What's new

Does Pakistan Need Secularism?

Is Secular India really Secular and Islamic Pakistan really Islamic?

Revisiting the History through the words of a Nobel LaureateI heard him again yesterday speaking at BBC program hard talk, and I must say that I wished that I could listen to him as long as possible. Such clarity in ideas is rare to witness. Amartya Sen, who is a Nobel Laureate in economics, had many wise things to say.
He said that there is a huge difference between religion as a personal matter and religion as a political phenomenon. This simple but at the same time intricate expression, explains a lot which has happened since 1947 in subcontinent India.

Though Sen is a self proclaimed atheist, he claimed he is/can be associated with Hinduism as a political entity. Well, same was true with Muhammad Ali Jinnah, who was a secular, but had to give up to the political pressure exerted by religious rhetoric coming out of the echelons of congress led by Gandhi. Despite Ghandi being a profound secular, he was strictly religious, and in his life his political identity primarily had come from Hinduism rather than being a ’secular Gandhi’. Later after his death, though the world knows him as a Secular Gandhi, in India he is identified as the demi god of contemporary Hindu history. Despite his claims of being secular, if anything Gandhi represented the political force which primarily symbolized ancient civilisation of Hindu India rather than multicultural India of nineteenth century.
Similarly a least religious man Jinnah, has to come to Muslim league, for his political identity. Muslim league was a party which was clearly dependent upon Islam, whereas Islam had been one of the most influential political forces till the mid 1880s not only in Sub continent India but larger Asia and Africa.

Thus 1947 was an outcome of two independent political and cultural forces, one being more indigenous in nature and one being more global in nature. The question was which force will overcome the other or whether they can retain their independent identities as well as political power.

Clearly Jinnah thought that in larger India, Muslims will be exploited by Hindus, as Hindus were in overwhelming majority. To sustain Islam as a political force in South Asia, Jinnah went on to ask for a separate homeland for Muslims.

Hinduism and Islam as political forces were much like two political parties. Only one could have ruled and one would be subjugated by the other. Only the emergence of Pakistan would have ensured that Jinnah’s Islam would not live under the rule of Ghandi’s Hinduism.

Generally Muslims and Hindus or Islam and Hinduism do not seek to confront the other in pure religious sense. As Sen pointed out, both religions co-existed quite peacefully for centuries after the advent of Islam in sub continent India. Art, culture and science actually blossomed under the multicultural environment of India.
However both Islam and Hinduism become violent whenever they rise as opposite political forces. And then it doesn’t matter whether you belong to a so-called religious state or you are the largest democracy in the South and self proclaimed secular. The outcome of religion as a political entity has the same effect on secular India as it has on Islamic Pakistan. This has happened in 1947 and this is happening today.

Today, India is indeed a secular country but stained with forces of Hinduvta extremists which have nothing to do with religion and every thing to do with politics. Pakistan has it all mixed up, but again it is a country where religion is used as a political tool. The fate of Islamic Pakistan is much similar to that of Secular India. Pakistan, much like today’s India, can quite easily become a secular state with majority Muslims. It will never be politically correct to blame Jinnah. He did meant Pakistan to be a secular state. If anything, the blame goes to the subsequent dictatorial rules in Pakistan, especially that of Zia-ul-Haque, who transformed a political movement of secular Muslims of Pakistan into an extremist religious movement, by introducing religious laws into this country.

Secular India, may not be ’SECULAR’ in a sense we perceive secularism should be, but yes it is a state run by secular laws but dwelled by majority Hindus, a lot many of whom are extremists much like mullahs of their neighbouring country. The reality is that secular India and atheist Amartya Sen associate themselves with Hinduism for their respective political identities in the globe as Pakistan looks for an Islamic identity.

Source : Is Secular India really Secular and Islamic Pakistan really Islamic? - Chowk: India Pakistan Ideas Identities.com

Deen means faith, religion
What about Madhab? what is difference between deen and madhab?

Religion and more specifically Islam can be practiced by a single Muslim living alone in any society to its fullest extent. Its not about the governance, its about individual faith, behavior and actions.
Do you think Islam allow Muslims to carry out the activities in this world whether in the fields of economy, politics, education, administration, culture, communications and so on in complete separation from religion or without any connection whatsoever with the Hereafter. Do you think Sharia (laws of Allah) has no place in life as according to secularism, God does not involve Himself in the lives of man. As such, man can do anything he likes. What is important is profit. What is required is development and progress. The important thing is to gain victory and success no matter how, even if the prohibited (haram) have to be made permissible (halal).

Clearly Jinnah thought that in larger India, Muslims will be exploited by Hindus, as Hindus were in overwhelming majority. To sustain Islam as a political force in South Asia, Jinnah went on to ask for a separate homeland for Muslims.

Hinduism and Islam as political forces were much like two political parties. Only one could have ruled and one would be subjugated by the other. Only the emergence of Pakistan would have ensured that Jinnah’s Islam would not live under the rule of Ghandi’s Hinduism.
And History has proved Jinnah wrong, over and over again! Compare and contrast Indian Muslims and Pakistani Muslims - including the Ahmedis, the Ismailis etc.
Generally Muslims and Hindus or Islam and Hinduism do not seek to confront the other in pure religious sense. As Sen pointed out, both religions co-existed quite peacefully for centuries after the advent of Islam in sub continent India. Art, culture and science actually blossomed under the multicultural environment of India.
However both Islam and Hinduism become violent whenever they rise as opposite political forces. And then it doesn’t matter whether you belong to a so-called religious state or you are the largest democracy in the South and self proclaimed secular. The outcome of religion as a political entity has the same effect on secular India as it has on Islamic Pakistan. This has happened in 1947 and this is happening today.
Nothing could be further from truth. Religious riots in India were the consequence of local politics and sometimes, rarely, national politics. It is not the norm, like that in Pakistan or its famous constitutional discrimination against some religious sects. What happened in 1947 was due to hunger for power by Jinnah to create a state where he wanted his vision. On one hand he demanded a state based on Islam for Muslim minorities of the subcontinent and on the other hand gave a speech of what a secular state Pakistan would be in your assembly.
Today, India is indeed a secular country but stained with forces of Hinduvta extremists which have nothing to do with religion and every thing to do with politics. Pakistan has it all mixed up, but again it is a country where religion is used as a political tool.
Quoted for truth.
The fate of Islamic Pakistan is much similar to that of Secular India. Pakistan, much like today’s India, can quite easily become a secular state with majority Muslims. It will never be politically correct to blame Jinnah. He did meant Pakistan to be a secular state. If anything, the blame goes to the subsequent dictatorial rules in Pakistan, especially that of Zia-ul-Haque, who transformed a political movement of secular Muslims of Pakistan into an extremist religious movement, by introducing religious laws into this country.
Fate of Islamic Pakistan is not similar to that of secular India for very obvious reasons.
Secular India, may not be ’SECULAR’ in a sense we perceive secularism should be, but yes it is a state run by secular laws but dwelled by majority Hindus, a lot many of whom are extremists much like mullahs of their neighbouring country. The reality is that secular India and atheist Amartya Sen associate themselves with Hinduism for their respective political identities in the globe as Pakistan looks for an Islamic identity.
THAT is a blatant lie. The extremists are in a minority and no one gives two hoots to what they say. In contrast, the outpouring of love for Qadri from various quarters of Pakistani society has shown us how deep rooted political and religious misguidance really is in Pakistan.

^ Dude you can disagree with opinions of author of this article as this article is not written by me and i also don't agree with some points he raised

^ Dude you can disagree with opinions of author of this article as this article is not written by me and i also don't agree with some points he raised

Of course, we are discussing the article. I am not targeting you, my friend.

Pakistan was in the name of Islam, is in the name of Islam and will forever be in the name of Islam. Point out one secular law which is better than the corresponding Islamic law. Its a challenge......:cool:

Rape victims aren't punished for being raped.

[alledged] apostates aren't executed, but of course that's a good thing according to the sharia supporting crowd as kafirs are being killed.

Freedom of speech is less restricted.

It is easier for minority religious groups to be patriotic to the state in a secular state.

You copy and pasted the article from that link but why did you need to change the name of Gandhi to Ghandi? I really can't understand many of you!!!!

And History has proved Jinnah wrong, over and over again! Compare and contrast Indian Muslims and Pakistani Muslims - including the Ahmedis, the Ismailis etc.
Compare what? financial conditions? character? health? safety? if you have any statistics to prove that conditions of Muslims in India is better than Muslims in Pakistan then bring it here :)
On one hand he demanded a state based on Islam for Muslim minorities of the subcontinent and on the other hand gave a speech of what a secular state Pakistan would be in your assembly.

Actually there are many secular laws which are compatible with Islam. Islam also give freedom of religion to peoples of different faiths. It is also responsibility of Islamic state to protect the rights, honour and lives of non Muslims living in Islamic state and as i said before there are many Islamic principles which are well implemented in developed western secular countries as compare to some developing Muslim countries. If some Muslims misused Islam for political gains then we should not blame Islam.

You copy and pasted the article from that link but why did you need to change the name of Gandhi to Ghandi? I really can't understand many of you!!!!

I am confused as I did not understand where i did change it as i simply copy the article and then paste it here

All is possible.. btwn the article is some 6 years old.. nice find.
Do you guys have some brain? India did not claim to be secular in 2011. This article was related to discussion going on here so i thought i should share it here and as usual you Indians are busy in discussing irrelevant things

Do you guys have some brain? India did not claim to be secular in 2011. This article was related to discussion going on here so i thought i should share it here and as usual you Indians are busy in discussing irrelevant things

i was quoting that guy .. ... anyways not interested in the topic... was a general observation remark..

chill.. you will get some guy on the forum to have a wonderful discussion on the topic.. i am just not interested..

Regards

i was quoting that guy .. ... anyways not interested in the topic... was a general observation remark..

chill.. you will get some guy on the forum to have a wonderful discussion on the topic.. i am just not interested..

Regards

Dude you should not give your entry in topics you are not interested :P :D

Regards

Compare what? financial conditions? character? health? safety? if you have any statistics to prove that conditions of Muslims in India is better than Muslims in Pakistan then bring it here :)
It has been discussed ad nauseum in these very forums. A simple search would sufffice.
Actually there are many secular laws which are compatible with Islam. Islam also give freedom of religion to peoples of different faiths. It is also responsibility of Islamic state to protect the rights, honour and lives of non Muslims living in Islamic state and as i said before there are many Islamic principles which are well implemented in developed western secular countries as compare to some developing Muslim countries. If some Muslims misused Islam for political gains then we should not blame Islam.
You are right. No one is blaming Islam here, but those who willfully misinterpret its teachings to serve their own sinister motives. Unfortunately among such people are the powers-to-be in Pakistan who have paved its way since Independence. The results are there for everyone to see.

OTOH, you seem to have picked up an article which tries to accuse Hinduism and put it in the same league as militant interpretation of Islam. Not true. Unlike militant interpretation of Islam which, unfortunately for want of louder saner voices, ends up being assumed the voice of many Muslims, there is no such thing as militant Hinduism and those fringe elements who are trying to create a voice for such a non-existent entity are in the fringe minority and are trying to do so in vain.

Back
Top Bottom