What's new

Egypt considers BANNING women from wearing the niqab veil after MP argues it is a JEWISH tradition a

Banning anything had never solved any problem neither it would.
So do you accept that wearing niqab is a problem?

I think banning is necessary as it will send the crucial signal to the society that wearing niqab is not good for women,Both physically and psychologically. Every living being has the right to breath in this world freely.But niqab deny that right to woman.Niqab is a piece of cloth which make woman faceless,but as we know,face is the identity of a human being.You remove that identity from a woman she will cease to be a humanbeing.It will make woman less confident,more hesitant of dealing various situation in life.

Apart from the negative effect of burqa and niqab as a cloth which is very uncomfortable to wear(Imagine that wearing in a hot,humid climate!) it also destroy the self-confidence and produce psychological dependency and inferiority relative to men. Imagine your primary concern is maintaining a total blackout of yourself from the men who dominate the outside world, do you think you will be able to achieve same freedom,opportunity in life and happiness like a man? Entire world is like a prison for you from which you want to escape and revert back to your small confined room where nobody will be able to see you.Do you think this psychological mindset is anyway healthy for a woman?

I am not a woman so I don't wear the burqa,but many female relative of mine do wear it.But I clearly understand the invisible evil this hjab-niqab things is doing to the woman folk.

Last edited:
So do you accept that wearing niqab is a problem?

If enforced yes it is, if by free will then NO it is not.

I think banning is necessary as it will send the crucial signal to the society that wearing niqab is not good for women,Both physically and psychologically. Every living being has the right to breath in this world freely.But niqab deny that right to woman.Niqab is a piece of cloth which make woman faceless,but as we know,face is the identity of a human being.You remove that identity from a woman she will cease to be a humanbeing.It will make woman less confident,more hesitant of dealing various situation in life.

Apart from the negative effect of burqa and niqab as a cloth which is very uncomfortable to wear(Imagine that wearing in a hot,humid climate!) it also destroy the self-confidence and produce psychological dependency and inferiority relative to men. Imagine your primary concern is maintaining a total blackout of yourself from the men who dominate the outside world, do you think you will be able to achieve same freedom,opportunity in life and happiness like a man? Entire world is like a prison for you from which you want to escape and revert back to your small confined room where nobody will be able to see you.Do you think this psychological mindset is anyway healthy for a woman?

I am not a woman so I don't wear the burqa,but many female relative of mine do wear it.But I clearly understand the invisible evil this hjab-niqab things is doing to the woman folk.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah well it did not destroy my self-confidence ;) neither jeans made me any less human or less Muslim.

The end of the discussion is that you MEN are nobody to regulate our bodies.

@OverLoad indeed the matter need to be addressed within the limitations defined by Islam. I am no expert but one thing for sure, Islam is not based or required our logics so better to be practiced as per rules and laws already defined in Quran & Sunnah. I wouldn't care about the lady or gentleman even though holds any superior degree but indeed such subject should be viewed within boundaries of Islam that has vastly taught each & everything in detail.

Hopefully this will clear many things.

Niqab-According to Qur'an and Sunnah
I am no scholar of Islam and also a non followers of commercial mullahs on the pulpit. I visited the link mentioned in this post and right in the beginning came across

"
The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ahzab 33:5
O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

As accepted by all words in brackets are not divine words but placed in by a third party. It has been placed to propagate third party's understanding and perspective. What is a cloak

" A cloak is a type of loose garment that is worn over indoor clothing and serves the same purpose as an overcoat; it protects the wearer from the cold, rain or wind for example, or it may form part of a fashionable outfit or uniform. Cloaks have been used by myriad historic societies; many climates favor wearing a full-body garment which is easily removed and does not constrain the wearer with sleeves. Over time cloak designs have been changed to match fashion and available textiles.

Cloaks generally fasten at the neck or over the shoulder, vary in length, from hip all the way down to the ankle, mid-calf being the normal length. They may have an attached hood, and may cover and fasten down the front, in which case they have holes or slits for the hands to pass through. However, cloaks are almost always sleeveless."
images
upload_2016-3-17_16-2-38.jpeg
images
images

Veil in no way can be used as synonym for cloak. Problem with most of the people is that they read Holy Quran with words in brackets and adopts understanding of a third party. Lets have a look at the verse again without explanation in brackets.

"
O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks all over their bodies . That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

This becomes more meaningful. By taking a cloak women can easily conceal their body curves. When no curves are visible they will avoid remarks by unscrupulous people. Pregnant women will avoid unwanted people staring at her. In both the cases will avoid any annoyance caused to them by act of others. Yet they will be recognisable and identifiable. Look at it in current day scenario where criminals can hide behind the veil and proceed with their activities. Moreover, face is the identity, had it not been so each individual would not have been made with different face. Face is a bio-metrics system of recognition just like fingerprints, iris, lip prints, etc. each body part is a type of biometeric identification.

I am no scholar of Islam and also a non followers of commercial mullahs on the pulpit. I visited the link mentioned in this post and right in the beginning came across

"
O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

As accepted by all words in brackets are not divine words but placed in by a third party. It has been placed to propagate third party's understanding and perspective. What is a cloak

" A cloak is a type of loose garment that is worn over indoor clothing and serves the same purpose as an overcoat; it protects the wearer from the cold, rain or wind for example, or it may form part of a fashionable outfit or uniform. Cloaks have been used by myriad historic societies; many climates favor wearing a full-body garment which is easily removed and does not constrain the wearer with sleeves. Over time cloak designs have been changed to match fashion and available textiles.

Cloaks generally fasten at the neck or over the shoulder, vary in length, from hip all the way down to the ankle, mid-calf being the normal length. They may have an attached hood, and may cover and fasten down the front, in which case they have holes or slits for the hands to pass through. However, cloaks are almost always sleeveless."
images
View attachment 299245
images
images

Veil in no way can be used as synonym for cloak. Problem with most of the people is that they read Holy Quran with words in brackets and adopts understanding of a third party. Lets have a look at the verse again without explanation in brackets.

"
O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks all over their bodies . That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

This becomes more meaningful. By taking a cloak women can easily conceal their body curves. When no curves are visible they will avoid remarks by unscrupulous people. Pregnant women will avoid unwanted people staring at her. In both the cases will avoid any annoyance caused to them by act of others. Yet they will be recognisable and identifiable. Look at it in current day scenario where criminals can hide behind the veil and proceed with their activities. Moreover, face is the identity, had it not been so each individual would not have been made with different face. Face is a bio-metrics system of recognition just like fingerprints, iris, lip prints, etc. each body part is a type of biometeric identification.
That is what i want to say...

Look at it in current day scenario where criminals can hide behind the veil and proceed with their activities. Moreover, face is the identity, had it not been so each individual would not have been made with different face. Face is a bio-metrics system of recognition just like fingerprints, iris, lip prints, etc. each body part is a type of biometeric identification

Indeed I am not the scholar and wouldn't go in deep about something that i don't know. Rest about words in bracket, such interpretation could have been added but after the consent of most or in majority of Islamic Scholars however, as you mentioned about the threats being faced now a days due to security concerns that criminal could hide themselves taking advantage of Cloak, Veil etc, I read it somewhere that it depends on Islamic government that could order in case where the words are not clear. Likewise, Niqab or Hijab or two different things but in second case scenario, no scholar has strongly opposed but reservations were told as per school otherwise, citizens have to follow the government's order where it deem fit to apply Hijab instead of Niqab due to security threats etc that may cause damage to populace. So different interpretations by different scholars in case of Niqab but Hijab is all agreed by everyone. However, Hadith about veil as follows:

Hadith - Bukhari 6:282
'Aisha(R.A.) used to say: "When (the Verse): 'They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms,' was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces."

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin
When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

The lower half of the hijab is a garment that does not show the woman's figure. Jeans and certain obvious garments do not meet this requirement.

In Fathul Bari, chapter Hajj, a tradition reported on the authority of Aisha (RA) says:
"A woman in a state of Ihram (during Hajj and Umrah) should stretch her head - cloth over to her face to hide it."

Hadith - Recorded by Ahmad, Abu Dawud and ibn Majah, Narrated 'Aisha. [In his work Jilbab al-Marah al-Muslimah, al-Albani states (p. 108) that it is hasan due to corroborating evidence. Also, in a narration from Asma, Asma also covered her face at all times in front of men.]

Narrated 'Aisha (RA) who said, "The riders would pass us while we were with the Messenger of Allah ). When they got close to us, we would draw our outer cloak from our heads over our faces. When they passed by, we would uncover our faces."

According to Shaikh ibn Uthaimin, "she is not required to cover her face during the prayer unless there are non-related men around her. She must then cover her face from them, as it is not allowed for a woman to uncover her face except to her husband and her male relatives i.e., mahram."

If a woman is not around any non-mahram men and does not fear that any will enter her area of salah, she may reveal her face and hands. This is agreed upon by the group of scholars.

So, whether agreeing that niqab is required or not, one must surely acknowledge that it is a desirous sign of piety. What better example of sunnah to follow for a muslimah than that of the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) and his wives RA. Every Muslimah is encouraged to cover to the fullest, showing only one or both eyes.

A woman does not have to wear a niqab (affixed veil), but she should emulate the female companions by using her hijab or other items, to lift and cover her face when a non-mahram man approaches, even during ihram (hajj), as this is in accordance with sunnah.

Though I do not want to further discussion on the subject as everyone is responsible for their own self and has a right to practice code of dress, irrespective whether inline with Quranic or islamic or western. It is individuals act. Nevertheless, I have following points to mention.

The lower half of the hijab is a garment that does not show the woman's figure. Jeans and certain obvious garments do not meet this requirement.

In Fathul Bari, chapter Hajj, a tradition reported on the authority of Aisha (RA) says:
"A woman in a state of Ihram (during Hajj and Umrah) should stretch her head - cloth over to her face to hide it."

Is it practiced in today's Ihram? I suppose no and none of the religious school of thoughts has any objection on it not even Saudi government.

Narrated 'Aisha (RA) who said, "The riders would pass us while we were with the Messenger of Allah ). When they got close to us, we would draw our outer cloak from our heads over our faces. When they passed by, we would uncover our faces."
It is very clear from this narration that it was personal preference of Aisha (RA) to draw the CLOAK over her face not an instruction. In normal circumstances the face was open.

According to Shaikh ibn Uthaimin, "she is not required to cover her face during the prayer unless there are non-related men around her. She must then cover her face from them, as it is not allowed for a woman to uncover her face except to her husband and her male relatives i.e., mahram."

If a woman is not around any non-mahram men and does not fear that any will enter her area of salah, she may reveal her face and hands. This is agreed upon by the group of scholars.
Women cannot offer prayers in the presence of Na Mehram.

The point which i wanted to highlight in my previous post is that there is no obligation of having veil in Islam. It is followers own interpretation. My point is substantiated by the fact that Islam is an extension of all the divine religions before it i.e Jewism and Christianity. In both these religions it has been the cloak which women were asked to wear and not veil. Veil is something which is traditional among cultures. It in no way becomes part of Islam and is only a cultural tradition.

It is very clear from this narration that it was personal preference of Aisha (RA) to draw the CLOAK over her face not an instruction. In normal circumstances the face was open

I was merely trying to express that indeed Um-e-Aisha (R.A) set an example but hard press or strict behavior was not opted in case where one has to cover the face but shared that our sisters would follow the same due to the respect & post of Um-e-Aisha (R.A). (ALLAH may forgive us if committing sin here).

Veil, cloak, Burqa, Khimar etc are just names of the almost same dresses (Traditional) though one need to adopt the way by covering her body as asked even by way of Shawl (Chadar) etc to serve the purpose within the limitation indeed.

Thanks for the post and am also not going to deep but merely wanted to express my point. We both might be agreeing on the same point though sometimes words aren't good enough.
ALLAH may guide us with right education (Ameen).

Regards,

Well this isnt recent news - its well known. Islam was deeply influenced by Christianity and Judaism around 800-1100 AD.
Stoning, self-harm, and gender segregation ect... are Christian traditions as well; half of the things we practice have no mention in the Quran or Hadith.

Vast majority of women are forced to wear those potato sacks under the familial and societal pressure.Do you think any molla will tolerate their wives or daughters walking on street without those sacks?
By the way, Good job done by Egypt. :tup:They earned my respect when they whipped the asses of muslim brotherhood.Now that increases several fold.
Its a culture clash and the way you interpret a practice or belief without corresponding culture. The Idea of the Niqab is to avoid harassment in the streets. The same way you say they are under social pressure - the same way I can say that women in the west are under social pressure to reveal their bodies more. Who is right and who is wrong?

ج ل ب " مادے سے ببنے والے صرف 2 الفاظ الکتاب میں درج ہیں اللہ پیلی آیت میں ابلیس کو بتا رہا ہے ، کہ کس طرح اُس نے انسانوں پر أَجْلِبْ کرنا ہے بالکل اسی طرح اللہ ازواج و بنات النبی اور نشاء المؤمنین کو بتا رہا ہے کہ انہوں نے اذیت سے بچنے کے لئے کم از کم اپنی پہچان اپنے جلابیب سے بنائیں ۔

(وَاسْتَفْزِزْ مَنِ اسْتَطَعْتَ مِنْهُم بِصَوْتِكَ وَأَجْلِبْ عَلَيْهِم بِخَيْلِكَ وَرَجِلِكَ وَشَارِكْهُمْ فِي الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَوْلَادِ وَعِدْهُمْ وَمَا يَعِدُهُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ إِلَّا غُرُورًا ﴿17/64

(33/59) يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُل لِّأَزْوَاجِكَ وَبَنَاتِكَ وَنِسَاءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَابِيبِهِنَّ ذَٰلِكَ أَدْنَىٰ أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلَا يُؤْذَيْنَ وَكَانَ اللَّـهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

پھر اللہ بات صرف پہچان کی حد تک نہیں کروا رہا بلکہ ، اگلی تین آیات میں اپنی سنت کو وضاحت کی ہے ۔ کہ ملعونوں کو کس طرح ترتیب وار ڈیل کیا جائے گا ۔ اگر اولی الامر میں دم نہیں ، تو جلیباب کی آیت ساکت ہے ۔

لَّئِن لَّمْ يَنتَهِ الْمُنَافِقُونَ وَالَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ وَالْمُرْجِفُونَ فِي الْمَدِينَةِ لَنُغْرِيَنَّكَ بِهِمْ ثُمَّ لَا يُجَاوِرُونَكَ فِيهَا إِلَّا قَلِيلًا (33/60)
مَّلْعُونِينَ ۖ أَيْنَمَا ثُقِفُوا أُخِذُوا وَقُتِّلُوا تَقْتِيلًا(33/61)
سُنَّةَ اللَّـهِ فِي الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِن قَبْلُ ۖ وَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّةِ اللَّـهِ تَبْدِيلًا (33/62)

اگر اولی الامر میں دم نہیں ، کہ وہ (33/60) اور (33/61) کے مطابق ملعونوں کے خلاف عملی اقدام کر سکے تو پھر ملعنوں کی وہی کوشش ہو گی جو ابلیس کی اللہ نے بتائی ہے ۔

(وَاسْتَفْزِزْ مَنِ اسْتَطَعْتَ مِنْهُم بِصَوْتِكَ وَأَجْلِبْ عَلَيْهِم بِخَيْلِكَ وَرَجِلِكَ وَشَارِكْهُمْ فِي الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَوْلَادِ وَعِدْهُمْ وَمَا يَعِدُهُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ إِلَّا غُرُورًا ﴿17/64
اور یقیناً تو اپنی استطاعت کی مطابق اُن میں فزز کرے گا ۔ اور اُس فزز کے لئے تو اپنے پروپیگنڈے سے اپنے خیالات اور مردانگی سمیت اُن پر أَجْلِبْ کرے گا ۔ اُن کے اموال اور اولاد میں شراکت (کرتے ہوئے اپنا حصہ وصول) کرے گا اور اور اُن کو وعید دے گا ۔ الشیطان کو وعید سوائے (جھوٹے) غرور کے علاوہ کچھ نہیں ۔
صرف جھوٹا غرور ، ہم یہ کر دیں گے ، ہم وہ کردیں گے ، ہم عبرت ناک سزا دیں گے ، ہم داستام بنادیں گے ۔ ۔ ۔!
اور اِس بات کو بھی اللہ نے ریکارڈ کر دیا ہے ۔
آپ لوگوں نے یہ آیات پڑھی ہوں مگت دھیان نہیں دیا ہوگا ۔

(وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُعْجِبُكَ قَوْلُهُ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَيُشْهِدُ اللَّـهَ عَلَىٰ مَا فِي قَلْبِهِ وَهُوَ أَلَدُّ الْخِصَامِ (2/205

وَإِذَا تَوَلَّىٰ سَعَىٰ فِي الْأَرْضِ لِيُفْسِدَ فِيهَا وَيُهْلِكَ الْحَرْثَ وَالنَّسْلَ ۗ وَاللَّـهُ لَا يُحِبُّ الْفَسَادَ (2/206)

IMO, peoples consider their traditional/country/area views about women as religion, Islam is very clear about how should a women cover herself.

In al-Ahzab, verse 59, Allah gives the following command to Prophet Muhammad:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ, قُلْ لأَزْوَاجِكَ وَ بَنَاتِكَ وَ نِسآءِ الْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ: يُدْنِيْنَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِنْ جَلاَبِيْبِهِنَّ...

“O Prophet! Say to your wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that: they should let down upon themselves their jalabib.

What is the meaning of “jalabib”?
Jalabib جَلاَبِيْبٌ is the plural of jilbabجِلْبَابٌ , which means a loose outer garment. See any Arabic dictionary like Lisanu ’l-‘Arab, Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn or al-Munjid.

Al-Munjid, for instance, defines jilbab as “the shirt or a wide dress—القميص أو الثوب الواسع.” While al-Turayhi, in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn, defines it as “a wide dress, wider than the scarf and shorter than a robe, that a woman puts upon her head and lets it down on her bosom...”5

This means that the Islamic dress code for women does not only consist of a scarf that covers the head, the neck and the bosom; it also includes the overall dress that should be long and loose.

So, for instance, the combination of a tight, short sweater with tight-fitting jeans with a scarf over the head does not fulfill the requirements of the Islamic dress code.

@OverLoad @The Eagle

ج ل ب " مادے سے ببنے والے صرف 2 الفاظ الکتاب میں درج ہیں اللہ پیلی آیت میں ابلیس کو بتا رہا ہے ، کہ کس طرح اُس نے انسانوں پر أَجْلِبْ کرنا ہے بالکل اسی طرح اللہ ازواج و بنات النبی اور نشاء المؤمنین کو بتا رہا ہے کہ انہوں نے اذیت سے بچنے کے لئے کم از کم اپنی پہچان اپنے جلابیب سے بنائیں ۔

(33/59) يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُل لِّأَزْوَاجِكَ وَبَنَاتِكَ وَنِسَاءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَابِيبِهِنَّ ذَٰلِكَ أَدْنَىٰ أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلَا يُؤْذَيْنَ وَكَانَ اللَّـهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

پھر اللہ بات صرف پہچان کی حد تک نہیں کروا رہا بلکہ ، اگلی تین آیات میں اپنی سنت کو وضاحت کی ہے ۔ کہ ملعونوں کو کس طرح ترتیب وار ڈیل کیا جائے گا ۔ اگر اولی الامر میں دم نہیں ، تو جلیباب کی آیت ساکت ہے ۔

لَّئِن لَّمْ يَنتَهِ الْمُنَافِقُونَ وَالَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ وَالْمُرْجِفُونَ فِي الْمَدِينَةِ لَنُغْرِيَنَّكَ بِهِمْ ثُمَّ لَا يُجَاوِرُونَكَ فِيهَا إِلَّا قَلِيلًا (33/60)
مَّلْعُونِينَ ۖ أَيْنَمَا ثُقِفُوا أُخِذُوا وَقُتِّلُوا تَقْتِيلًا(33/61)
سُنَّةَ اللَّـهِ فِي الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِن قَبْلُ ۖ وَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّةِ اللَّـهِ تَبْدِيلًا (33/62)

اگر اولی الامر میں دم نہیں ، کہ وہ (33/60) اور (33/61) کے مطابق ملعونوں کے خلاف عملی اقدام کر سکے تو پھر ملعنوں کی وہی کوشش ہو گی جو ابلیس کی اللہ نے بتائی ہے ۔

اور یقیناً تو اپنی استطاعت کی مطابق اُن میں فزز کرے گا ۔ اور اُس فزز کے لئے تو اپنے پروپیگنڈے سے اپنے خیالات اور مردانگی سمیت اُن پر أَجْلِبْ کرے گا ۔ اُن کے اموال اور اولاد میں شراکت (کرتے ہوئے اپنا حصہ وصول) کرے گا اور اور اُن کو وعید دے گا ۔ الشیطان کو وعید سوائے (جھوٹے) غرور کے علاوہ کچھ نہیں ۔
صرف جھوٹا غرور ، ہم یہ کر دیں گے ، ہم وہ کردیں گے ، ہم عبرت ناک سزا دیں گے ، ہم داستام بنادیں گے ۔ ۔ ۔!
اور اِس بات کو بھی اللہ نے ریکارڈ کر دیا ہے ۔
آپ لوگوں نے یہ آیات پڑھی ہوں مگت دھیان نہیں دیا ہوگا ۔

(وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُعْجِبُكَ قَوْلُهُ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَيُشْهِدُ اللَّـهَ عَلَىٰ مَا فِي قَلْبِهِ وَهُوَ أَلَدُّ الْخِصَامِ (2/205

وَإِذَا تَوَلَّىٰ سَعَىٰ فِي الْأَرْضِ لِيُفْسِدَ فِيهَا وَيُهْلِكَ الْحَرْثَ وَالنَّسْلَ ۗ وَاللَّـهُ لَا يُحِبُّ الْفَسَادَ (2/206)

Back
Top Bottom