherhood, including its leader, Mohammed Badie, will face similar charges in the same city. Although many of these sentences are likely to be commuted when the defendants reach the last stage of Egyptian justice and are brought before the grand mufti, legal experts cannot recall a court coming to such draconian conclusions on such a scale. It will send a shudder through those who once cheered on the Egyptian revolution and imagined the country was on the path to democracy.

There are now so many political prisoners in Egypt that its jails are close to bursting.

Shallow Democracy v. Deep State: An Archaeology of the Crisis in Egypt
Crisis in Egypt
BY MUSA AL-GHARBI
– 21 AUGUST 2013POSTED IN: EGYPT, IN-DEPTH, SAUDI ARABIA
20110206_egypt-protests_33-620x300.jpg

A week after carrying out his ultimatum to depose President Mursi, General al-Sisi delivered a new 48-hour ultimatum to those alienated by his actions to end their protests against the military coup. Even as the general demanded that the protesters end their demonstrations, he called upon his own supporters to take to the streetsnationwide in order to give the army a “mandate” to confront its critics, whom he referred to as “terrorists.” This call to action was later parroted by Egypt’s interim president (a high-ranking member of the disgraced Mubarak regime, hand-picked by Gen. al-Sisi) and the tamarod “rebels.” Of course, this supposed license is ironic given that one of the common criticisms of President Mursi is that he overstepped his popular mandate—despite the overwhelming victory of his party in parliamentary elections, and its subsequent win in the presidential race. Apparently, while democratic elections do not empower their victors with a strong mandate, protests can give the SCAF legitimacy to do anything—first to commit a coup against Egypt’s first democratically-elected president less than a year into his term, and now it seems to restore the Mubarak-era police state.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303734204577468642662667770
The Return of Egypt's 'Deep State'
Last year's uprising gave Egypt the gift of free speech, but the liberals and youth of Tahrir Square are increasingly sidelined.

In Egypt, ‘Deep State’ vs. ‘Brotherhoodization’ | Brookings Institution
In Egypt, ‘Deep State’ vs. ‘Brotherhoodization’
By: Bessma Momani

During the short-lived rule of ousted Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood complained bitterly about the “deep state” (the bureaucracy, military, security services) while liberal-secularists accused the Brotherhood of consolidating power throughout Egypt in order to push through its conservative social policies. In rebutting these claims, each side accused the other of sheer paranoia.

And now, the impending decision on former dictator Hosni Mubarak’s release from prison will only give further political ammunition to the polarizing narrative in Egypt – and ultimately tip the balance in favour of one of these opposing arguments.

So I wonder if MB had ever prepared someone for the role of presidency (diplomacy), or Morsi's arrival to that post was shear circumstantial luck.

I am happy for Egypt reinforcing its defensive capabilities (the deal with Russia) and investing in its infrastructure (The double lane of the Suez canal), two positive outcomes in the middle of these turmoils.

Khairat Alshater- their initial candidate was barred for prior convictions.
Hazem Abu Ismail- was barred because he lied about his mother not being an American citizen

Egypt bars 10 candidates from presidential election | World news | theguardian.com

Morsi was nicknamed "elstebn" in Egypt, translating to, the spare tire.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60158000/jpg/_60158205_egyptsatire.jpg

Funny thing is the Suez Canal project was proposed by the MB.

Funny thing is that the expansion of the Suez Canal was around since Saddat's time, was proposed to Mubarak, featured in the presidential campaign of Ahmed Shafik, and Amr Moussa (but not Morsi). What's also funny is that the current project of building an opposite canal was not part of the original Suez Canal expansion plan.

شرف يبحث استراتيجية لتحويل قناة السويس إلي مركز أعمال عالمي
محور قناة السويس فكر هيئة التنمية الصناعية
طرح مناقصة مشروع قناة شرق بورسعيد نهاية العام بتكلفة 400 مليون جنيه وبطول 9 كيلو مترات | المصري اليوم
حكاية مشروع محور قناة السويس.. حسب الله الكفراوى صاحب الفكرة وطرحها على السادات نهاية السبعينيات.. وحفظت فى الأدراج فى عهد مبارك.. والسيسى اتخذ قرار التنفيذ.. والإخوان يحاولون نسبة المشروع لأنفسهم اليوم السابع

Last edited:
Funny thing is that the expansion of the Suez Canal was around since Saddat's time, was proposed to Mubarak, featured in the presidential campaign of Ahmed Shafik, and Amr Moussa (but not Morsi). What's also funny is that the current project of building an opposite canal was not part of the original Suez Canal expansion plan.

Post English links for the people here. Of course the idea was proposed before. Morsi was going to put it into action. But, when he proposed it 'public opinion'(Military elite media) began criticizing him by saying it would end Egyptian control over the canal.

Sisi then adopted the same exact plan and no 'public opinion' had a problem with it. He went on Al-Alam and said this by the way.

The best thing is the action we see, which translates to the economy being on top priorities of this government.

Special guest Sisi performing Umrah:

The head of deep state needs security, lots and lots of security. They can never get enough security.

Of course we can't question the 'democracy' here. I'm sure he will get re-elected four, five maybe six times more with high 90 figures.

The best thing is the action we see, which translates to the economy being on top priorities of this government.

Military economic priorities. The Egyptian military even is in control of a large portion of the economy. The elite in Egypt will be well off. Remember, I'm trying to represent the majority here which is poor. Read into it:

Egypt military's economic empire - Features - Al Jazeera English
https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/europe/9680-die-welt-egypts-army-is-its-real-economic-power

Last edited:
Post English links for the people here. Of course the idea was proposed before. Morsi was going to put it into action. But, when he proposed it 'public opinion'(Military elite media) began criticizing him by saying it would end Egyptian control over the canal.

Sisi then adopted the same exact plan and no 'public opinion' had a problem with it. He went on Al-Alam and said this by the way.

There aren't any English links, the news is too old and wasn't as significant as it is now.

The plan isn't the same, and the regulations for it are not the same either: It's a copy and paste but it will do:-

اللي حصل فعلاً هو إن مرسي خطط لـ تنفيذ المشروع فـ المنطقة بحيث إنها تكون ( منطقة منفصلة عن الدوله ) تحت إسم إقليم قناة السويس ( مادة رقم 1 الفقرة أ )

و خلى إدارة الإقليم ده لـ هيئة معينة تقوم بإدارته وتسيير جميع الأعمال العامة والخاصة فيه ( مادة رقم 1 الفقرات ج & د ) يعني لا وزارة موجودة .. ولا وزارة جديدة ، ولا هيئة تابعة لإشراف الدولة

والهيئة دي تتبع رئيس الجمهورية فقط مش أي جهة تانية فـ الدولة ( المادة 2 من الفصل التاني " أحكام عامة " )

كمان هو اللي يختار أعضائها هو رئيس الجمهورية فقط يعني لا برلمان ولا إنتخابات ولا أي معايير .. بالمزاج يعني ( مادة 7 من نفس الفصل )

كمان يبقالها موازنة منفصلة عن موزانة الدولة ( مادة 23 ) كمان الهيئة دي لها الحق فـ إصدار جميع القرارت والقوانين داخل الإقليم ده من تقسيم أرض & بيع أرض & إنشاء مواني & إنشاء مباني إدارية & أعمال عامة وخاصة ده هتلاقيه فـ( المادة 21 بجميع فقراتها الفرعية )

دا بجانب باقي المواد الكارثية اللي فـ القانون .. اللي محتاجة ساعتين كتابة ..
إقرأ المواد دي .. وشوف كده الإقليم بالحالة دي تابع للدولة ، ولا أصبح دولة لوحده !!
انا جبتلك أرقام المواد من قانون الإقليم اللي إتعمل فـ عهد مرسي عشان بس إختصاراً للوقت ومتدورش وتشكك

Rather than allowing the Suez Canal to become virtually an independent business, the current plan intends to keep it under Egyptian control, it is Egyptian funded, and Egyptian companies are working on it, plus shares will be made available to the
masses after the project is completed. Morsi's plan was attacked for good reason, it was flawed, much like every other plan
he had.

Everyone knows he won the election with 96.1%. For those who want to believe that, have at it. That isn't the point here. Morsi also won the election with 51%. During his terms critics were evaluating his performance and what he could bring to Egypt. One year into his term those critics called for a military coup. And you supported their right to criticize him.

Remember, when I told you that I and other critics will also evaluate Sisi in the same exact way? And you had no problem with that. Great then.

I am doing just that in this thread. You seem like you want to deny me that right.
it is your right you are free to criticize anyone but may i remind you that we agreed on 1 year it is ok what el sisi done in few months is a lot more than what morsi did in years in economy diplomacy security your problem with el sisi is the brotherhood but you have to accept the fact that majority of Egyptians are happy to see them gone

Of course we can't question the 'democracy' here. I'm sure he will get re-elected four, five maybe six times more with high 90 figures.

Military economic priorities. The Egyptian military even is in control of a large portion of the economy. The elite in Egypt will be well off. Remember, I'm trying to represent the majority here which is poor. Read into it:

I know that, and projects like this one will benefit the population in long term, since I am pretty sure that the so called elite in Egypt are in a shaky position right now , not knowing what to expect from the population in case of corruption.

Special guest Sisi performing Umrah:

The head of deep state needs security, lots and lots of security. They can never get enough security.

Funny this is in central Cairo, near where we have place in fact. He continues to have the same standard of presidential protection that his predecessor had, there have been no changes there. What the Saudi's decide to do is the Saudi's responsibility and nothing new for VIP's. Stick with valid criticism of the deep state, rather than these frankly superfluous criticisms.

president-sisi-cycling-outside-the-military-college-in-cairo-to-promote-citizens-to-walk-and-cycle-more.jpg

tour_0613.jpg

egypt_sisi_bike_april_2014.jpg

search

Find raw, hard data that backs up any claim of 15% to 40% of Egypt's economy is controlled by the military, I'm talking profit, net profit, GDP, company names and numbers, execs, and so on. It does have an empire (and that's for a reason) however, it's nowhere as big as what the article or any other article is reporting, without basis.

Funny this is in central Cairo, near where we have place in fact. He continues to have the same standard of presidential protection that his predecessor had, there have been no changes there. What the Saudi's decide to do is the Saudi's responsibility and nothing new for VIP's.

president-sisi-cycling-outside-the-military-college-in-cairo-to-promote-citizens-to-walk-and-cycle-more.jpg

tour_0613.jpg

egypt_sisi_bike_april_2014.jpg

search

Meh... deep state propaganda. Means nothing to me.

Same as the one seen here when he got kicked out of a Mosque (which happened a lot) and then attacked by a random lady (which was something new)

I would like to see someone do those things now. Democratic leaders know how to handle dissent. Dictators do not.

From earlier this year,

Egypt's censorship of comedian Bassem Youssef sends 'wrong message' | World news | The Observer
Egypt's censorship of comedian Bassem Youssef sends 'wrong message'
Three years after the pro-democracy protests began, freedom of speech faces a new challenge, says TV satirist.

Bassem-Youssef-Jon-Stewar-009.jpg

Jon Stewart presenting a Daily Show item about his friend and Egyptian opposite number Bassem Youssef
Early in November, millions of Egyptians switched on their televisions to watch the latest episode from the Middle East's most successful political comedian. But 10pm passed and Bassem Youssef did not appear. Instead, a newsreader read a statement from the channel's board:Youssef's show had been withdrawn.

It was a telling moment for free speech in Egypt, in the wake of the ousting of former president Mohamed Morsi. Youssef, a former heart surgeon, had become a poster boy for post-revolutionary Egypt in the months that followed the 2011 uprising. He was the most popular of the many Egyptians who took advantage of the freer political landscape to broadcast thoughts and jokes from their bedrooms to the internet. Youssef's satirical takes on politics first earned him millions of hits on YouTube, then the epithet of "Egypt's Jon Stewart", after the American satirist – before finally he got his own slick TV show, the first of its kind to feature a live audience in Egypt.

So when his own paymasters pulled Youssef's latest episode – the second of a new series that had lightly criticised many Egyptians' unthinking nationalism – many saw it as a sign of how the space for public discourse created by the revolution was vanishing fast under the de facto leadership of General Abdel Fatah al-Sisi.

I would like to see someone do those things now. Democratic leaders know how to handle dissent. Dictators do not.

Unfortunately, Morsi's response to dissent was much the same as Elsisi's. I,e send in the Central Security Forces. Morsi was not a democrat, nor is Elsisi, both have caused massive divisions in Egyptian society and both rule (or ruled in Morsi's case) by decree, ignoring the law and the constitution to get what they want if required.

There aren't any English links, the news is too old and wasn't as significant as it is now.

The plan isn't the same, and the regulations for it are not the same either: It's a copy and paste but it will do:-

Rather than allowing the Suez Canal to become virtually an independent business, the current plan intends to keep it under Egyptian control, it is Egyptian funded, and Egyptian companies are working on it, plus shares will be made available to the
masses after the project is completed. Morsi's plan was attacked for good reason, it was flawed, much like every other plan
he had.

As far as I'm aware that was something to be discussed later on. With issue to handling control of the project there going to be a board of Egyptians for that matter. I'm sure Egyptians contractors were to be used for the project. Not sure where you get this 'foreign' sense from.

If you mean by funding for the project most likely Sisi is going to get it from the Arab world.

As far as I'm aware that was something to be discussed later on. With issue to handling control of the project there going to be a board of Egyptians for that matter. I'm sure Egyptians contractors were to be used for the project. Not sure where you get this 'foreign' sense from.

If you mean by funding for the project most likely Sisi is going to get it from the Arab world.

Primary financial contributors were going to be the Gulf states, Saudi, UAE, and Qatar. Several Chinese (and other foreign) companies were being considered for some of the tender. Either way, that is now irrelevant, the previous government was
unable to get the project going (it was critcised but it was never actually stopped) and Elsisi has managed to get it going in
the space of a year, with the main focus of the project (which wasn't in Morsi's plan) to be completed in a year. Even if you
support Morsi or Sisi or whoever, this is a project to support, providing work for 15,000 families (of those doing the digging work alone) and potentially doubling the Suez Canals income (in the space of a year).

Back
Top Bottom