Not open for further replies.

aimarraul

Reaction score
Economists on yuan pressure: Just say no

* Source: Global Times
* [01:38 March 29 2010]
* Comments

By Li Qiaoyi

China should not yield to outside pressure – particularly from the US – to institute a one-time appreciation of the yuan in the short term, domestic Chinese experts and economists said at a discussion forum held in Beijing Sunday.

The recent criticism and pressure on the yuan exchange rate policy is "in essence a political farce staged by the US" as its midterm elections draw close, and "China should firmly take the initiative in yuan exchange rate gaming," said Li Daokui, director of the Center for China in the World Economy at Tsinghua University.

A substantial yuan appreciation would impact the country's exports and boost asset prices, risking triggering an asset price bubble, said Chen Yulu, vice president of Renmin University of China. Yuan appreciation expectations are likely to attract an inflow of "hot money," and put pressure on supervision of liquidity of the currency market, he added.

An appreciation of the yuan would also do little to cure economic imbalance in the US, as trade between the US and China only accounts for a small proportion of the US's gross domestic product and several percentage points of the US's total trade, said Liu Wei, dean of the School of Economics at Peking University.

Li noted that great uncertainties remain as to whether or not the US will label China a currency manipulator April 15, when an annual report on currency manipulators is due.

While saying that a one-off appreciation for the moment would affect the country's economic recovery, most experts and economists at the forum pointed out there is a possibility that the yuan will continue to appreciate in the long run, which would aid China's long-term economic restructuring.

China should gradually resume the slight yuan appreciation seen before 2008 to maintain a stable yuan within a spectrum of fluctuations, said Zhuang Jian, a senior economist with the Asian Development Bank.

If conditions permit, adopting a gradual and moderate appreciation to respond to inflationary pressures would put mild pressure on exporters to restructure, Li said, adding government subsidies would be necessary.

Just hope china dont be stupid to walk on the same fallen way like japan.

And personally, I hate american very much. Bcoz of the economic crisis caused by uncle sam, my incoming reduced 20k$ last year. :angry: And they still wanna try to start war in iran, what a trouble country.

And personally, I hate american very much. Bcoz of the economic crisis caused by uncle sam, my incoming reduced 20k$ last year. :angry: And they still wanna try to start war in iran, what a trouble country.

For sure you could choose to hate them my friend but just remember that whatever "incoming" you have is there because of them. The day they get firm on the currency manipulation and invoke the protectionist mechanisms, all that may be left might be "outgoing"........ and the war funding dreams in Africa will fall flat on the face......

For sure you could choose to hate them my friend but just remember that whatever "incoming" you have is there because of them. The day they get firm on the currency manipulation and invoke the protectionist mechanisms, all that may be left might be "outgoing"........ and the war funding dreams in Africa will fall flat on the face......

Our company are creating job in US, almost all the project are outsourced to SILICON VALLEY, china and india .:lol:
And just share one cartoon with you, what this cartoon said is what I wanna reply to you.
f99027288f95eb0432fa440d112eb7d2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom