What's new

Eagles of great Iqbal

The-Hack

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Allama Mohammad Iqbal (Poet of the East) ignites me to write. He is among many whom inspire me. For me, he was a poet, philosopher, a revolutionary and a devout Muslim with Sufistic bent of mind. He stirred up a revolution in the apathetic masses through his powerful poetry. The most significant and dynamic symbol in his poetry is that of the Eagle (Shaheen in Urdu.) To understand the Eagle motif in his poetry thus becomes essential to understand Iqbal’s message. Several times in his poetry, Iqbal refers to Muslim youth as Shaheen. Youth are the greatest wealth and strength of any nation that have immensely contributed to nation building. There are several examples in past history. The fresh minds have charisma to bring change. That is why Iqbal motivated the youth of sub-Continent to bring revolution. Why did Iqbal choose the eagle to motivate our youth? Why not use a symbol of lion or tiger, or some other fast and furious animal? What distinguishes the eagle from the other is its sharp vision, courage, daring attitude, love of freedom and action, struggle, devotion, dedication, self-reliance and its ability to soar up into the air and rule the sky.
Bald-eagle.jpg

Last night I was watching a documentary on National Geographic about the life of eagles. What I learned regarded an eagles’ ability to “Transform” or “Change” after certain periods of time and need. An eagle can live more than 60 years but during its life period it has to face tough challenges. During its 40’s, its long talon can no longer catch prey for survival and its sharp beak becomes bent. The eagle then has only one option to exist to adapt to change. In order to survive, the eagle has to go through the transformation process, which is very painful, such as: plucking its talon and waiting for the new to grow, and knocking its beak upon rocks. After this painful process, it can fly again and hunt with the same dynamics.

~Nahi Tera Nasheman Qasar-e-Sultani Kay Gumbad Par
Tu Shaheen Hai Basaira Kar Paharon ki Chaton Par~

soaringeaglemountain.jpg

After learning of this transformation process, I realized why Iqbal preferred the eagle over other animals. He wants Muslims to stop living a life of vulture (Karghis) and accept the challenges of life. According to Iqbal’s view, Muslim Umma needed a change, particularly Muslims of sub-Continent. He tells Muslim youth to go back to their roots and become eagles again. According to Iqbal, when a person forgets/neglects the tasks assigned to him/her, then God makes him/her forget himself as a result. We (youth) need to bring back our lost history. The real cancer is in our minds. The only way to progress is to bring change within ourselves, families and societies. It is time to take actions for our responsibilities. Allah has given us freedom of choice so take responsibility for the outcomes of your choice. The Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) left us a responsibility to take heed to His message for continuous guidance . “ Every leaf of the tree becomes a page of the book , when once heart is opened and it has learnt to read.” Sa’adi~

~Parwaaz Hai Donon ki Usee Aik FaZaa Main
Kargas Kaa Jahaan Aur Hai, Shaheen Kaa Jahan Aur~

muniba-mazari.jpg

Let us not forget the message of Iqbal and focus on constructively using the power of the youth for the betterment of the nation. Youth are the powerhouse of infinite energy. Youth power is unbeatable and irrevocable. All we need to do is direct the energy of our youth in constructive channels that lead to development and progress. Let us frame such policies that aim at empowering our youth so that we are assured of a better future and brighter tomorrow. After 63 years of independence, our country still faces hard times such as: suffering from poor governance, providing safety for citizens, Sufi shrines and other prayer places, an increase in sectarian violence, ignorance, dim strategy, cruelty and personal lust of power. All of that causes me to speak for the “Change.” The patriots of Pakistan are now geared up against all the traitors, looters, betrayers, and criminals. The Eagles of Pakistan are yearning for change.

https://nooruddinjalal.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/iqbals-eagle-shaheen-yearns-for-chang/

Your opening lines were rivetting, but after reading through the entire post, it seemed to be missing something. Since the post had a marked religious streak running through it, contrary to the protocols followed by the forum, it seems better not to voice those reservations, and to concentrate on the striking and imaginative imagery that we found on first reading it.

Every person have their own thinking capacity, someone just want to discuss about the negatives but others want to ignore negativity and just want to be happy in positive environment. In your opinion, which person is on right way of thinking, Sir???

Every person have their own thinking capacity, someone just want to discuss about the negatives but others want to ignore negativity and just want to be happy in positive environment. In your opinion, which person is on right way of thinking, Sir???
Please stick to what you posted; it started off well.

Humans are afraid of heights by instinct.

Iqbal should get a new creature lol

This portion of Iqbal's poetry appeals more to war-like tribal people than Indian-Muslims because Iqbal's shaheen and Khudi is inspiration from Khushal Khan Khattak poetry, who actually kept eagles and was an expert on falconry. Iqbal read Khushal Khan Khattak`s poetry`s German translations. Khushal Khattak was a warrior thats why the talk about eagles and eagle attitude.

Khushal Khattak says ;

"Be like an eagle that lives on peaks of mountains and not like a crow of village that wanders around for food due to hunger"

I think,

Eagle is called UQAAB
Falcon is called Shaheen, Emblem of PAF contains Falcon (shaheen)
Hawk is called BAAZ

Coming to the topic,

Iqbal chose Shaheen, because he was a spiritual and sufi, and in spirituality, the spirits fly. They get strength from love (divine love) and when they are at the peak of their love, thats their strongest moment and they fly.

This portion of Iqbal's poetry appeals more to war-like tribal people than Indian-Muslims because Iqbal's shaheen and Khudi is inspiration from Khushal Khan Khattak poetry, who actually kept eagles and was an expert on falconry. Iqbal read Khushal Khan Khattak`s poetry`s German translations. Khushal Khattak was a warrior thats why the talk about eagles and eagle attitude.

Khushal Khattak says ;

"Be like an eagle that lives on peaks of mountains and not like a crow of village that wanders around for food due to hunger"
Sorry to say sir, but you are on wrong path when you saying that Iqbal took inspirations from Khattak's poetry,
According to Iqbal:
Khush aa gai hai Jahan ko Qalandari meri;
Wagrna Shair mera kia hai Shaiyri kia hai;

Qalandar has own identity, own path
Why he follow the path of others

I think,

Eagle is called UQAAB
Hawk is called BAAZ

Coming to the topic,

Iqbal chose Shaheen, because he was a spiritual and sufi, and in spirituality, the spirits fly. They get strength from love (divine love) and when they are at the peak of their love, thats their strongest moment and they fly.
You are right sir,
But some peoples can see only the poet Iqbal, they have no idea about his Sufism
He was a saint,
As He said:
Tou bhi Ussi Kafla E Shauq main shamil hai Iqbal;
Jis Kafla E Shauq ka Salar hai Romi;

Last night I was watching a documentary on National Geographic about the life of eagles. What I learned regarded an eagles’ ability to “Transform” or “Change” after certain periods of time and need. An eagle can live more than 60 years but during its life period it has to face tough challenges. During its 40’s, its long talon can no longer catch prey for survival and its sharp beak becomes bent. The eagle then has only one option to exist to adapt to change. In order to survive, the eagle has to go through the transformation process, which is very painful, such as: plucking its talon and waiting for the new to grow, and knocking its beak upon rocks. After this painful process, it can fly again and hunt with the same dynamics.

Eagles are amazing, for sure. They are used by nations as symbols of power and strength.

While I understand the premise of Iqbal's message and what we must do as humans, the process the eagle undergoes that is described in the Iqbal's literature is factually incorrect, which unfortunately discredits the point that is trying to be made.

There has never been a single documented case of an eagle surviving in the wild for even 40 years. The oldest eagle recorded to date to survive in the wild was a north American bald eagle which lived to be 38 years old. It died in 2015.

https://www.livescience.com/51226-banded-bald-eagle-longevity-record.html

The eagle Iqbal was speaking of was most likely the veritable Golden Eagle which lives practically in all continents except the two poles. The bald eagle (white head & tail in pics and video) is only found in North America.

The oldest wild golden eagle in Britain has died on the Isle of Jura off the coast of Scotland. The bird, which was tagged on the Isle of Mull in 1987 as still a chick, was 22 years old. The previous oldest known wild eagle was 16.Aug 15, 2009

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/6033439/Oldest-golden-eagle-dies.html

Unfortunately what he says about the eagle's beak and talons is also not true. The eagle's beak is naturally hooked for a specific reason, to tear apart it's food into pieces so it can eat it. Without the hook on the beak, the bird will die in a very short time. So the concept that the eagle will knock its beak off on a rock and let it regrow again is extremely incorrect. The hook does not regrow and if the bird loses the entire beak, it will die within an hour simply from the pain. It is not part of the anatomy that can shed and regrow like the feathers. Unfortunately the age and the talons and beak descriptions by Iqbal and that documentary are quite incorrect, I'm sorry to say.

Guessing that Iqbal lived in the subcontinent, he was probably referring to the Golden Eagle and not the North American Bald Eagle above.

This is the majestic and ever so powerful Golden Eagle. It gets its name from the golden feathers on its crest (back of the head.)

Aquila chrysaetos

imp-aguila-600x390.jpg

amazing-golden-eagle-high-definition-wallpaper-pictures-mac-wallpapers-iphone-background-images-high-quality-1600x1023.jpg

df5b8d76b91de33f2c65190c55b4bd0d.jpg

Some of the examples of that symbolism use by different countries:
The Egyptian flag uses the Golden Eagle as its emblem and coat of arms.

Egypt.png

eg-var.gif

The emblem of Yemen is also the Golden Eagle.

1200px-Emblem_of_Yemen.svg.png

Mexican coat of arms.

579px-Coat_of_arms_of_Mexico.svg.png

And of course the Bald Eagle is the national symbol for the Unite States.

image012.jpg

I think,

Eagle is called UQAAB
Hawk is called BAAZ

Very interesting because this reminded me of a missing word in Arabic and that there is either a lack of distinction between falcons and hawks or there just isn't any word for 'hawk' or 'falcon.' Most likely the reference is to the falcon and the hawk is simply excluded or labeled as either the same as the falcon.

Eagle is Nisr (نسر)
Falcon is Saqr (صقر)
Hawk is also Saqr even though they are two separate species.

There isn't a separate word for hawk and 'saqr' is most likely referred to falcons at first and then hawks were simply included into the same term. Strange if you think about it considering how vast, precise and concise the Arabic language is that technically there is a missing term. Who'da thunk?

Eagles are amazing, for sure. They are used by nations as symbols of power and strength.

While I understand the premise of Iqbal's message and what we must do as humans, the process the eagle undergoes that is described in the Iqbal's literature is factually incorrect, which unfortunately discredits the point that is trying to be made.

There has never been a single documented case of an eagle surviving in the wild for even 40 years. The oldest eagle recorded to date to survive in the wild was a north American bald eagle which lived to be 38 years old. It died in 2015.

https://www.livescience.com/51226-banded-bald-eagle-longevity-record.html

The eagle Iqbal was speaking of was most likely the veritable Golden Eagle which lives practically in all continents except the two poles. The bald eagle (white head & tail in pics and video) is only found in North America.

The oldest wild golden eagle in Britain has died on the Isle of Jura off the coast of Scotland. The bird, which was tagged on the Isle of Mull in 1987 as still a chick, was 22 years old. The previous oldest known wild eagle was 16.Aug 15, 2009

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/6033439/Oldest-golden-eagle-dies.html

Unfortunately what he says about the eagle's beak and talons is also not true. The eagle's beak is naturally hooked for a specific reason, to tear apart it's food into pieces so it can eat it. Without the hook on the beak, the bird will die in a very short time. So the concept that the eagle will knock its beak off on a rock and let it regrow again is extremely incorrect. The hook does not regrow and if the bird loses the entire beak, it will die within an hour simply from the pain. It is not part of the anatomy that can shed and regrow like the feathers. Unfortunately the age and the talons and beak descriptions by Iqbal and that documentary are quite incorrect, I'm sorry to say.

Guessing that Iqbal lived in the subcontinent, he was probably referring to the Golden Eagle and not the North American Bald Eagle above.

This is the majestic and ever so powerful Golden Eagle. It gets its name from the golden feathers on its crest (back of the head.)

Aquila chrysaetos

imp-aguila-600x390.jpg

amazing-golden-eagle-high-definition-wallpaper-pictures-mac-wallpapers-iphone-background-images-high-quality-1600x1023.jpg

df5b8d76b91de33f2c65190c55b4bd0d.jpg

Some of the examples of that symbolism use by different countries:
The Egyptian flag uses the Golden Eagle as its emblem and coat of arms.

Egypt.png

eg-var.gif

The emblem of Yemen is also the Golden Eagle.

1200px-Emblem_of_Yemen.svg.png

Mexican coat of arms.

579px-Coat_of_arms_of_Mexico.svg.png

And of course the Bald Eagle is the national symbol for the Unite States.

image012.jpg
I am sorry to say you are moving in wrong direction because i just mentioned in this thread about the usage of Eagle in Iqbal's poetry but you are describing me about the species and life cycle of eagles. Iqbal doesn't write anything about the life cycle of eagles or different types of eagle. He just take this bird as a symbol. Sorry in advance if i hurt you
However you discussed this topic in details, i have to thanks for sharing such informative knowledge, Sir.

Falcon is called Shaheen,

Just found out today thanks. I always thought it was the eagle.

There was even a debate among the early Americans whether the eagle would be the right choice as a national bird. The turkey was among the contenders. The reason was the eagle despite its reputation as fierce predator is a opportunistic bird. It will eat take carrion if available.

As for the PAF emblem the bird shown is shown resembles more an eagle than a falcon and it is very similar to the birds in the emblems of other commonwealth airforces.

Back
Top Bottom