What's new

Egypt eyes to buy Turkish unmanned aerial vehicles

BordoEnes

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
According to an executive at Turkish Aerospace Industries, the new Egyptian government is interested in buying Turkey-made unmanned planes. Some Middle East countries prefer Turkey rather than Israel or the US, defense experts say. Turkey will also sell six multi-role tactical platform naval vessels to the North African country

egypt-eyes-to-buy-turkish-unmanned-aerial-vehicles-2011-09-19_l.jpg

Turkish Aerospace Industries executives believe demand for Anka aircraft will be high once the vehicle’s airworthiness and qualification testing period is over. Hürriyet photo
Egypt is interested in buying made-in-Turkey unmanned aerial vehicles called Anka from a Turkish defense company, the Hürriyet Daily News has learned.

Egyptian and Turkish authorities talked about a possible future agreement to sell made-in-Turkey unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, to Egypt during the visit of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to Egypt last week.

Regional demand

“Many countries in the Middle East, ranging from North African countries to Saudi Arabia, are interested in the Anka Male [medium altitude, long endurance] unmanned aerial vehicle system that we produce,” the Vice President of Turkish Aerospace Industries, or TAI’s, Integrated Aircraft Systems Özcan Ertem told the Hürriyet Daily News in an interview on Monday.

Ertem said a large number of countries – especially in the Middle East – have been closely following the developments in the production of UAVs in Turkey. “I believe once the airworthiness and qualification testing period is over, there will be a high potential market for us to export our Ankas,” he said. “But we can only sell to countries that our government considers appropriate.”

The production process of the first series of UAVs is over now, and Anka has already started its flight test campaign, according to Ertem. The testing period with electro-optic sensors is expected to be concluded in the spring.

High capacity

Compared to the U.S.-made Predator and the Israel-made Heron, the Anka is a larger UAV and has the capacity to carry heavier loads, Ertem said. “The Anka has the capacity to carry up to 500 kilograms of sensors and fuel. Besides, different than our competitors, we have chosen a special engine system that runs on jet fuel, because it is available at every air base.”

There are three countries in the world that produce similar UAVs: Israel, the U.S. and Turkey. There are almost 15 countries interested in buying Turkey’s version of the UAV, and because of political reasons, some countries in the Middle East prefer Turkey rather than Israel or the U.S., defense experts say.

Turkey will also sell six multi-role tactical platform, or MRTP-20, naval vessels to Egypt, the Daily News has learned.

A contract on the procurement and manufacturing of six Onuk MRTP-20 fast-intervention crafts has been signed between Egypt’s Ministry of Defense and Yonca-Onuk JV – a Turkish company that specializes in commercial and naval craft manufacturing, according to the latter’s director for strategic planning, Armağan Ortaç.

Three boats will be constructed in Istanbul and the others in Egypt’s Alexandria shipyard with technology transfer. Moreover, Yonca-Onuk JV will provide all the material kits to be used during the construction in Alexandria.

The project will be completed 31.5 after the contract comes into effect. Harbor acceptance and sea acceptance tests have been completed for the first boat, which will be shipped to Egypt by the end of the month.

Monday, September 19, 2011
İPEK YEZDANİ – ipek.yezdani@hurriyet.com.tr
ISTANBUL – Hürriyet Daily News
Short URL: Egypt eyes to buy Turkish unmanned aerial vehicles | TR Defence

Finally!! Now we talking... Can we only say this is a start ?

I Think it was already quit obvious that Egypte and other mid-eastern countries where going to buy Turkish UAVs rather then Israeli or US made ones. And especialy egypte:)

I Think it was already quit obvious that Egypte and other mid-eastern countries where going to buy Turkish UAVs rather then Israeli or US made ones. And especialy egypte:)
Well, that is the common sense, but i haven't seen very irrelevant things happen in the past before, lol

We should also develop for both ourselves and our allies early warning radar intended to detect incoming military assets, both friendly and hostile. Egypt cannot afford to once again be a victim to a war of aggression.

Like we did in the past under dictator Mubarak we should continue upgrading the Egyptian airforce's F-16s when new technologies become available.

We should also develop for both ourselves and our allies early warning radar intended to detect incoming military assets, both friendly and hostile. Egypt cannot afford to once again be a victim to a war of aggression.

Like we did in the past under dictator Mubarak we should continue upgrading the Egyptian airforce's F-16s when new technologies become available.

We have some pretty good radar technologies at our disposal we are already in a joint venture for AESA radars we could help regarding this matter.

This plus the news of us eyeing the ATAK helicopter clearly shows who are the new allies in the region. Turkey-Egypt-Saudi Arabia alliance.....this is one fearsome combination.

It would be, but Saudi Arabia and Egypt HAVE to learn from Turkey regarding Human Rights, and freedom, other than that, it would be very hard for Turkey to stand with us... It got very hard for Turkey to stick with Iran because of Iran's relation with the rest of the world and because of their nuclear ambition. It would be the same if Egypt and Saudi Arabia don't improve in those areas in my mind.

That is a very good idea.....I think some of the Egyptian F-16s were made in Turkey, it would be smart to continue upgrading them in Turkey.

Yerli sava? helikopterine bir talip daha! - En Son Makro Ekonomi Haberleri - HTEkonomi

T-129 is already partisipating in the Korean tender for attack helicopters and got now interest from Saudi Arabia who is planning to include the T-129 in her tender.
Great news if you tell me, i been saying this for a while, Egypt and all the Muslim countries should co-operate togther, why would we buy an Apatchi or a cobra when you guys have T-129 ? Same reason i been on record about Egypt getting the JF-17. Muslim countries should build their own weapons, its time already and they should buy it from eachother because that is how you improve a certain weapon.

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

That is a good start :-)
Egypt eyes to buy Turkish unmanned aerial vehicles - Hurriyet Daily News

Personelly, I want the countries like S. Arabia, Egypt, Azerbaijan and Pakistan as a partner of the development of Turkish SAM programs (Low and Medium altitude). Those are really expensive and strategic systems that Western countries just sell the downgraded versions of their systems. (Turkey is paying almost 1 billion $ for R&D phase of those domestic systems) Think the Western news tittles about it...
"Muslim Alliance of SAM" All Muslim airspaces have been protected by same family of SAM missile systems connected among eachothers under same network. Every country have own network command-control center and Same radars developed by same team have been searching Muslim land....

This dream makes me excited so much !!!

Back
Top Bottom