What's new

Earthquake near Iran's Bushehr nuclear power station

Surenas

Reaction score
A 6.3 magnitude earthquake has struck in south-west Iran, not far from the country's first nuclear power station, the US Geological Survey reports.

The quake's epicentre is 89km (55 miles) from Bushehr, the USGS said.

People on social media reported feeling the quake across the Gulf in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. There is no word yet on the extent of any damage.

Iran's nuclear programme is the subject of international concern amid fears it is trying to build nuclear weapons.

Tehran has always insisted its work at Bushehr and other sites is for civilian purposes only.

BBC News - Earthquake near Iran's Bushehr nuclear power station

6.1-mangitude quake jolts Bushehr in southern Iran, kills 30

A strong earthquake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale has struck the town of Kaki near the southern Iranian city of Bushehr, killing at least 30 people and leaving more than 600 injured.

According to the Iranian Seismological Center, the quake has hit the town of Kaki, some 90 kilometers southeast of Bushehr, at 4:22 pm local time (1152 GMT) on Tuesday at a depth of 12 kilometers.

The quake was followed by at least four aftershocks which jolted Kaki and the nearby city of Khour-Mowj.

PressTV - 6.1-mangitude quake jolts Bushehr in southern Iran, kills 30

904089_10151375348458603_793419713_o.jpg

I wonder if "lying out of necessisity" is the national policy of Iran@ nuclear development for civilian purposes.

People are now going to cry over safety of nuclear power installations "a huge concern".

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/irania...hehr-nuclear-power-station.html#ixzz2Q0MfA0Jj

I feel sorry for their loss too.
What i noticed from the pictures is that the buildings were not made earth quake resistant, lacked reinforcement.
In general all new iranian villagers use steel structure.

This area is hub of Iranian mining, why are these villagers poor?
No, I haven't heard about any mines there, even if exist. most of these villagers have small farms, or at most small date gardens, also most of them use local and old techniques and materials for buildings, if you look at the pictures, there is not a single brick, just stones, they don't even use cement.
but this Earthquake has been really sever too, according to my first-hand news, even some newly built houses have got crack in the walls, or destroyed. they were lucky it happened in the day, also some small quakes happened a few hours earlier, so most people were ready.

Back
Top Bottom