What's new

egypt upgrading f16 to V standards.

there will still be useless as they cant fire bvraams. and their iff still see israeli jets as friends.

The AIM-7P is a beyond visual range missile so you're incorrect there. The US has not released its latest beyond visual range missile which has an active radar unlike the AIM-7, that is the disadvantage. You're also incorrect in presuming that Egyptian -16s are "useless" because they're hindered in one aspect when it's a multi role fighter.

That's not how IFF systems work.

24 rafale wont make up for 200+ f16's. the mk2's are old. and 48 mig 35's will help but with the r-77 not being advanced its no good.

These are initial orders.

Your assumption that the R-77 is somehow not advanced is based on what exactly?

Egyptian F-16s can't track Israeli jets.

Anything with a radar can track anything with a cross section.

One of the reasons the Turks replaced the friend and foe system on their F-16s.. Because they couldn't identify Israeli jets.

You mean the exact same jets they regularly exercised with?

Kill switches ain't .. But IFF system sure is:

FF systems couldn't differentiate between friendly and enemy fighters .. The Turks replaced them...

Egypt doesn't even have BVRs for those F-16s.. There is a reason they are buying French fighters.

You didn't read the article you posted. Well, the one from a respected defence orientated website.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considered as an ancestor of the RFID, the IFF was developed during World War II to identify friendly targets. Indeed, the acronym is improper, as the system can only identify friendly targets: if an IFF interrogation receives no reply or an invalid one, the target can’t be “declared” hostile.

IFF transponder systems are used by both military and civilian aircraft. Modern IFF have two-channels: one frequency is used for interrogating signals and another for the reply.

The interrogator’s coded signal consists of two pulses spaced at a precisely defined interval. The time interval between the two pulses, discriminated by the onboard transponder circuitry, determines the IFF Mode.

Modes 1, 2, 4 and 5 are used by military planes only whereas mode 3/A, C and S are used by both military and civilian planes. However, some military aircraft (for instance, the F-18E/F Super Hornet) have only Mode 1, 2, 3/A and C modes-capable IFF transponders with Mode 4 available only with specific upgrade fix.

Here’s a quick review of IFF transponders operative modes:

• Mode 1 provides a mission code (mil only)
  • Mode 2 provides the “tail number” or unit code that identifies a particular aircraft (mil only)
  • Mode 3/A – provides the ATC-assigned identification code for the aircraft (civ/mil)
  • Mode 4 provides a reply to crypto coded challenge (mil only)
  • Mode 5 provides the secured version of Mode S and ADS-B (mil only)
  • Mode C provides the aircraft’s pressure altitude (civ/mil)
  • Mode S provides multiple information formats to a selective interrogation (civ/mil)
Is the IFF linked to the missiles?

As said, the IFF enables quick identification of a friendly aircraft, but it is of little help when trying to identify hostile planes. It is not linked to the aircraft armament and (at least on the majority of the airplanes I know) it can’t prevent an interceptor from shooting at a “friendly” aircraft. T

Furthermore, IFF is automatically switched off when EMCON (Emission Control) is applied, hence, an adversary plane involved in an aggressive mission will likely have its IFF on stand-by….

“As far as I know, the IFF is not interconnected to the missile. The decision to fire and bring down a friendly plane it’s up to the pilot. At least, this is how our planes work” has explained to me an F-16 pilot I’ve inquired on this topic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Turks developed their own IFF systems in order to expand their indigenous aviation industry (in preparation for TFX) and were allowed to do so because they're a major NATO member.

They would have zero reason to designate IDF assets as enemy aircraft given that both nations regularly Ex together and consider themselves allies with several joint military projects.

So can we now please move on from this myth.

Crap report. Planes are old, not worth upgrading.

Which ones exactly?

The tweet is based on an interview in which the chief of the EAF said that they're in talks with the US to upgrade the -16s to the latest variant and introduce new armament starting with older models. He didn't specify which blocks though so I would guess the As and Bs are out of the question anyway since they're being retired.

If we take it from Peace Vector IV (1994-1995) to now (PV VII) that's potentially 111 vipers or over half the Egyptian fleet. Many of those aircraft haven't been in service for more than 15 years so a MLU (to Viper) and SLEP would actually be very possible if not perfect.

More aircraft could potentially be up for upgrades (PV III 47 16s delivered 91-95) if you consider several air forces are still MLU/SLEP Vipers that have been in service since the 80s. You also have to consider the USAF is planning to push their -16s beyond 2025 and many have breached 12000 hours of flying. The -16 has a lot of flying and fighting left to do.

Last edited:
The AIM-7P is a beyond visual range missile so you're incorrect there. The US has not released its latest beyond visual range missile which has an active radar unlike the AIM-7, that is the disadvantage. You're also incorrect in presuming that Egyptian -16s are "useless" because they're hindered in one aspect when it's a multi role fighter.

That's not how IFF systems work.
remind me how old is it? and do you think israel the advance country it is would have the the ability to use ew counter measures to defeat the aim-7? and at 70km is like the range of the mica

These are initial orders.

Your assumption that the R-77 is somehow not advanced is based on what exactly?
i dont think so. 24 is enough for the suez canal
based on that it has not been upgraded beyond the use of fourth gen aircraft and the r77 is made to fit the pak-fa.

remind me how old is it? and do you think israel the advance country it is would have the the ability to use ew counter measures to defeat the aim-7? and at 70km is like the range of the mica

based on that it has not been upgraded beyond the use of fourth gen aircraft and the r77 is made to fit the pak-fa.
Old F16's in Israel are phasing out for newly F35's.
first ones should get here in 12 to December this year

It's old as hell but that isn't the point. The point is what you wrote isn't accurate.

No missile is completely averse to ECM.

The quoted top range of a missile is in pretty much all cases absolutely useless. The US scored five kills in Desert Storm with BVRAAM. Three of them at 13nm and the other two 16nm and 8.5nm. Visual range is 20nm.

This isn't that simple.

I'm not interested in what you think when the chief of the Egyptian Air Force makes it abundantly clear that these are initial orders.

R-77M look it up. Also look up the proposed ramjet variant which will compete with the MBDA Meteor. The Russians know their shit when it comes to missiles.

Which ones exactly?

The tweet is based on an interview in which the chief of the EAF said that they're in talks with the US to upgrade the -16s to the latest variant and introduce new armament starting with older models. He didn't specify which blocks though so I would guess the As and Bs are out of the question anyway since they're being retired.

If we take it from Peace Vector IV (1994-1995) to now (PV VII) that's potentially 111 vipers or over half the Egyptian fleet. Many of those aircraft haven't been in service for more than 15 years so a MLU (to Viper) and SLEP would actually be very possible if not perfect.

More aircraft could potentially be up for upgrades (PV III 47 16s delivered 91-95) if you consider several air forces are still MLU/SLEP Vipers that have been in service since the 80s. You also have to consider the USAF is planning to push their -16s beyond 2025 and many have breached 12000 hours of flying. The -16 has a lot of flying and fighting left to do.
PV IV are block 40.

Block 15 are from PV I - 1982-1985. Thats about 30 years old.

I've read it again, It says "features of F-16V", not full upgrade to F-16V standard. Thats very different things. Surely no one will put AESA radar on 30 year old jet.

Old F16's in Israel are phasing out for newly F35's.
first ones should get here in 12 to December this year
F-16 block 15 in Israel are used only for training.

PV IV are block 40.

Block 15 are from PV I - 1982-1985. Thats about 30 years old.

I've read it again, It says "features of F-16V", not full upgrade to F-16V standard. Thats very different things. Surely no one will put AESA radar on 30 year old jet.
All the upgradable ones will become V (full) and some others will add some V features..

You did it (worst) with the Kfir you are trying to sell!!!

we saw lately that pakistan upgraded all f16 to blk52 standard.so why why camt egypt
coz these are free planes provided by usa with no BVR capability
even if u upgrade them if you have no weapons what use are they..

Back
Top Bottom