What's new

Delhi thinks China has military base in Chittagong!

Without understanding the context the idiot who made that statement and the idiot who is quoting him are both being devious and dishonest. It is the same tactics used by Kingfisher99 who made a statement starting with a half-truth. The person who came up with the cookie gar comment is guilty of slander and defamation because he did not produce a single piece of evidence that I lied except his own opinion of the subject. At least if I accuse someone of lying I do not hide like a coward behind a pseudonym. If you accuse me of being corrupt then say it like a man with your real identity not a like a coward behind a false ID.

The Indians are 'aggrieved' again that I have caught them out again in this thread. I repeat that Kingfisher99 has been playing a devious game like a true RAW agent and has been caught red handed and practically in the cookie jar. See post #84-#88.

I understand your plight the accusation does appear to be genuine( as the person is talking with figures) at least for common man like me, Btw its difficult to get hands out of cookie Jar.
I joined this forum much much before you joined your accusation is naive and childish.

Lets get back to the fancy topic.

The issue that arose in the incident about the cookie jar was that the BD army chief had allegedly abused his powers and took some benefit concerning a loan. I was informed by a senior army officer that the allegation was untrue. I merely conveyed that message.

HOW THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ME A LIAR?

Even if what was conveyed to me was untrue that does not affect my truthfulness or veracity.

The Indians on this forum need a few lessons about honesty and integrity. They have been caught out again in their dishonesty and deception. Read posts #84-#88.

The issue that arose in the incident about the cookie jar was that the BD army chief had allegedly abused his powers and took some benefit concerning a loan. I was informed by a senior army officer that the allegation was untrue. I merely conveyed that message.

HOW THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ME A LIAR?

Even if what was conveyed to me was untrue that does not affect my truthfulness or veracity.

The Indians on this forum need a few lessons about honesty and integrity. They have been caught out again in their dishonesty and deception. Read posts #84-#88.

Thanks for confirming the accusation is not entirely untrue, Your defense is what was conveyed to you was untrue, Why did you call the article poster an idiot was he also a paid employee of "aggrieved RAW" ? Working over time to see to it that Bangladesh is near the bottom of Global corruption Index ?

Anyway we have diverted from topic.
There is stench of fish here.

China does not yet have any base in Chittagong but I think they should be given one as soon as possible for the wolf is too close, disguised as the grandmother that helped us thirty seven years ago.

And who is the Red Riding hood ?

Kingfisher99 the information you have put up on BD is partial and amounts to disinformation. According to the Transparency International report on CIP results the list does not stop at Bangladesh as you have stated. This is how the report ends -

147 Bangladesh 2,171.7 - 2.4

147 Kenya 2,171.9 - 2.4

147 Russia 2,181.9 - 2.5

147 Syria 2,151.6 - 2.4

151 Belarus 2,051.6 - 2.5

151 Central African Republic 2,051.9 - 2.2

151 Côte d´Ivoire 2,061.7 - 2.5

151 Ecuador 2,051.8 - 2.2

151 Laos 2,061.6 - 2.3

151 Papua New Guinea 2,061.6 - 2.3

151 Taijikistan 2,081.7 - 2.3

158 Angola 1,961.5 - 2.2

158 Azerbaijan 1,981.7 - 2.1

158 Burundi 1,961.5 - 2.3

158 Congo, Republic 1,961.8 - 2.0

158 Gambia 1,951.5 - 2.4

158 Guinea-Bissau 1,931.8 - 2.0

158 Sierra Leone 1,951.8 - 2.0

158 Venezuela 1,971.8 - 2.0

166 Cambodia 1,871.7 - 1.9

166 Kyrgyzstan 1,871.7 - 1.9

166 Turkmenistan 1,851.5 - 2.2

166 Uzbekistan 1,881.5 - 2.2

166 Zimbabwe 1,871.5 - 2.1

171 Congo, Democratic Republic 1,761.6 - 1.9

171 Equatorial Guinea 1,741.5 - 1.8

173 Chad 1,661.5 - 1.7

173 Guinea 1,661.3 - 1.9

173 Sudan 1,661.5 - 1.7

176 Afghanistan 1,541.1 - 1.6

177 Haiti 1,441.1 - 1.7

178 Iraq 1,341.1 - 1.6

178 Myanmar 1,341.0 - 1.5

180 Somalia 1,04.5 - 1.4

Clearly Bangladesh is not the most corrupt nation in the world.

I have no hesitation now to describe you as a fraud and a RAW propagandist. You clearly have no shame and are dishonest to the core.

"Your poor are poorer than my poor." :what:

This would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

well thanks for the reply .well i have never accused bd of being the most corrupt nation in the world .just wanted to show you where you stood.i doest not take a genius to know there are 180+ countries in the world .all above reports are transparent from reliable sources and for all to verify.seems you dont know how to refute those reports hence you come out with the most weird arguments remind me of our politicians :) as far the the report you published about india no arguments agree and we need to find a solution to that and no i would not accuse you of being a bd agent for posting it.

You are still deceitful. Your comments do not change that you tried to pull a fast one. Actually India has more poor who are in fact poorer than the Bangladehi poor. In fact the whole population of BD does not cover the number of poor in India. Shame Shame!!!! :taz: :disagree: :bounce: :tsk: :wave:

You are still deceitful. Your comments do not change that you tried to pull a fast one. Actually India has more poor who are in fact poorer than the Bangladehi poor. In fact the whole population of BD does not cover the number of poor in India. Shame Shame!!!! :taz: :disagree: :bounce: :tsk: :wave:

Read your own post first 84 before we discuss further about Cookie Jar and back to your title topic.

Paper no. 2778

23-July-2008

BANGLADESH: VISIT OF INDIAN ARMY CHIEF SIGNIFICANT

By Dr. Subhash Kapila

This Paper may be read in continuation with the Author’s earlier Paper: “Bangladesh – India Strategic Partnership: The Imperatives” (SAAG Paper No. 2765 dated 11 July 2008).

Introductory Observations

General Deepak Kapoor Chief of Army Staff, Indian Army is scheduled to visit Bangladesh from July 28, 2008 on a three day visit. All Indian Army Chiefs routinely visit a number of foreign countries once during their tenure of office as part of high-level military-to-military contacts supplementing other Indian foreign policy initiatives.

The visit of the Indian Army Chief to Bangladesh comes at a significantly opportune time when trust between the militaries of the two nations holds the possibilities of being successfully forged. Military-to-military trust is an essential pre-requisite for reinforcing diplomatic relations.

Some important perspectives that need to be taken into account in relation to the visit of Indian Army Chief to Bangladesh are discussed as follows:

* Significance of Indian Army Chief’s Visit to Bangladesh
* Indian Army Chief’s Visit: The Prevailing Contextual Backdrop in Bangladesh
* Bangladesh Army Chief’s and Bangladesh Army’s Centrality in Bangladesh
* The Priority Strategic Focus for Indian Army Chief’s Visit to Bangladesh

Significance of Indian Army Chief’s Visit to Bangladesh

The visit of General Deepak Kapoor, Indian Army Chief to Bangladesh this month-end assumes significance for the following reasons: (1) The present Indian Army Chief’s visit to Bangladesh comes after a long gap of seven years. The last visit to Bangladesh by an Indian Army Chief was in 2001 (2) A prompt return visit by the Indian Army Chief to Dhaka following the visit of Bangladesh Army Chief, General Moeen U Ahmed to India in February 2008 indicates the significance that India is investing in building a substantive relationship with Bangladesh (3) Preceding the Indian Army Chief’s visit to Dhaka were the joint discussions between the Foreign Secretaries of India and Bangladesh. Focus of discussions was on how both countries can cooperate in joint tackling of terrorism threats (4) Succeeding the visit of the Indian Army Chief would be joint discussions between the Home Secretaries of India and Bangladesh to sort out issues of border incidents and infiltration.

Against the above backdrop what emerges significantly is that the Indian Army Chief would not be overly burdened to discuss contentious issues with the Bangladesh Army Chief.

General Deepak Kapoor could then be left free to discuss, explore and suggest newer and deeper initiatives to further the “ushering in a new era of close cooperation” in Bangladesh-India military cooperation as was highlighted by the Bangladesh Army Chief during his visit to India in February, 2008.

Indian Army Chief’s Visit: The Prevailing Contextual Backdrop in Bangladesh

India’s flurry of high-level discussions with Bangladesh including the visit of the Indian Army Chief to Dhaka needs to take into account the prevailing contextual backdrop in Bangladesh.

Bangladesh for more than a year and half is being governed by a Caretaker Government with the solid backing of the Bangladesh Army Chief and the Bangladesh Army.

Bangladesh in the preceding period was being governed by a BNP-JEI Coalition Government led by Prime Minister Khaleda Zia of the BNP. It needs to be recalled that the JEI is an Islamist fundamentalist organization which in 1971 was opposed to the liberation of Bangladesh. Under the BNP-JEI regime a creeping Talibanization of Bangladesh was underway including giving a free hand to Pakistan’s ISI to use Bangladesh as a springboard for Islamist terrorism against India.

India-bashing consequently had become a favorite past-time and a political tool in Bangladesh’s heated domestic politics resulting in myopic and distorted misinterpretations of India’s well-intentioned initiatives towards Bangladesh.

The advent of the Caretaker Government backed by the Bangladesh Army Chief has led to the cleaning up of the political mess, widespread corruption and the prominence to Islamist activities in Bangladesh under pressure from the JEI.

More importantly, the advent of the Caretaker Government in Bangladesh has led to more nuanced policy approaches towards India. The flurry of high-level bilateral exchanges between Bangladesh-India in recent times are a pointed indicator of this emerging trend. It signals the emergence in Bangladesh a trendto craft its relationship with India based on strategic realities rather than Pan-Islamism.

Significantly, therefore, when the Indian Army Chief visits Dhaka in July 2008 the prevailing contextual background in Dhaka would be characterized by a greater positivity in Bangladesh’s approaches to India as opposed to the uneasy relationship of the earlier regimes.

Bangladesh’s political parties like the BNP and JEI can be expected to voice opposition to the Caretaker Government’s policy initiatives towards India as a strategic sell -out but what should not be overlooked is the centrality of the Bangladesh Army Chief and the Bangladesh Army in Bangladesh’s policy establishment and governance.

Bangladesh Army Chief’s and Bangladesh Army’s Centrality in Bangladesh

India’s policy establishment needs to factor-in in its strategic and political calculus the centrality of the Bangladesh Army Chief and the Bangladesh Army in Bangladesh’s policy establishment and governance.

This factor has been deliberately brought into discussion here in that prior to the Bangladesh Army Chief’s visit to India in February 2008, India’s High Commissioner in Dhaka is reported to have characterized it a purely “military-to-military” contact.

This is a disappointing observation which under-emphasizes the centrality of the Bangladesh Army Chief and the Bangladesh Army in the scheme of things in Bangladesh.

Let us fist take General Moeen U Ahmed’s profile and his policy attitudes towards India. The Bangladesh Army Chief studied in his childhood in Pakistan, trained in the Pakistan Military Academy and served in the Pakistan Army. Later on after liberation of Bangladesh he was Bangladesh’s Defence Adviser with the Bangladesh diplomatic mission in Islamabad. He has his contemporaries in the Pakistan Army.

With such a backdrop he naturally should have been another pro- Pakistan element in the Bangladesh power elite. That the Bangladesh Army Chief could have broken out from such an expected mould speaks of his realistic strategic vision that India cannot be ignored in Bangladesh’s strategic calculus and that good Bangladesh-India relations are essential for Bangladesh’s stability.

Coming to the Bangladesh Army, one central fact that all India policy planners should not forget is that unlike the Pakistan Army, the Bangladesh Army whose nucleus was provided by the Bengali elements of the then Pakistan Army present in then East Bengal along with the Mukti Bahini “fought and battled for the liberation of Bangladesh”.

Like the Chinese PLA, the Bangladesh Army is widely perceived as a “Liberation Army”. Further the Bangladesh Army has been actively involved in safeguarding the integrity of Bangladesh and also in alleviating the national distress in the innumerable natural disasters that have inflicted Bangladesh.

The Indian High Commissioner was therefore wrong in describing the Bangladesh Army Chief’s visit to India as a purely “military-to-military contact”. If that was so then why were his calls arranged on India’s entire galaxy of political leadership. Also, why his discussions with India’s trade setup including meetings with Shri Jairam Ramesh.

India’s Army Chief would be well advised to factor in the centrality of the Bangladesh Army Chief and the Bangladesh Army in Bangladesh power calculus even though his policy brief from the Indian Government is likely to be restricted to military issues.

The Priority Strategic Focus for Indian Army Chief’s Visit to Bangladesh

The Indian Army’s steps for enlargement of military engagement with Bangladesh Army stands spelt out in this Author’s Paper referred above. One is sure that the measures suggested in the said Paper would receive active consideration in discussions between the two Army Chiefs.

However, what requires emphasis is that the Indian Army Chief’s strategic focus should be in exploring as to how India’s military postures in the Siliguri Corridor and the North Eastern States are not degraded or compromised by Bangladesh Army’s acts of omission or commission. That should be the larger vision that should be addressed during his exchanges with the Bangladesh Army Chief during his forthcoming visit.

Concluding Observations

This Paper cannot be more aptly concluded than by once more repeating the Concluding Observations of the earlier Paper.

“Bangladesh-India Strategic Partnership is an idea and a strategic imperative whose time has come to implement by both countries.

In South Asia, in terms of relative stability Bangladesh offers more promise than Pakistan. Bangladesh therefore deserves a higher priority attention than Pakistan in terms of strategic and political effort by India's policy establishment, diplomats and the strategic community.

India’s efforts and initiatives to work towards a Bangladesh-India Strategic Partnership should not be allowed to be misread in Bangladesh as an Indian effort to convert Bangladesh into an Indian satellite State.

India’s political history of the last 60 years does not provide any indicators to such Indian inclinations anywhere in South Asia, least of all Bangladesh, where its war of liberation itself was a strategic partnership between Bangladesh liberation stalwarts and the Indian nation state.”

India’s genuine respect for a strategic partnership was reflected in that the document of surrender that the Pakistan Army was made to sign in Dhaka in December 1971 reflected significantly that the Pakistan Army was surrendering to the “Join India-Bangladesh Command”. It eloquently underscored that India believed in “jointness” with Bangladesh.

In the spirit of the above one should hope that both the Bangladesh Army Chief and the Indian Army Chief during their discussions at this month’s end would be able to lay the foundations of a substantive “Bangladesh-India Strategic Partnership” in the strategic and political interests of both countries.

(The author is an International Relations and Strategic Affairs analyst. He is the Consultant, Strategic Affairs with South Asia Analysis Group. Email:drsubhashkapila@yahoo.com)
:angel:

Yes we knew it was significant. What is the point of putting it up now? The BD Army Chief has now visited Pakistan, South Korea and Saudi Arabia which are also all very important visits. Discuss those.

Back
Top Bottom