What's new

DRDO to conduct fourth test of interceptor missile

Tejas-MkII

Reaction score
The Hindu : News / National : DRDO to conduct fourth test of interceptor missile

DRDO to conduct fourth test of interceptor missile

In less than two weeks, India will test its Ballistic Missile Defence shield again, by launching an interceptor missile to kill an incoming “enemy” ballistic missile mid-flight.

This is the fourth time that the Defence Research and Development Organisation will be testing its interceptor missile.

While the incoming missile will lift off from the Integrated Test Range at Balasore in Orissa, the interceptor will blast off from the launch complex on the Wheeler Island, off Damra village, said V.K. Saraswat, Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister.

A variant of the Prithvi missile will mimic the enemy’s ballistic missile trajectory. An Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile will confront and kill it, in endo-atmosphere, at an altitude of less than 20 km. The launch window is between March 10 and 15. The Prithvi is a single stage, surface-to-surface missile that uses liquid fuel. The AAD is a single stage anti-ballistic missile that uses solid fuel. It is 7.5 metres long.
The DRDO scored three successes in a row when its interceptor missile tests conducted on November 27, 2006, December 6, 2007, and March 6, 2009, were on the target.

:cheers:

There was also talks about testing of PAD at the altitude of ~130 km...possibly by the end of year...

Good news. The test has been on the cards since last year.

I am waiting for the test of AD-1/AD-2 though!

All the best to DRDO! BMD is critical for national security!

Last edited by a moderator:
After the 4th successive launch, the army should Induct it....

I do not share this thought....There should be atleast a dozen of test both for exo and endo conditions. There are only three tests so far that too involves both situations. The growth is fine. We are on a good way but induction at this stage...no way!! :no:

Also I wonder why we do not work on Agnis rahther than using shorter range Prithvis. Any idea?? :what:

I do not share this thought....There should be atleast a dozen of test both for exo and endo conditions. There are only three tests so far that too involves both situations. The growth is fine. We are on a good way but induction at this stage...no way!! :no:

Technology has matured over time. Earlier systems had to be tested manually many times over to establish their credibility, growth of equipment quality and design and other modes of testing have more than neutralized the requirement for manual testing.

Also I wonder why we do not work on Agnis rahther than using shorter range Prithvis. Any idea?? :what:

You dont use an elephant to plough a field, do you?? when an Ox could simply do the job!!

Specific systems are better suited for specific roles.

Technology has matured over time. Earlier systems had to be tested manually many times over to establish their credibility, growth of equipment quality and design and other modes of testing have more than neutralized the requirement for manual testing.

I agree with you. However four test is too less considering it involves various environment and complexities.

You dont use an elephant to plough a field, do you?? when an Ox could simply do the job!!

I agree that Prithvi serves our immediate needs. However we should work on longer ranges as well. There are detection of a missile at different ranges. We might need that in future. ;)

Now thats a great feat for Indians. Always a step ahead.

4 successful intercepts in a row would mean some real deal under the hoods. It wouldn't get inducted soon but would act as a base for more powerful antiballistic systems.

Looking forward to this one.

Good luck to DRDO for the test . Well i too agree DRDO should test the interceptor dozen times . Well i had read earlier in newspapers that DRDO are also going to test to intercept long range missiles more than 2000 kilometres . I think theyll test for longer range after they finish with the shorter interceptor with intercepting the prithvi missile is successful.

Now thats a great feat for Indians. Always a step ahead.

4 successful intercepts in a row would mean some real deal under the hoods. It wouldn't get inducted soon but would act as a base for more powerful antiballistic systems.

Looking forward to this one.

4 tests is not that many. THAAD tested about a many times and its still being tested. I think it would take a while. No hurry

I assume DRDO will be doing multiple missile test this year too, close to 1 month. Its seems they have been asked to reach a level looking at situation around.

One step at a time.

So when does your government plan to induct this system? I believe 4th successful test should be sufficient if you are truly confident about your systems.

Back
Top Bottom