What's new

Do you still use coins and banknotes ?

Do you guys still use coins and banknotes nowadays ? My use of them has dramatically decreased over the years especially due to payments made with bank cards and the fact that nowadays you can use bank cards and contactless payment for very small value sales. To this point,I don't even have any banknotes or coins on me or at home anymore.

@Nilgiri @waz @Cell_DbZ @Indus Pakistan @Hamartia Antidote @UKBengali @anant_s @Path-Finder @A.P. Richelieu et al.

Rarely use cash. I do keep a roll of quarters in the car in case someplace has parking meters that only take coins.

Even Coke vending machines take cards or Apple Pay.

Do you guys still use coins and banknotes nowadays ? My use of them has dramatically decreased over the years especially due to payments made with bank cards and the fact that nowadays you can use bank cards and contactless payment for very small value sales. To this point,I don't even have any banknotes or coins on me or at home anymore.

@Nilgiri @waz @Cell_DbZ @Indus Pakistan @Hamartia Antidote @UKBengali @anant_s @Path-Finder @A.P. Richelieu et al.
I do.

Hi @Vergennes
Yes Plastic money has drastically cut down use of actual currency especially in high value transactions but atleast in India, unorganized sector still works of cash. Small vendors and traders (grocery and vegetable sellers, local transport, bakeries etc) almost entirely transact in cash and therefore i still have to carry cash especially in small denominations.
One big reason for that has historically been these people donot have access to banking system which our present government is trying to break by encouraging no frills very small accounts which poorer sections of society can use. recently Indian Post Office system was allowed to open bank accounts which has a massive reach in India. The idea is to reduce currency circulation and allow all citizens to be in formal economic system and enjoy social benefits passed directly to consumer by government.
On a nostalgic note, although it is more convenient and modern way of carrying money through cards or cellphone app payment systems, people like me who grew in classical system of monetary transaction, still find handling cash bit satisfying. My mum used to give me 2 to 5 ruppees back in late 80s/90s (~ 6 or 7 cents in those days) on some occasions such as successful completion a class and that was enough for a group of 4-5 people (even if only 2 contributed money) to have a small feast of sorts. I felt millionaire with those coins in my pocket :toast_sign:

Most stores take a bankcard even for small amounts. Bought a liter of milk today and paid with a card. I pay my bills by connecting to the bank, but most bills gets paid automatically anyway.
I transfer money easily to other people over the smartphone. Just need to know their telephone number.

I use cards for 99% of spending (unless i'm buying illicit things, obviously) and keep less than 20 cash as backup. But its really not good for your health. Impulse buying is the down side. And also you don't 'feel it' when parting with money and you end up spending more. I wonder how long anyone can survive without a bank account or plastic card these days? I think a month tops.

Also banks are right perverts these days. The other day I called them up and they introduced 'voice' banking, where they recognise your voice and run it through patterns to see how angry or happy you are. That is another down side, they collect too much information and you are unaware of what info they have.

Reminds me of a story in the paper the other day when a man got pissed off with his local bank and tried to set it on fire. 'man jailed after trying to set fire to bank after blocked payment' https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/...-trying-to-set-fire-to-metro-bank-in-bromley/ lool

I always have some cash and coin on me (mostly left over from my last travel to remote more rural area etc)....but yes I barely use them....in fact I don't remember last time I used it. Probably at restaurant last year when the bill worked out well (with tip) just to leave 30 bucks exactly.

Also handy to help out some bums who clearly just want a coffee and a donut etc...esp in winter.

Do you guys still use coins and banknotes nowadays ?
Nope. Very rarely. With advent of contactless payment I stopped carrying cash. Very few times when I need to buy things from some shops that don't accept card or have £5 limit - then am forced to get cash from ATM. Even that is nusiance because only Post Office ATM's give £5 cash. Others do minimum £10 which means if I buy something lots of change flies about in my pocket.

Also handy to help out some bums who clearly just want a coffee and a donut etc...esp in winter.

When they ask me for change I always tell I don't have any cash on me.... but I'm quite afraid they'll modernize and come up in the future with credit card machines... lol. :p:

I use cards for 99% of spending (unless i'm buying illicit things, obviously)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Back
Top Bottom