What's new

Do Overseas Chinese wear Poppies ?

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Chinese officials object to British delegation wearing poppies
Chinese officials object to British delegation wearing poppies - The Globe and Mail

A British official says Chinese diplomats objected to the wearing of silk Remembrance Day poppies by Prime Minister David Cameron and members of his delegation during meetings in Beijing.

The diplomats stated the poppies would be offensive because they are a reminder of the 19th century Opium Wars in which British forces defeated Chinese troops on their own soil, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

Overseas Chinese should dig up history books to keep themselves updated.

Well maybe you should read history a little more carefully yourself. Remembrance Day also known as Armistice Day, recall the official end of World War I on Nov 11th in 1918, as the major hostilities of World War I were formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice. (Note that "at the 11th hour", refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 am.)

and the poppies worn are a reference to this Canadian poem from the first world war by Col. John McCrea whose childhood house is down the street from mine.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Nothing to do with the Opium war and if I recall, China was on the side of the Allies in the first world war.

One object will have different associations for different people.
Poppy - Opium War in China. Seems like the Brits dun quite care for what impression they leave.

Screw tesco, johnny walker and english classes... though I will allow myself one scone with cream and jam.

One object will have different associations for different people.
Poppy - Opium War in China. Seems like the Brits dun quite care for what impression they leave.

Screw tesco, johnny walker and english classes... though I will allow myself one scone with cream and jam.

Let's not sweat this because this is obviously some idiot chinese official who doesn't know basic botany or history.

This is a opium poppy.

Opium-Poppy_-Raj_.jpg

This is the poppy that grew upon the crosses row on row.

poppy-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the place where Chinese soldiers fought did not have any poppy fields.

They have a remembrance on December 13, on the anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre.

Back
Top Bottom