What's new

Ditching Myanmar, huge Korean investment in Bangladesh

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ditching Myanmar, huge Korean investment in Bangladesh

Rajiv Ahmed, Dhaka
October 17, 2019

South Korean investors are also showing interest in investing in Bangladesh's economic zone. One industrial park developing company of the country wants to do an industrial park in Bangladesh just like the same model in Korea, where about 100 companies will invest.

The company seeking to construct the industrial zone is Korea Industrial Complex Corporation (KIC). They have given a letter to the Bangladesh Economic Area Authority (BEZA) stating this interest.

But the most significant aspect of this interest is that the company is working to create two industrial parks in Myanmar. However, due to the lack of infrastructure in the country,
hundred potential investors from the
two industrial parks are trying to move to a third country.
They told KIC to construct industrial park in other countries. Accordingly, KIC is interested in doing industrial park in Bangladesh.

In a letter sent to Beja last Tuesday, KIC said they have been working with the country's government for the construction of an industrial park in Myanmar's Bago region and Mon state since 2013.
However, construction of power infrastructure, water supply to industries and other infrastructure in Myanmar are delayed. Because of this, Korean companies that wanted to invest in Myanmar have now requested industrial parks to move to a third country.

The letter also said that six companies have been selected to go to Bangladesh. KIC wants to do an industrial park experimentally.

100 Korean companies want to come to Bangladesh
KIC wants to do industrial park on 400 acres of land
Already the investment has exceeded $ 1 billion
All major investors in EPZ are Korea
Disputes over KEPZ's land were not resolved

BEZA's executive chairman Pawan Chowdhury said investors from many countries are showing interest in investing in economic sectors. That is the continuation of the Korean company. However, he said, after coming up with such investment proposals, it will be decided according to the rules to allocate land.
The economic zone is made easier by the government's agreement with the government.

Myanmar had always been ahead of Bangladesh in its foreign investment. However, Bangladesh moved ahead leaving Myanmar behind in 2018. Myanmar received $3.55 billion of foreign investment that year. On the other hand, Bangladesh gets $ 3.61 billion investment.

KIC wants 400 acres of land in Bangladesh. The project is named after the Korean Industrial Complex Development Project in Bangladesh. In all, they are interested in investing US $500 million or 4250 cr Tk. They will manufacture textiles, leather, jewelry, etc. KIC will hold a meeting with Beja on November 7.

According to the Korean Embassy website in Dhaka, Korea has so far invested more than $ 1 billion in Bangladesh. It has created employment of one lakh people. Korea is the largest investor in the country's export processing zone (EPZ). Korean companies make up 25 percent of the total investment.

Korea now has an export processing area as China, Japan and India are doing in the country. The Korean Export Processing Zone (KEPZ) has an area of 2,212 acres in Anwar, Chittagong. However, the work of establishing it started in 1999, but disputes over land were not resolved.

"Korea can be an important source of labor-intensive industries that we want in Bangladesh," said Khandaker Golam Moazzem, director of research at the Policy Dialogue (CPD), and said the government was giving land to investors from different countries. For Korea, the issue of land in Mirsarai is also considered.

মিয়ানমারকে বাদ দিয়ে বিপুল কোরীয় বিনিয়োগ বাংলাদেশে

রাজীব আহমেদ, ঢাকা
১৭ অক্টোবর ২০১৯, ১১:০০
আপডেট: ১৭ অক্টোবর ২০১৯, ১১:২০
প্রিন্ট সংস্করণ

124c38686336360a2466eb2456e34e7a-5da7f0d506d63.jpg
রয়টার্স প্রতীকী ছবি।দক্ষিণ কোরিয়ার বিনিয়োগকারীরাও এবার বাংলাদেশের অর্থনৈতিক অঞ্চলে বিনিয়োগের আগ্রহ দেখাচ্ছেন। দেশটির একটি শিল্পপার্ক উন্নয়নকারী কোম্পানি বাংলাদেশে কোরিয়ার আদলে একটি শিল্পপার্ক করতে চায়, যেখানে দেশটির প্রায় ১০০টি কোম্পানি বিনিয়োগ করবে।

শিল্পপার্ক করতে চাওয়া কোম্পানিটির নাম কোরিয়া ইন্ডাস্ট্রিয়াল কমপ্লেক্স করপোরেশন (কেআইসি)। তারা এ আগ্রহের কথা জানিয়ে বাংলাদেশ অর্থনৈতিক অঞ্চল কর্তৃপক্ষকে (বেজা) চিঠি দিয়েছে।

তবে এ আগ্রহের সবচেয়ে উল্লেখযোগ্য দিক হলো কোম্পানিটি মিয়ানমারে দুটি শিল্পপার্ক তৈরির কাজ করছে। তবে দেশটিতে অবকাঠামো তৈরি না হওয়ায় শিল্পপার্ক দুটি থেকে সম্ভাব্য ১০০টি কোরীয় বিনিয়োগকারী প্রতিষ্ঠান তৃতীয় কোনো দেশে সরে যেতে চাইছে। তারাই কেআইসিকে অন্য দেশে শিল্পপার্ক করার কথা বলেছে। সে অনুযায়ী কেআইসি বাংলাদেশে শিল্পপার্ক করার আগ্রহ দেখাচ্ছে।

বেজাকে গত মঙ্গলবার দেওয়া চিঠিতে কেআইসি জানিয়েছে, তারা ২০১৩ সাল থেকে মিয়ানমারের বাগো অঞ্চল ও মোন রাজ্যে শিল্পপার্ক তৈরি নিয়ে দেশটির সরকারের সঙ্গে কাজ করছে। তবে মিয়ানমারে বিদ্যুৎ–ঘাটতি, শিল্পে পানি সরবরাহসহ অন্যান্য অবকাঠামো তৈরিতে বিলম্ব হচ্ছে। এ কারণে যেসব কোরীয় কোম্পানি মিয়ানমারে যেতে চেয়েছিল, তারা এখন তৃতীয় কোনো দেশে শিল্পপার্ক করার অনুরোধ জানিয়েছে।

চিঠিতে আরও বলা হয়, বাংলাদেশে যেতে আগ্রহী ১০০টি কোম্পানি নির্বাচন করা হয়েছে। কেআইসি পরীক্ষামূলকভাবে একটি শিল্পপার্ক করতে চায়।

১০০টি কোরীয় কোম্পানি বাংলাদেশে আসতে চাইছে
৪০০ একরের মতো জমিতে শিল্পপার্ক করতে চায় কেআইসি
ইতিমধ্যে বিনিয়োগ ১০০ কোটি ডলার ছাড়িয়েছে
ইপিজেডে সব বড় বিনিয়োগকারী কোরিয়ার
কেইপিজেডের জমি নিয়ে বিরোধের সুরাহা হয়নি
বেজার নির্বাহী চেয়ারম্যান পবন চৌধুরী বলেন, অনেক দেশের বিনিয়োগকারীরা অর্থনৈতিক অঞ্চলে বিনিয়োগে আগ্রহ দেখাচ্ছেন। কোরীয় কোম্পানি তারই ধারাবাহিকতা। তবে তিনি বলেন, এ ধরনের বিনিয়োগ প্রস্তাব আসার পর নিয়ম অনুযায়ী যাচাই-বাছাই করে জমি বরাদ্দের সিদ্ধান্ত হয়। সরকারের সঙ্গে সরকারের চুক্তির ভিত্তিতে অর্থনৈতিক অঞ্চল করা হলে সহজ হয়।

মিয়ানমার বিদেশি বিনিয়োগে সব সময় বাংলাদেশের চেয়ে এগিয়ে ছিল। অবশ্য ২০১৮ সালে মিয়ানমারকে পেছনে ফেলে বাংলাদেশ। ওই বছর মিয়ানমার ৩৫৫ কোটি ডলারের বিদেশি বিনিয়োগ পেয়েছে। অন্যদিকে বাংলাদেশ পায় ৩৬১ কোটি ডলারের বিনিয়োগ।

কেআইসি বাংলাদেশে ৪০০ একরের মতো জমি চেয়েছে। প্রকল্পের নাম দেওয়া হয়েছে কোরিয়ান ইন্ডাস্ট্রিয়াল কমপ্লেক্স ডেভেলপমেন্ট প্রজেক্ট ইন বাংলাদেশ। সব মিলিয়ে তারা ৫০ কোটি ডলার বা ৪ হাজার ২৫০ কোটি টাকা বিনিয়োগে আগ্রহী। এতে তারা বস্ত্র, চামড়া, জুয়েলারি ইত্যাদি পণ্যের কারখানা করবে। এ নিয়ে আগামী ৪ নভেম্বর বেজার সঙ্গে বৈঠক করবে কেআইসি।

ঢাকায় কোরীয় দূতাবাসের ওয়েবসাইটের হিসাব অনুযায়ী, কোরিয়া এখন পর্যন্ত বাংলাদেশে ১০০ কোটি ডলারের বেশি বিনিয়োগ করেছে। এতে এক লাখ মানুষের কর্মসংস্থান হয়েছে। দেশের রপ্তানি প্রক্রিয়াকরণ অঞ্চলে (ইপিজেড) সবচেয়ে বড় বিনিয়োগকারী কোরিয়া। মোট বিনিয়োগের ২৫ শতাংশ করেছে কোরীয় কোম্পানিগুলো।

দেশে এখন চীন, জাপান ও ভারত যে অর্থনৈতিক অঞ্চল করছে, তেমনই একটি রপ্তানি প্রক্রিয়াকরণ এলাকা করেছে কোরিয়া। চট্টগ্রামের আনোয়ারায় কোরীয় রপ্তানি প্রক্রিয়াকরণ অঞ্চলটির (কেইপিজেড) জমির পরিমাণ ২ হাজার ৪৯২ একর। তবে ১৯৯৯ সালে এটি প্রতিষ্ঠার কাজ শুরু হলেও জমি নিয়ে বিরোধের সুরাহা হয়নি।

সেন্টার পর পলিসি ডায়ালগের (সিপিডি) গবেষণা পরিচালক খন্দকার গোলাম মোয়াজ্জেম বলেন, ‘বাংলাদেশে আমরা যে ধরনের শ্রমঘন শিল্প চাই, সে ক্ষেত্রে কোরিয়া গুরুত্বপূর্ণ উৎস হতে পারে।’ তিনি বলেন, সরকার বিভিন্ন দেশের বিনিয়োগকারীদের জন্য জমি দিচ্ছে। কোরিয়ার জন্যও মিরসরাইয়ে জমি দেওয়ার বিষয়টি বিবেচনা করা যায়।

https://www.prothomalo.com/economy/article/1619599/মিয়ানমারকে-বাদ-দিয়ে-বিপুল-কোরীয়-বিনিয়োগ-বাংলাদেশে

But the most significant aspect of this interest is that the company is working to create two industrial parks in Myanmar. However, due to the lack of infrastructure in the country, hundred potential investors from the two industrial parks are trying to move to a third country.
They told KIC to construct industrial park in other countries. Accordingly, KIC is interested in doing industrial park in Bangladesh.
Comparing to the Japanese the Koreans are more outward-looking and internationalized. I was in Seoul for six months a long time ago. They are more open-minded and unlike Japanese can mix with other nationalities. I only wish they will not later regret their coming to the BD shore. BD has many criminal-minded people. Japanese think of themselves as the White man of Asia and like to segregate from others. Although developed, but being in mainland Asia, Koreans may be a little different.

Their only bad thing is their liking of eating dog meat.

Comparing to the Japanese the Koreans are more outward-looking and internationalized. I was in Seoul for six months a long time ago. They are more open-minded and unlike Japanese can mix with other nationalities. I only wish they will not later regret their coming to the BD shore. BD has many criminal-minded people. Japanese think of themselves as the White man of Asia and like to segregate from others. Although developed, but being in mainland Asia, Koreans may be a little different.

Their only bad thing is their liking of eating dog meat.

On topic KEPZ’s 2212 acre land dispute at Anwar, Chittagong has not been resolved since 1999. This is indeed a great concern.

Regarding South Korean’s eating dog habit things are changing as South Korean declared killing dog for meat is illegal.

Killing dogs for meat illegal: S Korean court

Afp, Seoul
A South Korean court has ruled the killing of dogs for meat is illegal, in a landmark decision that animal rights activists said yesterday could pave the way to outlawing eating canines. The meat has long been a part of South Korean cuisine, with about one million dogs believed to be eaten annually. But consumption has declined as South Koreans increasingly embrace the idea of dogs as man's best friend rather than livestock.

www.thedailystar.net/world/killing-dogs-meat-illegal-s-korean-court-1593622%3famp

On topic KEPZ’s 2212 acre land dispute at Anwar, Chittagong has not been resolved since 1999. This is indeed a great concern.

Regarding South Korean’s eating dog habit things are changing as South Korean declared killing dog for meat is illegal.

Killing dogs for meat illegal: S Korean court

Afp, Seoul
A South Korean court has ruled the killing of dogs for meat is illegal, in a landmark decision that animal rights activists said yesterday could pave the way to outlawing eating canines. The meat has long been a part of South Korean cuisine, with about one million dogs believed to be eaten annually. But consumption has declined as South Koreans increasingly embrace the idea of dogs as man's best friend rather than livestock.

www.thedailystar.net/world/killing-dogs-meat-illegal-s-korean-court-1593622%3famp

Even if they eat dogs, I don't see any problem. There are many stray dogs in BD, eat all you want for free.

BD should move quick and get them aboard....to sweeten the deal offer each company guaranteed supply of dogs if they are so fond of it.
Dog meat is Korea's national delicacy but the govt has almost banned it. I heard from other people in BD that the number of dogs decreased in places where the Koreans worked on a project.

I wish a Korean EPZ near Faridpur Town where there may be more stary dogs than the human population. I heard that some local people volunteer to catch dogs for consumption by the Koreans. I wonder, what will be the reactions of our Mullahs especially when they hear the Koreans usually cut the bottom skin (soles) in the feet and the dogs die of bleeding. It is a little painful in my opinion.

@Black_cats, @Bengal71

Myanmar is just a den of smugglers, criminal and dictators.
when the bong bros of yours with the help of injuns were killing Pakistanis, guess who was trying to help them Pakistanis
Sex slaves too. They’re trade is connected with child traffickers of Cambodia
no sex slavery or trade in bong shonarland, no siree bob none whatsoever!

I think this @doorstar is trolling as usual.
@The Eagle could you please come here and tell me that I am trolling

Yeah but my comment was about Myanmar.. I did not talk about Bd or any other country so I really do not understand the reason of his comment and wondering if he is okay and stable.
if you were a Pakistani, you would know the events of 71 treasonous rebellion and war and the role of Burma.

@The Eagle could you please come here and tell me that I am trolling
Can you explain the reason of your reply to comment. Are you a citizen of Myanmar as well or related to them somehow... I mean what triggered you?

if you were a Pakistani, you would know the events of 71 treasonous rebellion and war.
Regardless of that, it does not change my opinion about Myanmar.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom