What's new

Diamer-Bhasha : Pakistani diaspora excited to donate for dams

Zibago

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan’s recent speech calling the expatriate Pakistanis to donate for construction of Diamer-Bhasha and Mohmand dams has triggered a lively debate among Pakistanis, including those living abroad, on social media.

Most of the people have expressed excitement to generously contribute in the dam-building efforts.

The Pakistanis diaspora seem to be more eager than ever to donate for the fund after receiving a call from the PM.

People using social media are also encouraging each other to donate for the fund.

A representative of Pakistani community from Qatar, Malik Qaiser Awan, who is working as coordinator in IPF group of companies Qatar, announced through a video message on social media to donate $100,000 to the PM-CJ Diamer-Bhasha and Mohmand Dams Fund on behalf of the Pakistani community in Qatar.

“We are a group of friends … living in Qatar and we … will continue sending more until the target is reached,” he said.

Zafar Iqbal, an engineer working in Muscat, Oman, told this correspondent that he and other compatriots were very passionate about contributing to the fund.

This enthusiasm is not confined to just well-off people. Even people with low incomes are also quite passionate in this regard.

A UAE taxi driver’s video went viral on social media. He said that he would donate $50 to the fund in accordance with his earnings.

Before the appeal, expatriate Pakistanis had responded in a lukewarm manner to the fund.

They donated only Rs21.5 million out of the total amount of Rs1.94 billion, according to the data updated by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on September 6.

The SBP also issued a circular that banks in Pakistan would not charge any service fee on such transactions from abroad made through payment cards (debit, credit or pre-paid cards).

Meanwhile, PTI’s Leader of the House in Senate Shibli Faraz told a news channel that he expected overseas Pakistanis to donate between one and two billion dollars over the next six months.

According to experts, if the government managed to accumulate between 400 and 500 billion rupees, work on the Diamer-Bhasha dam could be initiated by the middle of next year.

Under Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) of 2018-19, the federal government had already allocated Rs23.68 billion for the dam, while total PSDP share for this project was fixed at Rs232 billion, which would be disbursed over the next few years.

In April this year, the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) had approved the construction of Diamer-Bhasha dam at an initial estimated cost of Rs474 billion.

But, the dam’s total cumulative cost would be at least Rs1.45 trillion if power generation facilities are taken into account.

This gigantic project will have a 6.4 million acre-foot live water storage capacity with an installed power production capacity of 4,500 megawatts.

After its completion, the project would increase national water storage capacity to 45 days and would enhance life span on downstream reservoirs, including the Tarbela Dam.
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1799340/1-diamer-bhasha-pakistani-diaspora-excited-donate-dams/

People are facing problems transferring the funds. The least our institutions can do is to facilitate them and make sure they are able to transfer/donate easily. The provided link do not works smoothly, the process takes too much time, gives error over and over again. This is what i have been told with a very good friend trying to transfer some dollars from Ireland. Same issue with a guy in USA. My university roommate is in UAE and faces similar problem.

This is bad. The government should make sure that there is NO PROBLEM whatsoever for anyone trying to donate.

It is a very good start but still I believe that Pakistan will have to organize at least 2 Donors Conferences and invite friendly countries there to contribute for dams. We should stop using this arrogant narrative that we will not ask for money from any country. We dont even have money to run country, these donations from Pakistanis will give maximum 2 Billion dollars what about the rest of the 10+ Billion dollars? With current economic condition we cant allocate 2 billion dollars in budget every year. I dont think its enough. Another way to get funds is to retrieve it from the corrupt elite but it seems that govt is not in mood to use any money retrieval method. Govt is busy shuffling bureaucracy by the rate of 1 change / week.

This is for our future generation. Molvi /Mullah tolla should also come forward for this cause and use speaker in Mosque for this positive cause and they can attract millions of worshippers for this development.

@Zibago

I heard Naya Pakistan doesn't need Qadiani advise on the economy, but is it halal to give my money? I mean, would it taint the mominoons money in this fund if I were to donate some?
Pray for safety of Fawad Chaudhry thats all i can say ashiqs want his head for considering a group of humans as a group of humans

Pray for safety of Fawad Chaudhry thats all i can say ashiqs want his head for considering a group of humans as a group of humans

I always pray for all sane people in Pakistan. He should have been advised before not to go out gun blazing in front of the media, the so called ashiq's are severely emo and may explode on little provocation. My best wishes and prayers for IK, Fawad Chaudhry and this government and Pakistan.

People are facing problems transferring the funds. The least our institutions can do is to facilitate them and make sure they are able to transfer/donate easily. The provided link do not works smoothly, the process takes too much time, gives error over and over again. This is what i have been told with a very good friend trying to transfer some dollars from Ireland. Same issue with a guy in USA. My university roommate is in UAE and faces similar problem.

This is bad. The government should make sure that there is NO PROBLEM whatsoever for anyone trying to donate.

They should.

But your friend need not to be worry because its a long process Minimum it will required around 10 Years of continues support.

No matter how big or small donation is but this is a long struggle and we should support it till the end(Project completion).

@Zibago

I heard Naya Pakistan doesn't need Qadiani advise on the economy, but is it halal to give my money? I mean, would it taint the mominoons money in this fund if I were to donate some?
Money from all places is halal dont believe me just ask great momins like Izhaq Dar

I always pray for all sane people in Pakistan. He should have been advised before not to go out gun blazing in front of the media, the so called ashiq's are severely emo and may explode on little provocation. My best wishes and prayers for IK, Fawad Chaudhry and this government and Pakistan.
Truth they took a stand and even army sided with them you didnt notice the subtle messages on defence day but he was betrayed by his own party his own mna, s rebelled on this issue with pmln and ppp still with full pokcets he had two choices take a stand and go down or let the country be consumed by old oarties after using the old religion card he himself used when it was juicy

They should.

But your friend need not to be worry because its a long process Minimum it will required around 10 Years of continues support.

No matter how big or small donation is but this is a long struggle and we should support it till the end(Project completion).
But you cannot say this to a person who is trying to donate responding the call of PM that do not worry, you can always come back and donate another day. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

As for that particular guy, he decided to send the money to me via money transfer services which i can then deposit in the Dam Fund.
=====================================================
A very important thing that keeps on bothering me, what is the actual amount for Diamer-Basha and for Mohmand dam, separately. We should at least have details of what we are trying to achieve here. I know that not everything will come from donations and a major portion will be from gov/debts but still,, at least let people know what the target amount is. The cost of these two projects varies on different sources.

A very important thing that keeps on bothering me, what is the actual amount for Diamer-Basha and for Mohmand dam, separately

Well for both the dams, required amount is $14 billion as per Chief Justice. He has mentioned this amount multiple times. Mohmand Dam is just 40 KM away from Peshawar and expected to cost around $ 2-3 billions. It will generate 800 MW of electricity while Bhasha 4500 MW, which suggests that , Bhasha is nearly 5.5 times bigger dam than the Mohmand.

But you cannot say this to a person who is trying to donate responding the call of PM that do not worry, you can always come back and donate another day. This needs to be fixed ASAP.
As for that particular guy, he decided to send the money to me via money transfer services which i can then deposit in the Dam Fund.
101% Agreed. Just pointing out its not 1 time deal but required our continues support.
=====================================================
A very important thing that keeps on bothering me, what is the actual amount for Diamer-Basha and for Mohmand dam, separately. We should at least have details of what we are trying to achieve here. I know that not everything will come from donations and a major portion will be from gov/debts but still,, at least let people know what the target amount is. The cost of these two projects varies on different sources.

If we get lucky and peoples started donating generously for 10 Years we might able to arrange approximately 1/4 of project cost but its unlikely to be honest.

14B$ is estimated actual could be much higher.
Reasons:
1>Rupee Devaluations
2> Cost of production increasing with passage of time (Minimum 9.5 year required)
3> Remote Site
4> DIfficult Terrain
5> Multiples Main Lines 500KVA (At least 2) is required for Long & Difficult Terrain to connect it with National System
6> Actual Cost is always much higher when project is finished.

Well for both the dams, required amount is $14 billion as per Chief Justice. He has mentioned this amount multiple times. Mohmand Dam is just 40 KM away from Peshawar and expected to cost around $ 2-3 billions. It will generate 800 MW of electricity while Bhasha 4500 MW, which suggests that , Bhasha is nearly 5.5 times bigger dam than the Mohmand.
True, Dams are also the cheapest source of electricity. Tarbela and Ghazi Barotha Hydropower Project produced 21808 GWh of electricity in FY 2016-2017. The average unit cost of production for both the plants was Rs 2.49/kwh.

informative article about the project:

According to an initial estimation proposed by the WAPDA officials, the initial proposed financial cost would be 12 biilion dollars.

Atleast 5 billion dollars is the minimum requirement to initiate the construction of Dam whereas another 7 to 10 billion dollars are required for the power generation.

https://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/45...n-for-Dam-Fund-CJP-PM-Imran-Khan-bank-account

Further,

The experts say that the proposed project upon completion would serve the following key purposes:

(i) Produce 4,500 megawatts of electricity through environmentally clean hydropower generation
(ii) Amass an extra 8,500,000 acre feet (10.5 km3) of water for Pakistan that would be used for irrigation and drinking
(iii) Extend the life of Tarbela Dam located downstream by 35 years
(iv) Control flood damage by the River Indus downstream during high floods.

A suggestion I had in my mind, what if we request China to add these dams in CPEC and then operate on build-operate-transfer basis, meaning China will fund major portion of the dam and then after construction it will operate the dam for a certain number of years during which it will recuperate its investment by the sale of water and electricity. Is this possible?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom