What's new

DRDO successfully tests 'glide bombs' in Pokhran

The emphasis is on indigenous. We have had this for sometime, the indigenous version. Was discussed a few years back on PDF.

So considering the capability of Su 30 we can use 8 such 1000kgs ,100 km range in one plane .
Suppose if 10 Su 30 deployed for bomb running ,80 tons of bombs can be used against an enemy base or other installation .That is a good deal ,considering the stand off range.

So considering the capability of Su 30 we can use 8 such 1000kgs ,100 km range in one plane .
Suppose if 10 Su 30 deployed for bomb running ,80 tons of bombs can be used against an enemy base or other installation .That is a good deal ,considering the stand off range.

Theoretically yes. But practically we require the same to be carrying some AAMs to get away too ... damn expensive aircraft .. MOD will have a nervous breakdown reading your post :partay::partay::partay:

Last edited:

Actually no.

See for the maximum range they would be needed to be released from above >16 kilometres height( A unpowered B747 will travel 4 kilometres forward for a decent of 1Km, means a near 1050 kg Bomb with a wing area to weight ration equal or greater than B747 will need to be dropped at nearly ~16.5km if the aircraft is supersonic ) , meaning near the upper service ceiling of Flankers , which means restriction on its weapons payload.Further restrictions are there on the hardpoints of Flankers..

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA corrections if needed.

Actually no.

See for the maximum range they would be needed to be released from above >16 kilometres height( A unpowered B747 will travel 4 kilometres forward for a decent of 1Km, means a near 1050 kg Bomb with a wing area to weight ration equal or greater than B747 will need to be dropped at nearly ~16.5km if the aircraft is supersonic ) , meaning near the upper service ceiling of Flankers , which means restriction on its weapons payload.Further restrictions are there on the hardpoints of Flankers..

I would speculate theoretically a full load can be carried as service ceiling will factor maximal performance. 16000 meters is well within the ceiling

Theoretically yes. But practically we require the same to be carrying some AAMs to get away too ... damn expensive aircraft .. MOD will have a nervous breakdown reading your post :partay::partay::partay:

Agreed :D
But within one decade ,probably we will have another advanced series of jets ,possibly Rafale for SEAD ops and air support .So What I have been mentioning in here is that a squadrons of fighter jets like Mig UPG and Rafale for air support flying with our bomber Su 30s .
Nice combination .Right ?:D

I would speculate theoretically a full load can be carried as service ceiling will factor maximal performance. 16000 meters is well within the ceiling
Umm yes checked it , they fly upto 17.8km...
Well that calls for a detailed post on Flankers Payload Capability+ specifications of glide weapons ( how much will they travel for 1 Km of decent if released at say mach 1.2-1.4?) ....
@PARIKRAMA

Umm yes checked it , they fly upto 17.8km...
Well that calls for a detailed post on Flankers Payload Capability+ specifications of glide weapons ( how much will they travel for 1 Km of decent if released at say mach 1.2-1.4?) ....
@PARIKRAMA

Well, your stall and overspeed may be in a narrow reference zone, but you still get to carry your full load ;)

Will wait for Air Force to come in ... @Abingdonboy and @PARIKRAMA please give the necessary air support;);)

Agreed :D
But within one decade ,probably we will have another advanced series of jets ,possibly Rafale for SEAD ops and air support .So What I have been mentioning in here is that a squadrons of fighter jets like Mig UPG and Rafale for air support flying with our bomber Su 30s .
Nice combination .Right ?:D

Oops missed this.

Harop is the answer for that. Little bird tells me we have enough, need to check with @PARIKRAMA

@Ankit Kumar 002 @hellfire
Normally all through i have seen drops from 9km to 10km altitude for such glide bombs like OFAB series or

BAZALT's PGM Glide-Kit-2.jpg

So i would assume DRDO ones also should be released from similar altitude. In all probability the A phase in the Climbing part will be longer followed by B phase of Controlled Maneuvering before the C phase comes in , in our case.

Since its tested in Pokhran, i sincerely feel Phase B is very very accurate and hence such a test is on live range not from ITR over sea/ bay of bengal

@Ankit Kumar 002 @hellfire
Normally all through i have seen drops from 9km to 10km altitude for such glide bombs like OFAB series or

View attachment 327545

So i would assume DRDO ones also should be released from similar altitude. In all probability the A phase in the Climbing part will be longer followed by B phase of Controlled Maneuvering before the C phase comes in , in our case.

Since its tested in Pokhran, i sincerely feel Phase B is very very accurate and hence such a test is on live range not from ITR over sea/ bay of bengal

Monday will have my physics teacher some doubts to explain...:tup:

@Ankit Kumar 002 @hellfire @SrNair

Some data points from Dr Carlo Kopp which will help us understand a bit more..

Excerpts

While a soft target like an air defence radar could be easily destroyed by a 500 lb weapon, maximising the probability of kill would dictate the use of a pair of 2,000 lb weapons to ensure that either bomb guidance errors or operator tracking errors do not compromise the kill - reattacking a target is much more expensive than using a pair of bigger bombs.

pgm0c-1.png

This diagram depicts the envelopes of some commonly used air defence weapons, against the envelopes of established guided munitions and the new GPS guided munitions. Significantly, the combination of GPS and glidebomb technology defeats most air defence weapons completely, while offering this capability in weapons which may cost $100k or less. This diagram includes recently published figures for subtypes of the SA-10 Grumble missile (Author).

and

The ideal weapon for this style of air attack is a highly aerodynamically efficient glide-bomb which allows a supersonic toss delivery - this allows the launch aircraft to impart the maximum amount of energy to the weapon during launch (Phase A Climb) and thus maximise standoff range (Via Phase B Controlled Maneuvering and Phase C Diving). Ranges of 40-70 NMI become quite feasible, and this will defeat most area defence SAM systems. As the aircraft is supersonic at high altitude, it will be a difficult target for an interceptor, more so since it will not need to loiter. Because the weapon is unpowered, it is substantially cheaper to buy and to maintain than a powered weapon, and expensive datalink pods or laser targeting equipment are no longer required. Where the aircraft is stealthy, the defence's warning time may be non existent. In any event the task of engaging a 900 kg target at 30,000 ft will be extremely difficult for a Combat Air Patrol, and even more difficult for a ground launched interceptor.

Bracket Blue used from post 23

tossbomb.png

The GPS guided glidebomb allows the single bomber to reclaim the upper portion of the penetration envelope. As these weapons can be released from above 30,000 ft at transonic speeds, (Mach 0.8-1.0) and glide for up to 75 NMI, they allow a bomber to engage its target from ranges where SAMs are wholly ineffective, and fighter CAPs are hard pressed to perform without AEW and tanker support. This provides a significant advantage to the attacker, who can saturate defences with multiple weapons (Author).

Source : http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-GPS-Guided-Weps.html

40-75 Nm is 75-139 km
40000 ft is 12.192 km
25000 is 7.62 km

So 1000 ft gives approx 4.266 km additional range (theoretical approximation negating other factors) , So rudimentary way 30000 ft should give approx 96 km range for a 2000 lb Glide bomb...

Of course a better design and better phase A and B makes such a number very much possible. Also Altitude of launch higher may make a marked difference as well.

Interesting development any pics of the system? @PARIKRAMA
Not yet .. i have only wing designs.. not the complete glide kit + bomb = NG LGB picture.. Did not find in old DRDO tenders also,,,

So we have to wait for a official pic release i guess

Back
Top Bottom