What's new

Devyani Khobragade gets full diplomatic immunity after transfer

There is more to this saga. Apparently its been going on for a few months. Perhaps she sold the nanny visa or simply didn't pay her due wages or ...... There are a bunch of theories out there.

What is fact though, a determination of will was on display when they arrested her and went through her privates.

State Dept knew very well who she was, they planned it. This was not an act on a whim by the U.S. Marshals.

well bhai pakistan helped USA cause it wanted free and unchalleneged supplies dollars and wepons for itys forces to be used aginst india and for thet they went to extreame while looking at the big picture and later when they.....khair jane do its off topic you know why your in this state much better than any indian ...dont you
LOL like u people always say that there is no such thing like free kunch so if we r helping them so much in such a big way its obvious they will support as we also had pacts with them even before the war under CEATO/SENTO as we r talking abt a time when the 1991 new world order wasnt in place and it was largely called ''cold war era''.

So yr comment dont makes sense.

This guy has absolutely gone bersek ....he is now talking that Indian court and indian government has conspired ....against whom ....? and why ???

Can't believe people can stoop so low ....to get their 'American' labels 'polished' that they won't mind tarnishing their own motherland !!!

India has no dual citizenship so if he is an American then he is just that and he is not "tarnishing their own motherland".

what is the source ?

UN is a sovereign body ... just like Edward snowden who is holed up in Equador embassy can't be touched ....Devyani Khobragade can't be touched inside premises of UN .

Shifting her to UN mission is an interim measure ....

This can be followed by subsequent measure such as promotion to ambassador to UN or any other such post which will give her full diplomatic immunity ...

US state department clearance would be necessary when person is yet to enter US ...
as UN headquarter is located in New York ....to get to UN you have to get into US ....

But for person who is already in New York such as Devyani Khobragade ...such clearance may not be required ....

Provide source to your quote, if you have one....thanks .

Quote:
just like Edward snowden who is holed up in Equador embassy can't be touched ....Devyani Khobragade can't be touched inside premises of UN .
Really 'Edward Snowden' too! Or rather, 'Julian Assange'!!!!

US diplomats have faced far worse. We don't gauge our national prestige by how well our diplomats get treated overseas. Gosh Indians sure have their priorities all wrong :coffee:

Although I agree with them that this case was not handled properly the sheer emotional responses being elicited is hilarious and the conspiracy theories about some force out to get them is asinine. :cuckoo:

There is a difference between embassy staff (diplomats) and consular staff (consuls). The embassy is headed by an ambassador, the consulates by a consular general. Both diplomats and consuls have diplomatic immunity - maybe total, maybe partial. The woman in question had partial diplomatic immunity, which means that she could be prosecuted by the host country, but there are some rules to follow before doing so. Informing the consular general, observing sensitivity etc. None of those courtesies were followed.

I believe you're incorrectly using "rules" and "courtesies" interchangeably.

A US State Department spokeswoman says the department would have to sign off on a request to move her from the consulate to the UN mission, and no such request has been received.

Apparently she'd need US approval before she can "full" diplomatic immunity. Even if she was granted full diplomatic immunity, it will not be enforced retroactively.

India moves diplomat Devyani Khobragade to UN mission, following arrest in New York that sparked diplomatic row - Australia Network News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I believe you're incorrectly using "rules" and "courtesies" interchangeably.

Not interchangeably, but side by side.

Some of them are codified rules, like informing the consular general. But the part about handling it sensitively - that is open to interpretation, so I couldn't strictly call it a rule, hence I used 'courtesy'.

I think we can agree that unnecessary strip searches and cavity searches and public arrests are not a sensitive way of handling it, but since I can't think of a way to define sensitivity, I called them courtesies.

real bottom line is that america has examined the bottom line of a female indian diplomat and there is not much india will be able to do about it
Really Mr. I know it all.

Kerry Apologises. Hes the same Kerry who owns ur ***. So Just STFU.

We Indians are not used to listen from countries like Pakistan who have been selling their Asses and Moms to Superpowers. Hope I made my point clear. :)

Not interchangeably, but side by side.

Some of them are codified rules, like informing the consular general. But the part about handling it sensitively - that is open to interpretation, so I couldn't strictly call it a rule, hence I used 'courtesy'.

I think we can agree that unnecessary strip searches and cavity searches and public arrests are not a sensitive way of handling it, but since I can't think of a way to define sensitivity, I called them courtesies.

No hosted nation law enforcement allow to barge into an embassy to arrest anyone, to arrest the Indian diplomat, US law enforcement need to arrest her in the public venue which she is no longer be protect by the embassy arrangement. Indian can't contend with the notion of Indian diplomat arrested and handcuff in the public view. Only way to arrest her is in the public.

No hosted nation law enforcement allow to barge into an embassy to arrest anyone, to arrest the Indian diplomat, US law enforcement need to arrest her in the public venue which she is no longer be protect by the embassy arrangement. Indian can't contend with the notion of Indian diplomat arrested and handcuff in the public view. Only way to arrest her is in the public.

She did not work at an embassy. So you are back with your uninformed drivel.

Well....first & foremost there's more to the story that we've gotten so far....
Also, that lady diplomat, from what is published in the media, is accused of 'falsifying requisite documents' and NOT paying the 'predetermined wages to her domestic help'! (AND etc. etc.)
Lastly, the Law Enforcement Authorities must definitely have a 'VERY' justifiable reason to 'probe', i.e. 'Cavity search' her!

Just my $.02 Cents!

Right, like making sure that she was not surreptitiously transporting drugs into the prison, hidden in her orifices. That's what cavity searches in prison are for; if they expected a diplomat to have contraband stuck up her orifices...

She did not work at an embassy. So you are back with your uninformed drivel.

Then she not immune to be arrest for the crime she commit in the US, why are Indian in here cry for consulate immunity after her arrested in the 1st place. You call my statement uninformed drivel since you claim she should not be arrest because of consulate immunity. The statement itself is contradiction, either she is a consulate or not, you can't claim either or nor to fit your defense.

If she not a diplomat, then India government make a fuss out of nothing just like a bunch of drama queen.

Right, like making sure that she was not surreptitiously transporting drugs into the prison, hidden in her orifices. That's what cavity searches in prison are for; if they expected a diplomat to have contraband stuck up her orifices...

She/GOI is free to file a lawsuit against the US Marshals if she feels like her civil rights were violated as a result of the cavity search.

Then she not immune to be arrest for the crime she commit in the US, why are Indian in here cry for consulate immunity after her arrested in the 1st place. You call my statement uninformed drivel since you claim she should not be arrest because of consulate immunity. The statement itself is contradiction, either she is a consulate or not, you can't claim either or nor to fit your defense.

If she not a diplomat, then India government make a fuss out of nothing just like a bunch of drama queen.

This has been answered several times in this very thread. If only you read the thread before commenting...

For the millionth time - diplomats and consuls are both protected by the vienna convention. Diplomats have full diplomatic immunity from prosecution, consuls have partial immunity. This woman had partial immunity, and so there were many rules to be followed even if they wanted to arrest her.

Please read the thread before barging in.

Giving full diplomatic immunity does not resolve the core issue of - slave practice by none other than a diplomat. Now, india try to shield her from prosecution but that will encourage slave practice by better off class of india. It is amazing how indians lost sight on such self inflicting issue.

Back
Top Bottom