What's new

Economists React: China’s GDP Growth Slows to 7.7%

kawaraj

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Reuters

China’s first-quarter economic growth slowed to 7.7% on a year-on-year basis, disappointing economists who had expected a median 8%, according to a Journal survey. The data suggest China’s economic growth is slowing after a second-half revival last year. It also helps explain why Chinese officials in recent weeks have opened liquidity floodgates and pumped new money into the system.
OB-XB379_0415cr_G_20130415023253.jpg

Analysts weigh in:

March activity data surprised on the downside, indicating continued weakness in activity growth. Only retail sales rebounded amid significantly lower consumer price inflation, possibly reflecting the disappearance of distortions from the leap year effects and some rebound in dining and wining activities after Chinese New Year. Other activity indicators fell on a [year-on-year] basis even given this probable distortion, which suggests continued weakness in activity growth momentum. … the continued weakness in manufacturing recovery and tightening in the property sector may continue to weigh on investment and growth in the next few months. Furthermore, we believe continued anti-corruption measures will also maintain pressure on high end consumption activities.—Yu Song, Li Cui, MK Tang Goldman Sachs GS*+0.03%

Indeed, 2013 is starting to look eerily like 2012: Last year, a ramp-up in economic activity through the first few months proved short-lived, precipitating a mid-year slump and an aggressive policy response. Unfortunately, the cost of repeating this strategy looks to be prohibitively high. Another year of propped-up growth via state spending and a credit deluge would, we fear, push China dangerously close to proving Wen Jiabao correct—that the current economic model is “unsustainable.” If something is unsustainable, at some point, it won’t be sustained. … Despite the weakness, we don’t think Q1 data will convince the government to move to an all-out loosening stance again, given employment appears to be holding up. However, financial market distress has resurfaced in some weak spots, so credit is unlikely to be tightened dramatically with a view towards avoiding defaults. In short, there is plenty more downside risk out there than upside risk. We have lost confidence in a robust recovery. —Xianfeng Ren, Alistar Thornton, IHS

The economy in the near term still faces some downside risks: The outbreak of avian flu, the front-loading effects in the property market, and signs of slowed investment momentum could all sidetrack Q2 growth significantly. *While a prudent monetary policy stance remains, a policy rate hike has become less likely this year. The central bank will continue to rely on the open market operations (OMOs) to fine tune the market liquidity conditions. … In our view, China’s financial repression, coupled with a faster capital account liberalization, poses a big challenge to its financial stability and makes the monetary policy less effective. Therefore, the policy priority should focus on fast domestic financial liberalization, rather than rapid capital account opening. —Liu Ligang, Hao Zhou, ANZ Research

Markets will surely get disappointed by these poor readings, but we believe growth could slightly rebound in 2Q on regained confidence and supportive policies. The fall in 1Q13 GDP growth was mainly driven by a slowdown in consumption growth due to the new leaders’ crackdown on government luxury spending, a pause in inventory restocking and slowdown in property [fixed-asset investment] growth due to concerns on property tightening. With alleviated fear on tightening and low inflation, we expect GDP growth to climb back to around 8.0% if the ongoing H7N9 bird flu could be [kept] under control. … With a low inflation pressure (and decline in GDP growth, monetary policy stance could remain supportive of growth in 1H13 in that credit and money growth will remain at the currently elevated level. Put alternatively, it’s too early to call for monetary tightening. —Ting Lu, Xiaojia Zhi, Weijun Hu and Robbie Li, Bank of America-Merrill Lynch

For trade, GDP, manufacturing, property and other historical Chinese economic data dating back as far as 1978, visit CRT’s interactive*China Econtracker.

Economists React: China’s GDP Growth Slows to 7.7% - China Real Time Report - WSJ

welcome, I think 5%-6% is a suit Growth, should slower

7.5% is the official target.

For me, if we can keep at least 7%+ growth consistently over the next decade I will be very happy.

I note some of the opinions echo the warning effect of slowing down gov officials spending. It's sarcastic to know that these activities can skew the whole economy in such an extent.

Hence how to transform these corruption comsumption to real Econ comsumption is the main task ahead of this new government.

welcome, I think 5%-6% is a suit Growth, should slower

5%-6% will be alright once our base economy reaches $12 trillion.

Right now it is only $8.3 trillion so we should ideally have 7%-8% sustained growth. Hopefully.

5%-6% will be alright once our base economy reaches $12 trillion.

Right now it is only $8.3 trillion so we should ideally have 7%-8% sustained growth. Hopefully.

ur right and im confident that china can achieve it.it has sufficient time to grow to $12 trillion.i wudnt be surprised even if it grew more

Obiviously Chinese people and foreign investors thinks this is too slow.with this kind of speed,We could never surpass US in GDP per capita term.people are dissapointed with this number.CCP should do something,seriously.

ur right and im confident that china can achieve it.it has sufficient time to grow to $12 trillion.i wudnt be surprised even if it grew more

Hopefully. :cheers:

But it is impossible to see the future. Anything can happen.

Western news channels are highlighting lower growth as if the it's the beginning of the end for China. Silly monkeys seem to forget the current economic climate.

I'd just pray that the Berlin wall doesn't fall.
What do you mean?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom