What's new

Did Preet Bharara's office goof up in Devyani Khobragade case?

It seems both US and India are looking for a cop out. So much for expected US bravado by wanna be Americans.

no she is gonna become the consulate general and the u.s has to deal with her every time she has to deal with india :smokin:.that would be interesting

i never knew first post is indian!!
Attorney claims 'error' in Devyani arrest, Bharara may have goofed up | Firstpost

so after all they laid charges on the diplomat based on not any false document filed by the diplomat but by the document filled by the nanny!!sounds interesting

4500+allowances.lets wait and see what happens to the case after this new twist.
Not really up to snuff on diplomatic relations, are we? If she is made Consulate general....it is Indian citizens in the US that she will deal with mainly. State to state relation will go through the Ambassador...as always.

other than groceries,shopping expenses and taxes(they do have some tax exemptions) she does'nt have to pay much from her pocket.

I see how India is jumping from one argument to the other and how aggressively it is reducing privileges of US diplomatic mission. If she could've been defended by this 4500/month argument, India wouldn't have been that desperate and turning every possible stone.

Besides, Indian diplomatic staff can be tax exempt but not the maids who works at their houses. After earning 4500 and not paying taxes, Indian Diplomat must have been paying enough to her maid that she could live a month on and pay taxes and it is illogical to think how can sum of 4500/month can make Khobragade and her maid run their houses and so happily on this sum.

I just hope Justice prevails and whoever is on it.

Last edited:
I see how India is jumping from one argument to the other and how aggressively it is reducing privileges of US diplomatic mission. If she could've been defended by this 4500/month argument, India wouldn't have been that desperate and turning every possible stone.

Besides, Indian diplomatic staff can be tax exempt but not the maids who works at their houses. After earning 4500 and not paying taxes, Indian Diplomat must have been paying enough to her maid that she could live a month on and pay taxes and it is illogical to think how can sum of 4500/month can make Khobragade and her maid run their houses and so happily on this sum.

I just hope Justice prevails and whoever is on it.
india reduced the privileges of u.s diplomats to what indians were given in u.s.its not a very aggressive step as many perceive. reciprocity is common in diplomatic relations.aggressive is arresting some us diplomat and strip searching him/her stating that they violated indian law..

the maid sent all her salary to her husband in india. and still she could eat well ,buy new clothes,live in newyork ,and go to beauty parlor!!i wonder who paid for all that!

i wish the same lets wait and see as the case progresses.

Not really up to snuff on diplomatic relations, are we? If she is made Consulate general....it is Indian citizens in the US that she will deal with mainly. State to state relation will go through the Ambassador...as always.
i dont think this incident might spoil india-us relations. we've been through worse.even though she is a deputy consulate general she is working there on behalf of india.and she is appointed in the same manner as the diplomats are appointed. indian protocol gives her the same rank as with the diplomats and like diplomats she too is appointed by the warrant and seal of president of india.so its common here that we expect her to be treated with due respect.

india reduced the privileges of u.s diplomats to what indians were given in u.s.its not a very aggressive step as many perceive. reciprocity is common in diplomatic relations.aggressive is arresting some us diplomat and strip searching him/her stating that they violated indian law..

the maid sent all her salary to her husband in india. and still she could eat well ,buy new clothes,live in newyork ,and go to beauty parlor!!i wonder who paid for all that!

i wish the same lets wait and see as the case progresses.

i dont think this incident might spoil india-us relations. we've been through worse.even though she is a deputy consulate general she is working there on behalf of india.and she is appointed in the same manner as the diplomats are appointed. indian protocol gives her the same rank as with the diplomats and like diplomats she too is appointed by the warrant and seal of president of india.so its common here that we expect her to be treated with due respect.
Perhaps Indian protocol gives her the same rank....not so internationally. If you will notice....they are covered under totally different conventions.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom