What's new

Delhi airport’s top dog calls it a day

Abingdonboy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
45376c2f-3b88-46da-b5eb-3b1873ff2177hires.jpg

In a few days, the curtain will come down on an illustrious 10-year career. As officers gather to toast him, the senior-most member of a team entrusted with your safety at Indira Gandhi International Airport will walk away — with a wag of his tail.

Amar, a black Labrador, was the first sniffer dog at Delhi’s IGI airport. HT Photo
It could all have panned out differently for Amar, a black Labrador. If he had joined the army, he might have won commendations from Generals. Or fate could have let him grow to portliness as a domestic pet.

But he was destined to make history. He was just one year old in 2003 when he became the first dog in airport security in Delhi. Over the next decade he did his job well enough to inspire his employers, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), to expand the team to 15 — all but one of them Labradors like himself.

It has been an intense decade at the airport, with cases of unclaimed baggage reported almost every hour, and bomb hoaxes keeping a stretched security apparatus perennially on alert.

"We used to depend on him whenever we got a bomb call. We never touched an unclaimed piece of baggage without Amar or the other dogs sniffing it first. Amar's track record has been superb. If he gave a negative signal, it was almost 80% certain that there was no threat," said a senior CISF official.

There was compensation for his labours. A four-hour shift earned him a generous 24 hours off. He also got a weekly holiday, often spent playing dog sports at a facility in Mahipalpur.

Retired bliss, in the form of meals of chicken and an adoring caretaker, beckons.

The final decision rests with the CISF board but officials say they are likely to give Amar's custody to his handler. As per the rules, Amar will be auctioned off and the handler will have to pay to buy him. "Since the handler is from the same force and is emotionally attached to Amar, we will give him a discount," said the official.

"Amar loves chicken so we have decided we will bear the cost of his food as a post-retirement benefit," he added.

A send-off is planned, with senior officials in attendance. And then the dog with the expert sniff will walk off into the sunset, snout held high

Delhi airport

Must be very well trained!

Yeah he is . He is always alert .At first few days i had troubles like whenever a weird walks past the house he used to jump through the wall and chase him lol.

He is great i just love him . he is sleeping in bed near me now.

I have a tuxedo lab and another small boutique dog that is my wife's . I used to have an Australian Shepherd but she died after 12 years. One acre of fenced in property helps ...

Aaggrhh....just reminded me of my 10 year old lab which died last year in September after his long fight with congestive heart failure. :'(

Aaggrhh....just reminded me of my 10 year old lab which died last year in September after his long fight with congestive heart failure. :'(

awww, it is very painful when that happens. that is pretty young for them. heart medicine is something they need from a young age. they get heart worms easily...

awww, it is very painful when that happens. that is pretty young for them. heart medicine is something they need from a young age. they get heart worms easily...

I don't want any dog to suffer from CHF. Heart problems are quite common to labs as they gain weight easily. Still remember burying him with my own hands. :/ Old age sucks for everyone!

I had purchased a brown labrador from Railway Action Force in my local i paid 25000 as there were no other auctioners he is a good company till now.

It will cost you upto Rs. 40000 to get a Labrador puppy in Haryana anytime. Too many people breeding these foreign breed in there back yards. It's not even funny.

I'm a big Malamute fan, can anyone sell me one of them?

Siberian husky is the original breed with 90% wolf character .

I am looking to buy this too . hope my friend in russia sends it soon with a blue eyed black with white
Siberian_Husky_blue_eyes_Flickr.jpg

It will cost you upto Rs. 40000 to get a Labrador puppy in Haryana anytime. Too many people breeding these foreign breed in there back yards. It's not even funny.

Its cheap in tamilnadu . The highest price you can pay for a dog pure breed is around 35000 . since lot of them are available. Ill usually get labador and german shepard for free since this one is trained by RPF i paid 25K

Back
Top Bottom