What's new

DRDO ATAGS 155 mm 52 Cal artillery gun Trialing PICS

Whats difference between 52 caliber and 45 caliber

To add to what my good friend @Abingdonboy has stated above,the calibre is usually written as L/45 or 52 or whatever it is,which means,if you divide the barrel length with this number,you will get the 'calibre' of the gun,which in this case happens to be of 155 mm.So in other words,if you multiply the bore diameter (calibre) with that number (as in L/39 or 45 or 52 or whatever),you will get the barrel length. :)

Dhanush is 45 Calibre

This 52 calibre will be Dhanush MK 2

There is a 52 calibre Dhanush prototype sitting on the Defexpo floor!!

Just to make clear

DRDO ATAGS 52 calibre is the same one as Dhanush 52 calibre or different ?

Just to make clear

DRDO ATAGS 52 calibre is the same one as Dhanush 52 calibre or different ?
Same calibre of course- 155/52

Longer range, but that is due to newer ammunition Dhanush could use as well. They also tout it to be lighter, 2 tons lighter than the original Bofors. Either way, OFBs 52 should be order in numbers, then private line for this can run in parallel.
I'm just trying to understand the utility in the DRDO's ATAGS, from all accounts the Dhanush 52 wil be world class and be just what the IA wants from a towed gun furthermore it is completly indigenised. I'm no expert on this matter and there could obvious benefits for the ATAGS and I would be more than happy if that were the case, I'm just not a fan of duplicating services and change for the sake of change and I think something vital that is missing in the Indian armed forces is uniformity across the board and this imposes its own challenges and costs in the long term.

If the ATAGS is superior to the Dhanush 52 then great- go for it.

Same calibre of course- 155/52

I'm just trying to understand the utility in the DRDO's ATAGS, from all accounts the Dhanush 52 wil be world class and be just what the IA wants from a towed gun furthermore it is completly indigenised. I'm no expert on this matter and there could obvious benefits for the ATAGS and I would be more than happy if that were the case, I'm just not a fan of duplicating services and change for the sake of change and I think something vital that is missing in the Indian armed forces is uniformity across the board and this imposes its own challenges and costs in the long term.

If the ATAGS is superior to the Dhanush 52 then great- go for it.

The requirement is large enough to support multiple platforms. I rather not just have OFB have all the weight trying fill the requirement, no thanks. Supposedly, OFB 52s barrel will eventually come from this program as well.

ATAGS-1.jpg

specs

apologies for being too picky... did the poster say futuristice???

On topic, how many in total are in development? there was a blue print that you guys started working on as well.. is this the same?

apologies for being too picky... did the poster say futuristice???

On topic, how many in total are in development? there was a blue print that you guys started working on as well.. is this the same?

Ignore that.

The blue print was for a manual 155mm 39 cal FH77.

It's been through a eletronic, mechanical upgrade, as well as caliber upgrades to 45, 52.

Cemr3LQXIAAiDUL.jpg:large

The 45 cal is in production. 52 is in developmental trials. This is different from ATAGS program.

Last edited:
The requirement is large enough to support multiple platforms. I rather not just have OFB have all the weight trying fill the requirement, no thanks. Supposedly, OFB 52s barrel will eventually come from this program as well.
The best part of the DRDO ATAGS (IMO) is that its production is being outsourced to Kalyani. OFB have done a fine job upgrading and up-gunning the FH-77B to the Dhanush but I am still skeptical about their production capacity so it is good that there will be another option on the table (ATAGS) and I'm sure Kalyani will put all their weight behind this project as they are hungry for success.

ATAGS might have some advantages over Dhanush-52 but they need to be good enough to offset the value of the money we'll be saving by going for the 52-cal version of Dhanush over a new howitzer.

Looking at it, I can't see much in the ATAGS that we can't implement in the Dhanush-52 with modifications, if necessary. The cost savings and ease of logistics is a major factor and this is where Dhanush will score major points over the ATAGS when & if it comes down to this OR that.

It shares a great deal of commonality with both the Dhanush-45 and the older FH-77B, and we must not overlook that. Both guns should be offered on the export market though.

That was super quick development. Hope we start mass production ASAP and make global pitch for exports especially Vietnam

It's good when you have private firm production agencies, partners. They want the product out quick, unlike others who can afford to wait. TATA-DRDO Kestrel was also developed quick.

It's good when you have private firm production agencies, partners. They want the product out quick, unlike others who can afford to wait. TATA-DRDO Kestrel was also developed quick.
Really a good job government to pressure Psu and give more opertunity for private players

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom