What's new

Dutch minister signals support for Turkey's EU bid

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Netherlands will welcome the European Union (EU) membership of Turkey if its accession negotiations end in a positive way, visiting Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans said here Friday.

"Once the negotiations finish, Netherlands will be one who gladly welcomes Turkey among the EU member states," Xinhua quoted Timmermans as saying at a joint press conference in Ankara with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.

Timmermans paid a visit to the Turkish capital to participate in the sixth meeting of Turkey-Holland Bilateral (Wittenburg) Conference.

The Dutch foreign minister said he personally supports the opening of the chapters of 23 and 24 in the accession talks between Turkey and the EU, but noting that he would discuss it with his government and parliament.

Opening negotiations on these chapters engage Turkey in debate "on issues having to do with rule of law", Timmermans said, adding that "I believe it will be good (for Turkey) to engage in these subjects."

Dutch minister signals support for Turkey's EU bid | Business Standard

@Neptune Isnt Turkey better off without them?

Netherlands will welcome Turkey as an EU member state, Dutch FM says

n_62512_4.jpg

Opening negotiation on chapters 23 and 24 with the European Union will engage Turkey in the debate over the rule of law, visiting Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans has said.

Timmermans voiced his personal support for opening the chapters but said his government and Parliament would have the final word on the issue.

“Because I believe there are arguments to be said in favor of doing this, because it will engage Turkey in the debate on issues having to do with rule of law. I believe it will be good to engage in these subjects,” he said at the sixth meeting of the Turkey-Netherlands Bilateral (Wittenburg) Conference on Feb. 14.

“The Netherlands will be one, once negotiations have finished, who gladly welcome Turkey among the EU member states. It’s only fair that the process that started with the intention of making Turkey a member of the EU should lead to its membership if we can conclude the negotiations in a positive way,” the Dutch minister said.

Turkey has gone through an amazing transformation in the last 10 years, Timmermans added.

“At some stage, Turkey will have to end its negotiations with the EU and Turkey will then make the choice whether to become a member of the EU,” he said.

Timmermans also stressed that his country was “honored” to send Patriots to Turkey to protect the Turkish-Syrian border.

“Turkey is taking care of our security with great effort. We are very grateful for those contributions for our collective security,” he said.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu, for his part, expressed Turkey’s expectation of support from the Netherlands on the opening of negotiation Chapters 23 and 24, along with support for new rounds of talks for the reunification of Cyprus.

On the other hand, when asked about Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s recent remarks that normalization with Israel was not possible without written protocol on the lift of the embargo on Gaza, Davutoğlu did not elaborate on the issue, but said “negotiations are continuing.”

Turkey and Israel have narrowed the gap on compensation talks and the parties approached a certain level, he said.

Following an agreement on compensation talks, “other issues regarding Gaza and Palestine” will also be on the agenda, Davutoğlu said.

“Turkey has the determination to do whatever is required for the recovery of the humanitarian situation in Gaza and the West Bank. We will continue our principle stance to enable these means,” he added.

POLITICS - Netherlands will welcome Turkey as an EU member state, Dutch FM says

The EU membership was never a purpose for Turkey nor our foreign policy. But it is a tool, a path to be a fully developed country which shows that it succeeds. Countries like Italy, UK and Spain do support us. It seems that they're changing their mood. But there's one thing for sure; France, Germany and Greece will not accept us, at least this decade.

Aiming to have standards up to EU helped us a lot to develop ourselves, not to mention the fund directly coming from Europeans for the membership chapters.

@Talon

The Netherlands will welcome the European Union (EU) membership of Turkey if its accession negotiations end in a positive way, visiting Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans said here Friday.
Dont believe this bs,they are the most anti Turkiye of all Europeans.
He said IF and not WHEN.
The difference between Dutch and Germans,A German says;I hate you!
A Dutchman says;I like you(he tells others that he hates you).

Dont believe this bs,they are the most anti Turkiye of all Europeans.
He said IF and not WHEN.
The difference between Dutch and Germans,A German says;I hate you!
A Dutchman says;I like you(he tells others that he hates you).
Arent you already in Netherlands? :unsure:

However, I still think Turkey is better off without EU...its a sinking ship...dont get on board! Though I would like them to coz then I can travel to Turkey without visa :angel:

EU is not a sinking ship, monetary union was a bit stupid, but rest are very important. Even skeptic brits wont wish away EU.
The best bit of EU is european human right law, and silliest ones was probably related to fruits and veg( now scrapped)

Arent you already in Netherlands? :unsure:

However, I still think Turkey is better off without EU...its a sinking ship...dont get on board! Though I would like them to coz then I can travel to Turkey without visa :angel:
Thats why i made that comment,i deal with Dutch people evry day.
So,you are a European citizen?

You know why they are supporting Turkeys EU membership,its because they know France and Germany are against so if the Greeks say ''ýes''it doesnt matter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom