What's new

Do the players now regard money more than national pride?

Jango

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
yesterday i for the first time in my life watched an IPL match...and pollard was a man really obsessed....great catches in the match and also before that match...against KKR i think....and he was also moralizing the team alot and shouting and was feeling very lively....but in the match against pakistan...he was really uninterested adn dropped a catch and was playing as if it was a sunday match and not a QF....while yesterday he played like it was a final....so the question is that have the players forgotten national pride for the money adn fame and glamour....people talk about the game opf cricket as a gentlemans game and all that....and the spirit of play and everything....well the IPL has taken all of it out the drain!!!money....money adn more money please!!

He was excited because 40,000 mumbai indians in the ground was cheering for his each and every move.... Adrenaline pumps in blood when u see such an environment ... Moreover playing with some great players in the same teams forces a player to perform above his potential(to match the great ones)..

Whatever,,, it was a great match... i loved it...awesome fielding by symo, rohit, satish pollard etc.... they gave whatever they had for the match..

i agree with humanist that you do tend to reaise your game in that environment but in the QF of the world cup for one time in four years....a person could look a more interested figure.....

ipl have destroyed cricket..........and few years after ,it will also be finished..
too much cricket...

No i don't think that players regard money more than national pride.
What you saw in pollard was mixture of

1 love for game
2 enthusiastic run of adrenaline because of cheers from crowd.
3 With every good move his confidence got build up(pretty humane)

Now where was it against pakistan?
1 Dropped a catch, low in confidence.
2 Not much crowd to cheer and support (As compared with pakistani supporters)
3 Like Misbhah and Younis khan, he too wasn't able to handle pressure of QF match of World cup(Cup that matters)

I hope i cleared the air.:agree:

Well I want to ask a simple question,what is the problem if they go for money rather than playing for country,is not this common human instinct,to earn more and more,such kinds of clashes can be avoided if such leagues r provided with a window in the calender yr.

ipl have destroyed cricket..........and few years after ,it will also be finished..
too much cricket...

I agree with too much cricket... but IPL didnt destroy the cricket... wait for a decade or so u will see how IPL will make cricket more famous then wat ICC did till now... But at the same time there is a need to tweak the game a bit.. we need to allow more international cricketers(5 in each team) in every team to improve the quality of overall game.
I feel very sad when i see cricketers like oram,lee, haddin, bollinger, nathan mcullam, etc sitting on benches

Well I want to ask a simple question,what is the problem if they go for money rather than playing for country,is not this common human instinct,to earn more and more,such kinds of clashes can be avoided if such leagues r provided with a window in the calender yr.

Yes..This is classic case of expecting others to die for country while i can chill out at Mcdonalds...
Whats wrong with players trying to earn more..They deserve this money..After they have a limited period to earn for their life..

There is nothing wrong or out of place in Cricket being commercialized in this way. We just need to look at the other contemporary sports from Association Football to NBA to Lawn tennis, F1 and Golf . Every sport requires to be properly marketed and "sold" to the audiences , else large number of spectators will start losing interest. For example just a few years back , around the time of 2006 ( The FIFA world cup in Germany ) spectator interest in football in the eastern states like West Bengal and the North -eastern states was at its peak . I still remember everyone from tea -sellers to pan wallahs , discussing about the Argentine line-up or Kahn 's latest exploits .

Besides as far as the lucrative deals being offered to players of Pollard, Haddin , Lee , Mc Cullum's callibre are concerned , it pales in comparison to what Rooney , or Messi is being offered in Europe.

Ultimately IPL is a great motivation and influence on not just the subcontinent but across the entire Cricketing world in general. When youngsters in England, New Zealand or West Indies watch these Games with record fees being offered to players and some really world class cricket being put on display, It will serve to draw their interest from other attractions like Rugby ( in South Africa or New Zealand ) or the NBA ( in the case of the West Indies ).

Already an entire Generation of West Indian Fast bowling talent has been lost to the U.S NBA leagues . Even today a tall , well build Jamaican athlete is attracted more by the NBA and would rather take up Basketball than concentrate on Cricket. Given that the number of Nations playing serious cricket is strictly limited to the common wealth, unlike Soccer , Golf , F1 or Tennis which have truly international footprints , such professional endeavours in our sport should be encouraged .

i think it's actually the burden of the national pride which pushing players more towards IPL....

just take the example of sri lanka , wasn't it a national pride for them to be in the final of the WC , but then what happened , sangakara lost captancy for what , coz he take his team up to the finals , is this the reward players gets for a national pride , ...

and then when players making some money for their future by playing in IPL , some politician comes up with his false ego and try to hammer their pockets....

and then ask misbahaul hak , why he gone to a hinding after the sami final , isn't he actually paying the price of nation pride...
and then when i first sew this http://www.defence.pk/forums/cricket/105058-misbah-unlcuky-team-pakistan-proof.html#post1698364
i first thought it is funny , but actually it's disgusting ..

so , my point is simple , don't let the national pride be a burden on the players..

i can see cricket is going to go the football way in few years time. players will get together for national duty once in every four years time! in between there is only going to be club cricket! ipl has shown the way! that's where all the money & glamour is! & it would be very hard for players to resist. trend has already started. we see top players like Gayle, pollard.. etc.. choosing to play for clubs rather than country! taking retirement from intl cricket is not a big deal anymore!
not that i approve any of the above! i still think test cricket is the best form of cricket. but sadly things are not gong to be the same!

I am afraid, the answer is YES.

And it is across all nationalities.

My question is

Why are they put in a situation where they have to choose ?

I think its Dumb to have those meaningless bilateral 3,5,7 match ODI series or uneventful triangular series.
Play tests(real cricket) and meaningful one day competetion(like the world cup,asia cup) and there will be enough room for IPL like series.

Back
Top Bottom