What's new

Do CFTs Only Contain Fuel !

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The much talked about Conformal Fuel Tanks or CFTs are considered a must on modern aircraft these days as we are told that, ''Conformal fuel tanks are additional fuel tanks fitted closely to the profile of an aircraft that extend either the range or "time on station" of the aircraft.'' Furthermore with CFTs attached, the aircraft can carry additional under wing weapons instead of drop tanks. But the question arises, do these tanks only carry fuel in them. If that is the case then why do they come in separate parts and above all why do they have access panels all along their length.

Mid section of a CFT being attached by PAF ground crew.
f-16_fighting_falcon_pakistan_air_force_no_5_sqn_02.jpg

Access Panels visible along the length of CFTs.
ec918b452ce7fbe955d7a5f73018ceb3.jpg

5903897136_094787d3a8.jpg

On the F15s the CFTs were originally called FAST packs (fuel and sensor tactical). They could carry stuff such as sensors if hardpoints were not available

On the F15s the CFTs were originally called FAST packs (fuel and sensor tactical). They could carry stuff such as sensors if hardpoints were not available
With over a dozen access panels on each F-16 CFT, i wouldn't be surprised if they contain other gadgets than just fuel.

No the F-35 does not and will not have CFTs as those would greatly increase it's RCS.

Guys, forget the F-35 and others and kindly address the OP query . Thanks.

F-35 is the latest kid on the block.....without CFTs presently.
But F-35 is a really chunky jet. It can contain much more fuel and electronics.
I think that CFT on JF-17 is an absolute necessity and here are my arguments:

> Pakistan has no strategic depth and hence in case of a total war, our air force will have only one chance to strike or defend. PAF jets will most likely take off only once and have to carry out multiple missions: offensive and defensive. I dont think Air refueling or landing again to refuel can work in Pakistan because 1) All air bases will be destroyed quickly. 2) All air refueling tankers will be hit by Long range BVRAAMs and Long range SAMs.
> A short endurance of the aircraft will greatly hamper our air superiority because we dont have numerical strength. We cannot afford much of the fighters to be on the ground refueling.

But F-35 is a really chunky jet. It can contain much more fuel and electronics.
I think that CFT on JF-17 is an absolute necessity and here are my arguments:

> Pakistan has no strategic depth and hence in case of a total war, our air force will have only one chance to strike or defend. PAF jets will most likely take off only once and have to carry out multiple missions: offensive and defensive. I dont think Air refueling or landing again to refuel can work in Pakistan because 1) All air bases will be destroyed quickly. 2) All air refueling tankers will be hit by Long range BVRAAMs and Long range SAMs.
> A short endurance of the aircraft will greatly hamper our air superiority because we dont have numerical strength. We cannot afford much of the fighters to be on the ground refueling.
Also don't forget the HPs which will be freed. They will enable it to carry more munitions.

The much talked about Conformal Fuel Tanks or CFTs are considered a must on modern aircraft these days as we are told that, ''Conformal fuel tanks are additional fuel tanks fitted closely to the profile of an aircraft that extend either the range or "time on station" of the aircraft.'' Furthermore with CFTs attached, the aircraft can carry additional under wing weapons instead of drop tanks. But the question arises, do these tanks only carry fuel in them. If that is the case then why do they come in separate parts and above all why do they have access panels all along their length.

Mid section of a CFT being attached by PAF ground crew.
f-16_fighting_falcon_pakistan_air_force_no_5_sqn_02.jpg

Access Panels visible along the length of CFTs.
ec918b452ce7fbe955d7a5f73018ceb3.jpg

5903897136_094787d3a8.jpg
CFT's are used for carrying fuel and different types of mission oriented sensors.Most likely off-board ESM and EW suits.My guess is these CFT's are of different types having same shape but different plumbings for carrying fuel or sensors.
They likely carry equipment for SEAD/DEAD ops.
When our neighbours make hue and cry over just few odd airframes,it means these do have some nasty surprise.
In case of F-16blk70(F-21) right side CFT has IFR probe for refueling.
Possibly from Trench 2 or 3
No the F-35 does not and will not have CFTs as those would greatly increase it's RCS.
It is designed with time span of next 50 years in mind.It carries 8278 kg's of fuel,allowing it to have CR of 1093 km.
About sensors it carries state of the art sensors with enough internal room for future upgrades.

In case of F-16blk70(F-21) right side CFT has IFR probe for refueling.
August 2, 2010 (by Lieven Dewitte) - Although the F-16 has been exported worldwide for 35 years now it can only be refueled in air by the handful of air forces that fly boom-equipped tankers.
The probe’s prototype has been demonstrated and showcased at the Farnborough Air Show and it can be used on Block 50/52 and block 60 variants.
3.JPG

August 2, 2010 (by Lieven Dewitte) - Although the F-16 has been exported worldwide for 35 years now it can only be refueled in air by the handful of air forces that fly boom-equipped tankers.
The probe’s prototype has been demonstrated and showcased at the Farnborough Air Show and it can be used on Block 50/52 and block 60 variants.

3.JPG
CARTS.jpg

Windy look at that Usraeli modification.
post-15-1062950647.jpg

Back
Top Bottom