What's new

ECC approves revival of Karachi Circular Railways: $2.57 Billion project

SHAMK9

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: The Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) of the Cabinet here on Tuesday approved the waiver of on- lending charges to Karachi Urban Transport Corporation for the project "Revival of Karachi Circular Railways (KCR) as modern commuter system".

The Ministry of Railways moved the summary in this regard seeking the approval of the ECC for waiver of on-lending charges to Karachi Urban Transport Corporation for the project Revival of Karachi Circular Railways.

The ECC which met here under the chairmanship of Minister for Finance and Economic Affairs Dr. Abdul Hafeez Shaikh was informed that Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has already agreed to provide 93.5pc ($2.4 billion) of the estimated cost through soft loan at a markup of 0.2pc payable in 40 years including 10 years grace period. The remaining 6.5pc ($169.6 million) will be borne by the Ministry of Railway (60pc equity), Government of Sindh (25pc equity) and the City District Government Karachi (15pc equity); the stakeholders of KUTC as per their share.

The track of the KCR will be 86 km long with 27 stations to be built around the city.

The ECC also approved the summary with special appreciation for the Ministry of Railways, the Government of Sindh and Karachi City Government for their efforts to get approved the most economic and viable project of Circular Railway for Karachi.

The ECC also discussed various agenda items of national importance. The following decisions were taken in the meeting;

Ministry of Railways moved a summary seeking the approval of the ECC for waiver of on-lending charges to Karachi Urban Transport Corporation for the Project "Revival of Karachi Circular Railways as Modern Commuter System".

wow.. good... lets hope it don't go into dark when government change happen..

Can you post rendered pictures of trains & stations, plz.

I hope it will not be like the old Circular railway.

Every project start on paper and then goes to database(dustbin) please let me know when its complete. (remember mass transit projecct)

will new trains be bought and if so which ones....dont tell me again those old fashioned ones

Can you post rendered pictures of trains & stations, plz.

I hope it will not be like the old Circular railway.
Don't have anything, just pics of old stations, have this proposed map though.
Karachi_Circular_Railway_Proposed_Network.png

there will be electric trains with modern system, and it is funded 90% by japan japan on condition of 40 year loan return period

there will be electric trains with modern system, and it is funded 90% by japan japan on condition of 40 year loan return period
You live in karachi right? maybe you can give us updates? This will be amazing for Karachi

The Railway Minister, Bilour was on 'Awaam Ki Adaalat' in the last episode and he said that there are 7 projects currently pending approval. Maybe this is one of them.

This will benefit the people greatly. Let's hope it get's completed in time, and the next government doesn't neglect this project.

You live in karachi right? maybe you can give us updates? This will be amazing for Karachi

well i did some research

this is the link to dehli metro cost

DMRC : Project Update

10,571 corore indian rupees

55 indian RS = 1 dollars

10,571 corore = 2 billion dollar roughly(even less)

so i converted them and it came out roughly 2 billion for phase one

The Delhi Metro is being built in phases. Phase I completed 65.11 km (40.46 mi) of route length, of which 13.01 km (8.08 mi) is underground and 52.10 km (32.37 mi) surface or elevated. The inauguration of the Dwarka–Barakhamba Road corridor of the Blue Line marked the completion of Phase I on October 2006.

where as

The track of the KCR will be 86 km long with 27 stations to be built around the city.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/econom...lways-2-57-billion-project.html#ixzz2GkwtE2N4

i think 2.4 billion dollars are more than enough price to build KCR on modern lines provided the cost of building is the same as in india

more details will come, previous info was something like that

202975_12-11-visit-jica-advisor-03.jpg

i dont know why there are so much conflicting data, anyway here is from jang 31 december 2012 paper

173.gif

A Metro train and Karachi circular Railways KCR Are different things, KCR was already there but now its extinct, They will Just Replace the tracks, build new stations in place of Old Ones and New trains will be bought. Most of KCR infrastructure is outdated it will be replaced and Computerized.

8273309470_2126e2a9fe_b.jpg

8273095058_8c6be2db9f_o.png

8272029527_43ac3b74ae_o.png

top.png

actually there will be three simultaneous projects under the same funding

1) bus rapid system
2) mono rail system
3) KCR

but till date its unclear who is the contractor and if japanese companies will themselves take part in building the system

I have lost count of how many times I have heard about KCR being revived during the last 10 years. Every now and then we would hear about KCR being revived when MQM was enjoying full power in Karachi a few years back.
I hope this time this plan materializes because transport is one of the biggest problem of Karachi. I really wish we can have some kind of mass transit program just like other big cities of the world.

Back
Top Bottom