What's new

Developers plan $500m mini-China in Australia

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Australia plans to open a Chinese theme park with highlights including a full-scale replica of the gates to the Forbidden City. Local residents, who hope to boost the region's economy through tourism, are showing a huge interest in the project.

The council of Wyong Shire, located about 80 kilometers north of Sydney, has signed an agreement to sell 157,000 square meters of land to the Australian Chinese Theme Park Pty Ltd for $10 million, for the construction of the $500 million theme park.

The sprawling park will also feature a nine-story temple housing a giant Buddha and a mini-city modeled on water towns in South China.

The first stage is likely to be a replica of the gates to the Forbidden City, Beijing's Imperial Palace, complete with red walls and golden roofs.

There will also be a section constructed in the architectural style of the Tang (AD 618-907) and Song (960-1279) dynasties, with small courtyards typical of a Chinese neighborhood, and another in the style of the Ming (1368-1644) and Qing (1644-1911) dynasties.

Other areas will include a theater, a royal villa and a children's section devoted to pandas, though it will not include live animals.

Chinese restaurants will also be built in the park, said Cameron Bell, a communication officer for the project. The first phase of construction is expected to start in 2015, while the remaining stages are expected to begin in 2018, he said.

"What this proposal will do is turn the Wyong Shire into a tourist Mecca and bring millions of dollars worth of tourism into the area,” said Wyong Shire Mayor Doug Eaton in a statement on the city's website.

The mayor said he hopes the park will be another must-see for tourists, along with Sydney's Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

Bruce Zhong, chairman of the company building the theme park, said it will enrich the Australian tourism industry. He added that the number of well-known tourism attractions in the country is quite limited.

The park also will give a major boost to local employment by offering more than 1,000 new jobs, said Zhong. He hopes Australians will come and visit. "It will be easy to reach for all Australians, based on the convenient road and railway networks in the country,” he said.

Louis Taylor, who lives in Perth, said the theme park idea is "fantastic” and he will surely visit it. "I would expect to see some Chinese scenery and, if possible, experience Chinese food and drink or even try to make Chinese food myself,” he said.

Yang Yanfei, a Chinese international student at Queensland University of Technology, said, "I will probably take my Australian friends there when the park is set up,” adding that international students do not have many amusements in Australia.

More than 400,000 Chinese tourists visit the state of New South Wales each year.

Australia earlier unveiled its Asian Century White Paper, outlining its great interest in improving communication and cooperation with Asian countries.

But Chinese people so far have not shown much interest in going to Australia to visit the park.

Guo Lingmei, spokeswoman for BTG International Travel & Tour, said the park will face a big challenge in attracting Chinese tourists because they can visit the real sites in their home country rather than seeing fakes in a foreign one.

Developers plan $500m mini-China in Australia|Economy|chinadaily.com.cn

more China Towns in Australia? Sydney is already full of Chinese. :rofl:

not surprising....recent developments show that australia more recently is tryn to get the leverage from countries like china and india which have a great potential..

Lol Wyong...Did anyone even know where Wyong is?It's in the Central Coast in NSW, It is in the Intercity (not Suburban) Line of Sydney, it took you about 2-3 hours from Sydney Central Terminal. IT is not in Sydney, Sydney was about 50 KM away

Build a Chinese park there = lose money. Nobody going to Wyong, well, nobody ever in Wyong for anything........

They should build one in haymarket, that would make money.....

But maybe what i heard is true, Wyong Council are going bust and will do probably anything to earn money rather than increase rate which the local say no already......

Lol Wyong...Did anyone even know where Wyong is?It's in the Central Coast in NSW, It is in the Intercity (not Suburban) Line of Sydney, it took you about 2-3 hours from Sydney Central Terminal. IT is not in Sydney, Sydney was about 50 KM away

Build a Chinese park there = lose money. Nobody going to Wyong, well, nobody ever in Wyong for anything........

They should build one in haymarket, that would make money.....

But maybe what i heard is true, Wyong Council are going bust and will do probably anything to earn money rather than increase rate which the local say no already......
its not really abt money..thats a good gesture to chineese..money is secondary

lol don't get me wrong, i would like a Chinese attraction in Sydney like anybody else, but why have they want to choose Wyong... That place have nothing.........It's not like they can use this park and stimulate the economy of Wyong, that [place is doomed. Even we Australian do not go to Wyong anymore..........

they should have put it in Red Fern, Central if they have money, Cabramatta/Canley Vale if they want to related to Asia (Namingly Vietnamese) Culture. Or Campbelltown if they just want Cheap land.

Sour grapes? butt hurt or both

Actually, there are more Vietnamese community in Sydney than China Community.

You can find Vietnamese Town in Canley Vale, Canley Height, Regent Parks, Cabramatta, Eastwood
You can only find China town in Haymarket

Some town are co-op

Parramatta (Half Chinese Half Vietnamese), Stratfield (Half Chinese Half Korean), Hurstville (Half Chinese, Half Vietnamese), Epping (Half Chinese, Half Korean)

Oh its definitely about money for the council of Wyong shire(?) .

Looks interesting, as long as it doesn't start making political statements.

Hope there are lots of Chinese restaurants. (yum)

Don't know why Chinese tourists would go to Australia to see more China though, might draw other tourists.

I hope this is for the average Australians, I just don't see the point of the Chinese folks coming all the way to see a little Chinatown.

Oh its definitely about money for the council of Wyong shire(?) .

Looks interesting, as long as it doesn't start making political statements.

Hope there are lots of Chinese restaurants. (yum)

Don't know why Chinese tourists would go to Australia to see more China though, might draw other tourists.

I hope this is for the average Australians, I just don't see the point of the Chinese folks coming all the way to see a little Chinatown.

This is for average Australian, not for Average Chinese, if an Average CHinese want to come to Australia and then they want to see Australia. (Opera House, HArbor Bridge, Blue Mountain and etc) It would be stupid to ask a Chinese to "Hey, come and see our little China which you can see everyday when you open your window......."

Wyong is flat broke, they are the lease money manking concil we have in Australia. Compare t obig council like Paramatta or City of Sydney, it earn only 1/10 of what those 2 earn. And tax rate is not high in Wyong, so they will have to resort to this to draw in domestic tourism.

But still what i say is, Wyong put the advert to the wrong side of the earth, in Australia, where i am now, no one even know Wyong is building such a place, and again, as i said, nobody going to wyong anymore.........

Well, similar reason to when Chinese tourists visit San Francisco, they all go to visit Chinatown :rofl:

lol don't get me wrong, i would like a Chinese attraction in Sydney like anybody else, but why have they want to choose Wyong... That place have nothing.........It's not like they can use this park and stimulate the economy of Wyong, that [place is doomed. Even we Australian do not go to Wyong anymore..........

they should have put it in Red Fern, Central if they have money, Cabramatta/Canley Vale if they want to related to Asia (Namingly Vietnamese) Culture. Or Campbelltown if they just want Cheap land.

Actually, there are more Vietnamese community in Sydney than China Community.

You can find Vietnamese Town in Canley Vale, Canley Height, Regent Parks, Cabramatta, Eastwood
You can only find China town in Haymarket

Some town are co-op

Parramatta (Half Chinese Half Vietnamese), Stratfield (Half Chinese Half Korean), Hurstville (Half Chinese, Half Vietnamese), Epping (Half Chinese, Half Korean)

Seems you know well of our footprints in Australia. :lol:

The Australians are very friendly towards the Vietnamese. However, As far as I know, more and more Chinese as well as Indians are going to work and live in Australia.

Seems you know well of our footprints in Australia. :lol:

The Australians are very friendly towards the Vietnamese. However, As far as I know, more and more Chinese as well as Indians are going to work and live in Australia.

10 month in this place and you will get a hang on where is what and how to go there.

Beside i spend 2 years as a kid before i come back to this country........

Not Chinese or Indian, but Hong Konger as they have a Working Holiday visa, you cna work for a years without the need to have a employer sponsorship. For Mainland Chinese and Indian, you need to apply for a visa and stay in Oz. You cannot work more than 20 hours a week if your visa is a student visa, which is what they mostly have

Back
Top Bottom