What's new

Does India Need ASAT Weapon?

Any nation capable of launching satellites into space can theoretically develop ASAT, all they have to do is to sync the orbit of the projectile with that of the target. Time consuming and expensive proposition it might be.

That's because we are veering off to fantasy la-la land of futuristic weapons instead of getting the basics in order.

Few points to ponder:

1. Our nuclear arsenal is widely stated to be lesser than Pakistan . Pakistan is producing Weapons grade Plutonium at a much higher rate.

2. It is widely suspected that the yield of Pakistani bombs is also better.

3. India certainly does not have thermonuclear weapons. One dubious test followed by claimed computer simulation does not a thermonuclear arsenal make. What credible deterrence exists without thermonuclear weapons.

4. We are inducting delivery systems with minimal testing.

In my view, it is needed to take hard decisions such as resumption of testing, increased fissile material production etc rather than talking about achieving technologies which are clearly useless to us.

1. Nobody knows the actual data . We don't have to produce more but the amount that will act as a credible deterrent .

2. suspected ..... who suspects ??

3. DRDO chief has already said in interview that we have operationally deployed TN weapons .

4. Not true .... Do you think the people in DRDO and SFC will induct platforms that they have no belief in ?? A5 is supposed to be inducted in 2 years after 4 or 5 more tests . That is 7 tests in total .

I have not seen any development they are following without taking into account the threat perceptions we face .

1. Nobody knows the actual data . We don't have to produce more but the amount that will act as a credible deterrent .

2. suspected ..... who suspects ??

3. DRDO chief has already said in interview that we have operationally deployed TN weapons .

4. Not true .... Do you think the people in DRDO and SFC will induct platforms that they have no belief in ?? A5 is supposed to be inducted in 2 years after 4 or 5 more tests . That is 7 tests in total .

I have not seen any development they are following without taking into account the threat perceptions we face .

Dont believe everything DRDO says. Read up neutral sites too. Of course the number of bombs will never be exactly revealed but there are methods of extrapolation for getting an estimate - generally by estimating Weapons grade plutonium. And test yields can be easily calculated through seismographs. As for TN, we dont have and this was told by none other than Dr Santhanam.

I dont believe that patriotism consists of unquestioningly swallowing all the official crap that is dished out. If that, then what is the difference between us and the Chinese? The Congress Government is not exactly renowned for a strategic culture.

Dont believe everything DRDO says. Read up neutral sites too. Of course the number of bombs will never be exactly revealed but there are methods of extrapolation for getting an estimate - generally by estimating Weapons grade plutonium. And test yields can be easily calculated through seismographs. As for TN, we dont have and this was told by none other than Dr Santhanam.

I dont believe that patriotism consists of unquestioningly swallowing all the official crap that is dished out. If that, then what is the difference between us and the Chinese? The Congress Government is not exactly renowned for a strategic culture.

Yaar , you don't want to believe the official data . So which data do you want to believe .

Dr.Santhanam is the part of pro-testing lobby . He pushed this claim to create a controversy so as to prevent the govt. from signing the CTBT as part of 123 deal .

Yaar , you don't want to believe the official data . So which data do you want to believe .

Dr.Santhanam is the part of pro-testing lobby . He pushed this claim to create a controversy so as to prevent the govt. from signing the CTBT as part of 123 deal .

What is the pro testing lobby?? It is in our national interest to test. No one can make strike ready TN after a "sub optimal?!" yield test and computer simulations.

What is the pro testing lobby?? It is in our national interest to test. No one can make strike ready TN after a "sub optimal?!" yield test and computer simulations.

A group of scientist who feels that India should conduct more nuclear test .

OTOH , there is another group which believes that the current data and designs we have is enough for a credible deterrent and there is no more need for more tests any time soon .

Santhanam belongs to the first group while APJ belongs to the latter .

A group of scientist who feels that India should conduct more nuclear test .

OTOH , there is another group which believes that the current data and designs we have is enough for a credible deterrent and there is no more need for more tests any time soon .

Santhanam belongs to the first group while APJ belongs to the latter .

And who are the later chaps?? Fed by the US?? Why should we not test? Doesn't cost a lot of money.

Kalam himself has hardly anything to do with the bomb. He is a rocket scientist who probably knows as much about bomb as any other engineering graduate.

Well we don't need such weapons at present but no one knows the future. Anyway I believe that we can make ASAT weapons but its unlikely that it would be tested publicly in near future.

Can you test it privately?

Can you test it privately?

Why are the Chinese so concerned about what India does? We are never so snoopy about your weapons. Just shows your deep insecurity because you probably know in your hearts that you are not a real power but have just acquired a window of opportunity to amass power through your foreign exchange earnings. But your time is running out. China will never be a real power.

Does India needs ASAT weapons ?

Do we have to ask this question ....

WWI was fought on land and seas
WWII was fought on land , seas an air .
WWIII won't happen but ....

But conflicts will continue ! Covert operations like Stuxnet have potential to cause damage beyond imagination .... ( I am just quoting here to cite importance of websecurity ...I know stuxnext has nothing to do with ASAT weapon ...)

The secured communication and information will be key to defense in 22'nd century ...
and ability to target those vital installations of information traffic will be key to offensive capability ...

The new age conflicts will happen in Cyber and Space domain .....

Satellites will form the backbone of the navigation, communication and Information ...

And hence India needs to have ASAT weapon ....to stay relevant in changing geo-political system .

I do not understand how can people even ask that question as to whether India needs it or not ....

Question should be how soon ?

India has building blocks for AST weapons...but it is not immediate priority , yet reasaech must continue ....

How soon then we should get ASAT weapon ?

my answer is after we have fullfiled our immediate needs such as K4 SLBM ...and MIRV/MARV capability . we should focus on ASAT weapons ...

we have to prepare for future now .... because today's future is tomorrow's present !!!

yes We need one...... and it should be made public.... because if we have one no one will try to touch our satellites

Why India needs ASAT weapons ?

But conflicts will continue ! Covert operations like Stuxnet have potential to cause damage beyond imagination ....

The secured communication and information will be key to defense in 22'nd century ...
and ability to target those vital installations of information traffic will be key to offensive capability ...

And hence India needs to have ASAT weapon .....for offensive capability !

Because Offence is the best defense !!!

I do not understand how can people even ask that question as to whether India needs it or not ....

and my answer is after we have fullfiled our immediate needs such as K4 SLBM ...and MIRV/MARV capability . we should focus on ASAT weapons ....

we have to prepare for future now .... !

And after getting a real TN for Min Nuclear deterrent.:sick:

And who are the later chaps?? Fed by the US?? Why should we not test? Doesn't cost a lot of money.

Kalam himself has hardly anything to do with the bomb. He is a rocket scientist who probably knows as much about bomb as any other engineering graduate.

Fed by the US .... for what ??? we are not testing because it will follow sanctions .

The ones who are against testing do so because they believe that the current capability is enough .

Kalam was the Project Chief Coordinators of pokhran2 .

Does India needs ASAT weapons ?

Do we have to ask this question ....

But conflicts will continue ! Covert operations like Stuxnet have potential to cause damage beyond imagination .... ( I am just quoting here to cite importance of websecurity ...I know stuxnext has nothing to do with ASAT weapon ...)

Satellites will form the backbone of the navigation, communication and Information ...

And hence India needs to have ASAT weapon ....to stay relevant in changing geo-political system .

India has building blocks for AST weapons...but it is not immediate priority , yet reasaech must continue ....

How soon then we should get ASAT weapon ?

my answer is after we have fullfiled our immediate needs such as K4 SLBM ...and MIRV/MARV capability . we should focus on ASAT weapons ...

we have to prepare for future now .... because today's future is tomorrow's present !!!

Perfect responds.....

Couldn't have said better.

Back
Top Bottom