What's new

Dragon's inclusive growth: total length of China's high-speed railway surpassed 19,000km by 2015

My country Australia has been talking about building a HSR along the eastern coast for at least the last 30 years but there is still no sign of it. (It makes me mad, especially the Sydney - Melbourne air corridor is one of the busiest in the world and needs a HSR badly).

Is Australia talking to China about this? Or to other countries like Japan? Or is it just a thought for now?

Is Australia talking to China about this? Or to other countries like Japan? Or is it just a thought for now?

@TaiShang

This HSR issue becomes a hot topic just before every election.

A new government comes in, it will do some "feasibility studies" and then this becomes a non issue.

Then wait for the next election, without fail it will become a topic again as part of some master transportation or similar bullsh*t.

I am used to it.

Africa is the next frontier for China's HSR. A modernized and industrialized Africa is for the best interest of China. Helping friendly nations like Pakistan,Africa etc to achieve this goal by China would also mean less likelihood China's rivalries are achieving the same goal.

20151229105520461.jpg

@TaiShang

This HSR issue becomes a hot topic just before every election.

A new government comes in, it will do some "feasibility studies" and then this becomes a non issue.

Then wait for the next election, without fail it will become a topic again as part of some master transportation or similar bullsh*t.

I am used to it.

Deliberative governance (which is a concept beyond the confines of electoral democracy) is critical for successful management of national affairs, but, if it becomes a tool to be used inter-party rivalry, then it may lead to inaction, or belated action.

This has also becoming the case in Taiwan (province).

Hopefully the regionwide interest in HSR will provide enough impetus for Australia to take real action.

Africa is the next frontier for China's HSR. A modernized and industrialized Africa is for the best interest of China. Helping friendly nations like Pakistan,Africa etc to achieve this goal by China would also mean less likelihood China's rivalries are achieving the same goal.

20151229105520461.jpg
From my limited Chinese, I gather:-
RED = Chinese investment
GREY = Korean investment
YELLOW = Indian investment

Wow! RED all over Africa.
Hope that the Chinese are not over extending themselves ... :-)

Deliberative governance (which is a concept beyond the confines of electoral democracy) is critical for successful management of national affairs, but, if it becomes a tool to be used inter-party rivalry, then it may lead to inaction, or belated action.

This has also becoming the case in Taiwan (province).

Hopefully the regionwide interest in HSR will provide enough impetus for Australia to take real action.

You nailed it.
A resent Australian government report showed construction of the proposed 1700 km HSR connecting Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne could start as soon as 2027 and that the Sydney-Melbourne line could be completed by 2040. The whole network was projected to be operational by 2065. So even it gets approval today, I would be very lucky if i could ever train-ride to surfers paradise alive by then.

And I don't think Australia govt has 114 billion to spend,given it has just spend 40 billion in National Broadband Network. .Australia is heavily debt-laden.

At least some progress were made, on paper of course.
Meantime,
ddf39f89331206e7fba2698e25211ded

From my limited Chinese, I gather:-
RED = Chinese investment
GREY = Korean investment
YELLOW = Indian investment

Wow! RED all over Africa.
Hope that the Chinese are not over extending themselves ... :-)
Yellow=Indian investment (postponed/cancelled)

Who said India wants to match China in everything?

View attachment 284353

BEIJING - Investment in China's railways in 2015 is still growing despite an economic slowdown.

China spent 820 billion yuan ($126 billion) on rail projects in 2015 and put more than 9,000 kilometers of new track into operation, meeting its annual targets of 800 billion yuan investment and 8,000 kilometers of new lines, according to China Railway Corporation.

With a newly completed high-speed railway track in the southern Hainan province, China now has 19,000 kilometers of high-speed rail.

The fast growth of railway construction projects came at a time when the country is enduring continuous deceleration in the growth of fixed-asset investment. In the first 11 months of 2015, fixed-asset investment grew 10.2 percent year on year, slowing from 13.9 percent of growth seen at the beginning of this year.

View attachment 284350 View attachment 284352 View attachment 284351

$126 billion dollar :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

20151229105520461.jpg
lol, according to the legend, basically, only China's projects are ongoing, the rest, South Korea's and India's, stranded.
1.jpg

You nailed it.
A resent Australian government report showed construction of the proposed 1700 km HSR connecting Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne could start as soon as 2027 and that the Sydney-Melbourne line could be completed by 2040. The whole network was projected to be operational by 2065. So even it gets approval today, I would be very lucky if i could ever train-ride to surfers paradise alive by then.

And I don't think Australia govt has 114 billion to spend,given it has just spend 40 billion in National Broadband Network. .Australia is heavily debt-laden.

At least some progress were made, on paper of course.
Meantime,
ddf39f89331206e7fba2698e25211ded

Yellow=Indian investment (postponed/cancelled)

Who said India wants to match China in everything?
Why should Gold Coast and ACT be linked by branch railway?
That's a very lame design.
I'm also wondering, except for passengers in Melbourne and Sydney, are there any other big cities in the middle which can provide enough commuters? The patronage of Shanghai-Beijing HSR was over 100 million in 2014, though Shanghai-Beijing point-to-point ridership is of course much less than 100 million.
屏幕快照 2016-01-03 19.21.55.png

From what I know, I don't think it's 9,000 km in the year 2015. I think it's more like 4,000 km in the year of 2015.
9000km includes normal railways as well as high-speed railways(>250km/h).

New railway projects which start construction in 2015
(datas before Dec. 2014, projects which start before 2015 excluded)
屏幕快照 2015-03-25 22.04.48.png

China was able to complete 4,000 km of HSR last year (2015) because:-
- these HSR lines commenced construction two to four years ago (only completed in 2015).
- multiple teams are building multiple lines simultaneously. (The 4,000 km was not built by one team in one year).
Yes.
I think there are 2 factors that have impacts on time used to build a railway.
1, controlling projects, for example the longest tunnel/bridge;
2, how many workers and engineers can be hired to work on the same project simultaneously.
(How many skilled railway workers and engineers this country can provide)

Last edited:

20151229105520461.jpg

Fingers crossed Daesh won't ruin the project in Libya...

Fingers crossed Daesh won't ruin the project in Libya...
China has already contributed 5000 soldiers to the UN peace keeping troops in Africa.Also China's very first overseas marine military base will be in Djibouti. So it shouldn't be surprised if China uses military means to protect its interest in Africa through anti-terror operation. China has the overwhelming support in Africa. For instance, China railway corp is already Kenya's no.1 employer. Daesh should know that if you destroy people's likelihood, people will destroy you. People's war, anyone?

AndrewJin:
I think there are 2 factors that have impacts on time used to build a railway.
1, controlling projects, for example the longest tunnel/bridge;
2, how many workers and engineers can be hired to work on the same project simultaneously.
(How many skilled railway workers and engineers this country can provide)

A very good point. And I think no country in the world can compete with China in this apart from financial and technological capabilities. That is why China should never enlighten India in this field.

"I am told the Chinese deliver, almost without fail, on quality and timelines". A Kenya journalist says it all in the following news article:
Why are Chinese the main builders of our roads?
OPANGA: Why are Chinese the main builders of our roads? - Opinion | Daily Nation

Can someone tell me if it will be feasible to have HSR from karachi to lahore. or is the distance to long for it to be an effective HSR, as i think anything longer then 2/5 or 3 hours of travel will be too long for people to use it.

So would it be better to connect Karachi HSR to south of punjab say Multan and then have a line from Multan to Lahore.

And surely HSR from lahore to RWP and ISB makes alot of sense as it can cut down car journey travel as thats normally the way people travel to lahore.

Back
Top Bottom