What's new

DRDO to recruit 500 more scientists this year

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India

PUNE: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) plans to recruit 500 additional scientists this year to meet its workforce requirement across different levels and projects.

"Our present recruitment is focused on filling vacancies that arise from retirements and resignations. However, considering the kind of projects we have been working on, we have moved a proposal with the Union government for an additional recruitment of 500 scientists," DRDO's human resources (HR) chief Malakondaiah said on Tuesday. "The government had asked us to file the proposal projecting our need," he added.

The collective cost of DRDO's ongoing projects, including Aakash missile, light combat aircraft 'Tejas' and Brahmos missile, is worth Rs 1.6 lakh crore. The organisation has close to 7,500 scientists as part of its existing force, he said.

Malakondaiah, who is chief controller of research and development (HR), was in the city to address the valedictory function of the 71-member 'batch-18' of the Post Induction Training School (POINTS) at the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT), a deemed university under the DRDO in Girinagar here.

Started in March 2003, POINTS is an initiative to impart integrated training to newly inducted scientists in the beginning of their career in DRDO laboratories and projects. So far, the school has trained 3,394 scientists from 17 batches and the 18th batch was the first of its kind, comprising graduates and postgraduates only from the Indian Institutes of Technology, Indian Institute of Science and DIAT.

Malakondaiah said, "Unlike conventional industries like information technology, DRDO is facing an almost negligible rate of attrition vis-a-vis resignations, which contributes barely one per cent of the arising vacancies. This is due to the fact that the Sixth Pay Commission has vastly reduced the gap in the pay scales offered by DRDO and private corporate bodies. This has also helped the organisation to attract and retain young scientific talent emerging from the IITs and IISc." The additional recruitments will go a long way in resolving some of the issues related to the shortfall of workforce in projects across DRDO, he added.

Meanwhile, POINTS programme director Ajay Misra gave an overview about the training activities at the valedictory session, while DIAT vice-chancellor Prahlada addressed the young scientists. Deputy director D Srikanth was also present.

Link - DRDO to recruit 500 more scientists this year - The Times of India

I think with the recent spate of projects that have seen light of the day and the positive publicity of this organisation, I am sure, a lot many young bloods would want to join DRDO . Let's be positive :)

PUNE: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) plans to recruit 500 additional scientists this year to meet its workforce requirement across different levels and projects.

"Our present recruitment is focused on filling vacancies that arise from retirements and resignations. However, considering the kind of projects we have been working on, we have moved a proposal with the Union government for an additional recruitment of 500 scientists," DRDO's human resources (HR) chief Malakondaiah said on Tuesday. "The government had asked us to file the proposal projecting our need," he added.

The collective cost of DRDO's ongoing projects, including Aakash missile, light combat aircraft 'Tejas' and Brahmos missile, is worth Rs 1.6 lakh crore. The organisation has close to 7,500 scientists as part of its existing force, he said.

Malakondaiah, who is chief controller of research and development (HR), was in the city to address the valedictory function of the 71-member 'batch-18' of the Post Induction Training School (POINTS) at the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT), a deemed university under the DRDO in Girinagar here.

Started in March 2003, POINTS is an initiative to impart integrated training to newly inducted scientists in the beginning of their career in DRDO laboratories and projects. So far, the school has trained 3,394 scientists from 17 batches and the 18th batch was the first of its kind, comprising graduates and postgraduates only from the Indian Institutes of Technology, Indian Institute of Science and DIAT.

Malakondaiah said, "Unlike conventional industries like information technology, DRDO is facing an almost negligible rate of attrition vis-a-vis resignations, which contributes barely one per cent of the arising vacancies. This is due to the fact that the Sixth Pay Commission has vastly reduced the gap in the pay scales offered by DRDO and private corporate bodies. This has also helped the organisation to attract and retain young scientific talent emerging from the IITs and IISc." The additional recruitments will go a long way in resolving some of the issues related to the shortfall of workforce in projects across DRDO, he added.

Meanwhile, POINTS programme director Ajay Misra gave an overview about the training activities at the valedictory session, while DIAT vice-chancellor Prahlada addressed the young scientists. Deputy director D Srikanth was also present.

Link - DRDO to recruit 500 more scientists this year - The Times of India

The news is good, but I want to add some bad news to it. I am an Engineer cum businessman and two of my colleagues are in the recruitment board of two major PSUs. What they once told me that the real talent of IITs and RECs(now NITs) has decreased considerably lest talk about other Govt. or PVT. colleges. During interview you ask some fundamental question and they blank out. Engineering is such an subject that if you do not get employment/get employed in proper environment for 2-3 years your entire 4yrs. knowledge will just evaporate you are as good as +2 level. The real culprits are Coaching centers that runs as factories and few real talent goes inside these colleges.

Wish best of Luck to DRDO for recruiting real talent!!

@Srinivas @jbgt90 @DRAY @timetravel @shree835 @gslv mk3 @chak de INDIA @desert warrior @Dash @joekrish @jarves @Dandpatta @Abingdonboy and all the Indian engineers young and old.

Its all baseless as govt. have already cut down the planned expenditures and for last 3-4 years drdo can't meet its recruitment goals.

A good move if intelligent new students join the DRDO..their is a requirement of fresh blood. Hope they select them on the basis of their capabilities and not due to contacts or lobby.

Well looking at the result of Arjun tanks and Tejas planes. No surprising that Indian scientists need all the help they can get. Maybe with fresh inclusion of blood, there might be a solution to their problems.
Well one can hope atleast.

Well looking at the result of Arjun tanks and Tejas planes. No surprising that Indian scientists need all the help they can get. Maybe with fresh inclusion of blood, there might be a solution to their problems.
Well one can hope atleast.

You mean India can do even better than resounding successes?

:O I admire your optimism for the Indian mil-ind complex :)

We also need to focus on retaining the talents leaving the country every year. And Govt. should abolish quota at least in organizations like DRDO, HAL, ISRO etc. recruitment should be based on pure merit for such type of high-value work.

We also need to focus on retaining the talents leaving the country every year. And Govt. should abolish quota at least in organizations like DRDO, HAL, ISRO etc. recruitment should be based on pure merit for such type of high-value work.
I think there are no reservations in DRDO and ISRO.......

I think there are no reservations in DRDO and ISRO.......

Are you sure? They are Govt. organizations! What are the Govt. organizations exempted from quota?

Are you sure? They are Govt. organizations! What are the Govt. organizations exempted from quota?
There is a policy which says that there will be no reservations in defence sector.........
I am not sure about Isro but i think there are no reservations in DRDO.......

DRDO has a tiny budget of less than 2BN USD. It should be increased by 30% every year for a decade. Scientist shoul be biven top of the line facilities such as housing, Free admission in good school, hassle free gas connection, best salary of class one officer, partnership in development of the product they develop as a team, railway reservation in VIP quota etc. Good corporates does all this for their employees than why this sould not be done for dedicated scientist ?

Last edited:
You mean India can do even better than resounding successes?

:O I admire your optimism for the Indian mil-ind complex :)

If you call Arjun tank and Tejas LCA planes resounding success, then God help India.
:omghaha:

Back
Top Bottom