Egyptian security forces ‘storm Cairo mosque’

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Egyptian security forces ‘storm Cairo mosque’

Sat, Aug 17, 2013, 14:09

Egyptian security forces have stormed a Cairo mosque after firing tear gas at hundreds of Islamist supporters of the country’s ousted president who were barricaded inside.

Four children of the Imam of Ireland’s largest mosque were among those beseiged in the al-Fateh Mosque in the Ramses area. Omaima Halawa (21), her two sisters Somaia (27) and Fatima (23) along with their brother Ibrihim (17) sought refuge from violent clashes yesterday during a “Day of Rage” called by the Muslim Brotherhood. Their father is Hussein Halawa - the Imam of the mosque in Clonskeagh in Dublin.

Egypt’s official news agency Mena reported that gunmen opened fire on security forces from the mosque’s minaret. Local television stations broadcast live footage of soldiers firing assault rifles at the minaret.

A soldier holds his weapon on an armoured personnel carrier positioned outside Ramses Square in Cairo. Photograph: Louafi Larbi/ReutersEgypt considers dissolving Muslim Brotherhood
Supporters of ousted former president Mohamed Morsi gather in Cairo yesterday. Photograph: ReutersHope of a compromise in Egypt between army and Brotherhood has now vanished
A pro-Morsi demonstrator at Al-Nour mosque on Ramses Square in Cairo reacts as a friend who was wounded after security forces opened fire on protesters is treated. Photograph: Bryan Denton/The New York Times‘We thought they would leave us time to grieve’
A member of the Muslim Brotherhood and supporter of ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi wears a makeshift gas mask as others run away from shooting during clashes in front of Azbkya police station during clashes at Ramses Square in Cairo yesterday. Photograph: Reuters/Amr Abdallah DalshMasked men seen shooting protesters
Medical personnel help a pro-Morsi demonstrator at Al-Nour mosque on Ramses Square.

The Irish Times takes no responsibility for the content or availability of other websites.

Security forces reportedly rounded up protesters inside the mosque. The fate of the Halawa siblings is not known.

The protesters had barricaded themselves inside overnight out of fears of being beaten by vigilante mobs or being arrested by authorities. The mosque served as a field hospital and morgue following clashes yesterday in the area.

The interior ministry said 173 people died in clashes across Egypt yesterday, bringing the death toll from three days of carnage to almost 800.

Omaima Halawa spoke to The Irish Times from inside the mosque this afternoon as gunshots were being fired at her and the other protesters inside.

She said the mosque was surrounded by security forces, who had told everyone inside that they would be shot if they tried to flee the besieged building. She said they had been teargassed by police.

“We’re still surrounded inside the mosque, it is unsafe, they are not letting us leave,” she said. “People have been injured they have been firing at the mosque all night.”

Ms Halawa said t one woman has also died inside the mosque. She said those inside asked police to let her leave but were then refused. She also said they asked for medical treatment for the woman but were also refused.

She said tear gas bombs have been thrown inside the building, where they have been sheltering since yesterday evening. They have received no food and very little water since being there.

She called on the police to let them out peacefully. “We don’t want anything else. We have no hidden agenda,” she said. “There are many of us in here and we are all peaceful protesters.”

Egypt’s Nile News reported that about 10 people, mostly women, left the mosque today accompanying the body of a woman who died yesterday.

Ms Halawa was taking part in a demonstration when violence forced them into the mosque at about 7pm last night. Her family is now too scared to leave without help and assurances from a diplomat.

Egyptian security forces

Exchange of gunfire at besieged Cairo mosque

Last Modified: 17 Aug 2013 13:28

Security forces trade heavy fire with gunmen near mosque where up to 700 anti-coup protesters are reported to be trapped
Security forces and gunmen traded fire around a mosque near Cairo's Ramses Square where hundreds of anti-coup protesters remain trapped.

In chaotic scenes on Saturday, gun battles raged as the standoff around the Fateh mosque stretched into its second day, with hundreds of people inside unable or refusing to leave for fear, some said, of being attacked by crowds of "thugs" mingling with security forces outside.

Witnesses said security forces outside fired heavy bursts at the building after being shot at by unknown gunmen from the mosque's minarets.

One man, Waleed Attar, was among a group who managed to escape the building as gunfire erupted. He told Al Jazeera: "We didn't know where the bullets were coming from. Even the security forces took shelter. The gunmen were in plain clothes."

He said they managed to flee and avoid "thugs" waiting outside for stragglers. "We found our way between vehicles before the thugs could trap us, we ran for fear of being shot. Many of those trapped were being assaulted by thugs. They said we would all be slaughtered."

Earlier, speaking to Al Jazeera by phone from inside, protester Omaima Halawa said there was shooting inside and outside the building. Cracks of automatic gunfire and screaming could be heard in the background as she spoke. Halawa said there were about 700 people inside, including women and children.

A witness to the shooting, Abdel Kouddos, told Al Jazeera: "There were scenes of heavy gunfire. Police and security forces began firing at the minarets. Shortly after that there was fire from inside the mosque. it was unclear who was doing the shooting."

Anti-coup protesters found refuge in the mosque after a "day of rage" protests called by opponents of the country's military-led leadership turned to bloodshed.

Reports said at least 95 people were killed in Ramses Square when security forces fired on marchers - the worst violence witnessed on Friday.

The Fateh mosque was turned into both a morgue and a field hospital for those injured.

At least 173 people were killed and 1,330 others were injured nationwide, according to a government spokesman on Saturday.

Friday's marches were organised in response to police action on Wendesday to remove protesters from sit-ins calling for the return of the deposed president, Mohamed Morsi, and the end of military rule.

An estimated 600 people were killed in the operation.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/08/2013817123912506485.html

Victor will have the honor of being blown up to a thousand pieces by Israel, keep up fighting with each other. Stupid people.

egyptian people i never liked them
That hurts.. Is there is anything we can do to change your mind ?

Egyptian barbaric army!!! The poor Egyptians need FEA!
Islamists are barbaric, i am sure almost every civilized person would agree with me. I don't expect you to agree with me btw

It's an endgame for both army and islamists

This confrontation is dragging egypt in to the edge, it should be ended in soon

I never knew egyptians were such haramiis

I always thought they loved islam and they turn out to be some of the biggest haram-khor out there

someone block the nile and kill all the egyptians. no more death news everyday. disgusting people ...

You sho
That hurts.. Is there is anything we can do to change your mind ?

Islamists are barbaric, i am sure almost every civilized person would agree with me. I don't expect you to agree with me btw
You must have learned Civilization from Pharaoh, Italian Berlusconi, Geroge Bush 1or 2, Adolf Hitler..... I have not seen no one as brain washed as the dictators of the Arab world, they wag their tail so ferociously to their white masters that even their masters have to come up with a rescue plan for humanity to get rid of them, Look at the examples> Sadam Hussain, Qaddafi, Hosni Mubarik and Gen Sissi/Sissy ... You removed a democratically elected government and you don't want them to react. If some how out of Tahir sqaure mohammed al baradi had come out as winner would you have replaced him or had the courage to replace him. God damn these son of Pharaohs they kill their fellow citizens at a speed equal to their running from battle ground from Sinai desert. I really believe that many in Egyptian army has nothing to do with Islam or being a Muslim they are simple and plane butchers just like their fathers lying mummified in pyramids. God i hate Egyptian army more than i hate Israeli army.. as Isareils butchers arabs and these Egyptian butcher their own in the name of peace and civilization to please their real fathers

I hope soon people realize that we should not pollute our religion by mixing politics in it.

Then only then, mosques will be the place for spiritual enlightenment and politics will be played in parliaments and streets.

This thread was is more than a year old, why revive ?

Back
Top Bottom