What's new

DM: Decision on Rafale on March 2015, awaiting CNC report

PARIKRAMA

Reaction score
Country
India
DM: Decision on Rafale on March 2015, awaiting CNC report

New Delhi: India will decide on the fate of a multi-billion-dollar deal to buy Rafale fighter jets from Dassault Aviation of France by early March, after the contract negotiation committee (CNC) submits its report, defence minister Manohar Parrikar said on Wednesday. Price negotiations have dragged on since 2012, when Rafale won a tender to supply 126 fighter planes for the Indian Air Force (IAF).

I would not be able to comment on it till CNC gives me a detailed report,” Parrikar said in reply to a question. “I have told them to submit it by March... last week of February or first week of March.”

The committee is reviewing the long-term costs, called the life cycle costs, which will be incurred over the life of the plane. Parrikar said he has sought an increase in IAF fleet’s operational performance to make up for the gap.

He declined to specify the gap in the fighter jet fleet requirements, calling it a “national security” matter. When asked if the delay is upsetting foreign vendors, he replied with an anecdote, “If you go to a supermarket with your wife, you want to buy everything. Then you see your budget and monthly EMI and you only buy to the extent that is allowed in your budget. I would like to buy many jets, but I can’t spend that kind of money. There are ships, submarines for which commitments have already been made and which will come up for allocation in next year’s budget and we have to keep them,” he said. On the upcoming defence budget, he only said he only hoped that the needs of defence forces are attended to.

Decision on French fighter jet Rafale in March: Manohar Parrikar - Livemint

Defence Ministry awaiting CNC report to finalise delayed Rafale deal: Parrikar

1424249777-2181.jpg

Business Standard

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today said the Contract Negotiation Committee (CNC) is expected to give its final report on acquisition of French fighter plane Rafale either by end of February of early March. The decision is not being dragged by the NDA government, he assured.

"I have asked for the report and not received yet. Until the detailed report is submitted, I will not be able to comment on the multi-billion dollar aircraft acquisition deal," Parrikar told reporters at the Aero India 2015, here today.

When asked about the three-year delay when the country needs modernisation of Indian Air Force and Rafale formed important part of it, he pointed out the NDA government had come to power only ten months ago. "I have asked the CNC to speed up the process of completion of the report. The CNC report is inevitable for the government to make final decision on the deal," he said.

"We are determined to strengthen our defence forces. But, we will also focus on maximising the use of the current availability of war planes. This is also important," he added.

He further added that there was no delay in the finalisation of the deal.

The defence minister also added the government is also in the process of tweaking the defence procurement policy to enable the small and medium sector enterprise get a better deal in the offset clauses. "We are aware of the problems faced by MSME sector. We also know that they can contribute handsomely to defence production and Make in India a bigger success," Parrikar said.

Defence Ministry awaiting CNC report to finalise delayed Rafale deal: Parrikar | Business Standard News

“If you go to a supermarket with your wife, you want to buy everything. Then you see your budget and monthly EMI and you only buy to the extent that is allowed in your budget. I would like to buy many jets, but I can’t spend that kind of money.

There are ships, submarines for which commitments have already been made and which will come up for allocation in next year’s budget and we have to keep them,”

I think we now know the answer to the MMRCA :D .............. it could not have been any clearer.

Ta-ta bye-bye Rafale, it was nice knowing you :P

Last edited:
“If you go to a supermarket with your wife, you want to buy everything. Then you see your budget and monthly EMI and you only buy to the extent that is allowed in your budget. I would like to buy many jets, but I can’t spend that kind of money.

There are ships, submarines for which commitments have already been made and which will come up for allocation in next year’s budget and we have to keep them,”

I think we now know the answer to the MMRCA :D .............. it could not have been any clearer.

Ta-ta bye-bye Rafale, it was nice knowing you :P
I saw this interview by our DM. Looks like we will drop it at will . And going for more Sukois .

So we will give follow on order for scorpenes to France to keep them happy ?

So we will give follow on order for scorpenes to France to keep them happy ?

Why are we required to keep them happy ? its not like they have done us any favour...... and if they have, it can be returned in kind, not cash.

@sancho these are his words. Exact words. I can't find its video .

@sancho these are his words. Exact words. I can't find its video .

Found and seeing it right now. :tup:

P.S. Pretty interesting press conference, the media grilled him on many issues (even Ajay Shukla asked an interesting questions:D):

Last edited:
Which makes me wonder, if we have decided not to buy the aircraft, what is the hurry to declare it as a no show ?

We need to keep negotiating with them for another year while putting plan B in place. No need to hurry up and say No.

Which makes me wonder, if we have decided not to buy the aircraft, what is the hurry to declare it as a no show ?

We haven't decided not to buy it, we still keep negotiation, since Dassault is not complying to the rules and regulations of the tender. When these negotiations are done, we hopefully go for it, but if they fail to deliver what we want, we have to stop negotiations, since we can't wait for new fighters any longer. Three years were more than enough time for Dassault to fix it, if they can't either other Europeans or Russians might, as simple as that.

We haven't decided not to buy it, we still keep negotiation, since Dassault is not complying to the rules and regulations of the tender. When these negotiations are done, we hopefully go for it, but if they fail to deliver what we want, we have to stop negotiations, since we can't wait for new fighters any longer. Three years were more than enough time for Dassault to fix it, if they can't either other Europeans or Russians might, as simple as that.

Which is my point. We have set a deadline for this Financial year to make a decision. That makes good sense only when we WANT to buy it.

If we have decided that we will NOT buy it if RFP is not complied with then what is the need to declare a deadline ? It is better to lead them on for as long as possible. Why give our adversaries an opportunity to start negotiating with them ? That is just stupid.

India made the same mistake with the Varyag. We should have brought it and then sunk it in the Indian Ocean. That would have made more strategic sense.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom