What's new

DRDO looks beyond HAL for Tejas production

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
Over the last two decades, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) and the DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) have cooperated closely in developing the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) to replace the ageing MiG-21s of the Indian Air Force. Now, with 40 fighters on order for the IAF’s first two Tejas squadrons, ADA is pushing HAL to outsource more of the Tejas’ production, including to the private sector, to boost production to the levels needed by the Indian Air Force (IAF).

A high-level HAL team is touring the production facilities of the world’s three biggest fighter manufacturers — Boeing and Lockheed Martin in the US; and Eurofighter in Europe — to examine how Tejas’ production can be raised from the eight fighters per year that HAL’s Tejas production line in Bangalore will start building next year. The IAF will eventually need 120-140 Tejas, while the Navy will require another 20-40 fighters.

The DRDO aeronautics chief, Prahlada, who also oversees ADA, told Business Standard, “We have asked HAL to find a way to step up Tejas production. They should look for alternatives, like more outsourcing, or setting up joint ventures [to build sub-systems of the Tejas]. This will also help HAL to grow. But each agency knows its own problems best… only they know where the shoe pinches! So, HAL knows best how to fix their problem.”
HAL, however, blames the slow production of Tejas fighters on the IAF’s placement of piecemeal orders. “We are also responsible to our shareholders. With an initial order for just 20 Tejas fighters, how much money could we have realistically invested in a production line?” asks P Soundara Rajan, HAL’s director, corporate planning and marketing. “So far, future Tejas orders of 100-120 more fighters are only plans. When an order is actually placed, we will be justified in upgrading our production line to produce more aircraft. Outsourcing to industry is something that we are already doing.”

Currently, HAL is building 40 Tejas fighters for the IAF, the initial IAF order of 20 fighters doubled recently with a second order. While HAL builds these 40 Tejas Mark I fighters, ADA will develop the Tejas Mark II, replacing the existing GE-404 engine with the more powerful GE-414 engine that powers the Swedish Gripen and the F-18 Super Hornet aircraft. ADA plans to develop the Tejas Mark II by 2014 and begin production the next year.

Behind the Tejas’ slow production rate is the fact that HAL simply has too much on its plate. The Aircraft R&D Centre (ARDC), the HAL department that has built the first 15 Tejas prototypes, is simultaneously developing the Tejas Mark II; the Sitara Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT); the Indo-Russian Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA); the Indo-Russian Multi-Role Transport Aircraft (MRTA).

“Each Tejas is built individually, with the ARDC tweaking the design to incorporate multiple improvements and changes. Once the Tejas goes into serial production, like the MiG or Sukhoi-30 fighters, ARDC will have less work. But, presently, ARDC is highly loaded… and there is competition for attention and priority,” say HAL sources.

Despite that, there is no proposal for a second Tejas production line. The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has nominated HAL as the DRDO’s only production agency for aircraft. But the DRDO believes the growing number of projects will leave no choice but to locate a private sector partner for building aircraft, a field monopolised since independence by HAL.

“The earlier (the MoD finds an alternative) the better it will be because, in a country as big as India, with so many ongoing aircraft development programmes, we need at least two integration agencies. Preferably one government one private… this will lead to competition, better productivity, and the spreading of risk,” says Prahlada.

While ARDC builds the last two Tejas prototypes, HAL has already begun work on the first of the 40 Mark I production fighters. Meanwhile, ARDC is completing the first naval LCA, which is designed to operate off aircraft carriers. The navy is likely to ask for a limited series of eight LCAs, which will also be built by ARDC.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/drdo-looks-beyond-hal-for-tejas-production/429598/

Like I said before production was key.....It seems some Indian posters always stated it was not difficult and India had the know how.....YEAH RIGHT! My point is that this was something had to be implemented 2 -3 decades ago....it just shows our defense forces were dreaming for the past 3o yrs...It also shows that our decision making process if nowhere near a comfort zone.

Since, I dont have much idea of production lines. Is their any way to setup universal production line that can be used to build different fighters?
Its obvious that just for order of 20 jets, no one would like to setup a production line that may go idle soon.

Also, I feel HAL should keep AMCA in mind while setting up lCA production line. They can do a study on how lca production lines ca be utilized for AMCA production in future.

Since, I dont have much idea of production lines. Is their any way to setup universal production line that can be used to build different fighters?
Its obvious that just for order of 20 jets, no one would like to setup a production line that may go idle soon.

Also, I feel HAL should keep AMCA in mind while setting up lCA production line. They can do a study on how lca production lines ca be utilized for AMCA production in future.

How do they keep AMCA in mind if they do not even have a plane to inspect. I believe when a plane is already in production, the next one should be almost ready for test flight and a 3rd one should be in the drawing boards.

well if HAL and DRDO plans to outsource some of the production facilities outside india. then the cost will increase substantially. this cannot be a short term measure as in short term requirements cost mounts substantially. i believe if it has to be done it has to be a long term measure.

however, i m not in favour of this outsourcing.

Like I said before production was key.....It seems some Indian posters always stated it was not difficult and India had the know how.....
I think right now everything is fine. Earlier we didn't had enough to produce hence we didn't needed much infrastructure but now HAL is producing many kinds of aircrafts. HAL has a huge modernization plan of around 4 billion $. Not to mention with increasing capability and experience of our pvt. companies in aerospace sector will give HAL more domestic options for outsource.

But now when our new aircrafts and helicopters will come under production and that too with huge requirement a second production unit in private sector would be good.

Not really but it also depends alot on category and type. Like Su30 line might be helpful in FGFA production and MMRCA in AMCA. I am also not too sure about this. But yeah you cannot use Su30 line for mmrca or lca.

Actually they have set up a small production line but DRDO/ADA wants them to increase production capacity which is not economically feasible unless a big contract is given.
LCA should be given to some other company and even LUH production line should also be given to some private company because HAL will keep producing Dhruv at-least till 2015 (may be more if some new order is placed) and from 2013-2014 LCH will began into production and by 2014 LUH and by 2015 IMRH is supposed to be under production whose order would be at-least 400choppers. I don't think its feasible for HAL to produce so many types of choppers especially when orders are placed even before the choppers are ready.

How do they keep AMCA in mind if they do not even have a plane to inspect.
What is this suppose to mean ??/

believe when a plane is already in production, the next one should be almost ready for test flight and a 3rd one should be in the drawing boards.
This is what happening man....LCA mk1 is under production, LCA naval version is about begin testing, LCA mk2 will start its testing in 1-2 yeas and will enter production by 2014-15. While AMCA & FGFA are on drawing board.

@faithfulguy
Man we know things are not favoring but steps are being taken to meet the challenges, do some more reading.

well if HAL and DRDO plans to outsource some of the production facilities outside india.
No they won't be outsourcing outside India. We now have many private companies in aerospace sector which can support HAL and DRDO especially in helicopters and military transport aircrafts and after MMRCA they will be ready to support HAL/DRDO for fighter jet also. Even now also they can help HAL/DRDO.

Hi i have license of AK 47 how can i buy a reliable weapon.
Would anybody help me please.
Thanks

Actually HAL needs to speed up from its current production facilities and should outsource as much as possible from the private industries. Just recently they set up a new facility for Tejas.

Above all I think HAL is engaged in too many projects in hand.....

SU-30MKI
Teajs
Hawk AJT
Sitara IJT
FGFA
Upgrading Mig-29
Mirage-2000
Mig-27
ALH Dhruv
LCH
LUH
MTA

and many others.

I think it is a welcome move...........HAL is too small to handle all the jets at the same time.This will also improve the condition of the public-private partnership in India .our gov. should encourage it and also should spend sm money on the modernization of HAL and its expansion.:cheers:
Kinetic I want add MMRCA to that list.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom