What's new

Defying China, Obama to meet Dalai Lama

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Defying China, Obama to meet Dalai Lama

WASHINGTON: The White House said on Tuesday that President Barack Obama will meet with the Dalai Lama, firmly rejecting Chinese pressure to snub him as rows escalate between the Pacific powers.

Days after defying Beijing with a 6.4 billion-dollar weapons package for Taiwan, the White House also stood firm on US calls for China to address human rights concerns in Tibet.

"The president told China leaders during his trip last year that he would meet with the Dalai Lama, and he intends to do so," White House spokesman Bill Burton told reporters.

"The Dalai Lama is an internationally respected religious and cultural leader, and the president will meet with him in that capacity," he said on Air Force One as Obama made a day trip to New Hampshire.

He did not give a date, but the Dalai Lama is due in the United States later this month for public teachings in California and Florida.

"We'll announce a date as it comes closer," Burton said.

Obama has sought wide-ranging ties with the rising Asian power on issues from the global economy to North Korea. Burton said Obama remained committed to "building a positive, comprehensive and cooperative relationship with China."

Obama in October avoided meeting the Dalai Lama when the monk visited Washington. The move was controversial at home, but the White House said Obama did not want to sour ties with Beijing before his maiden visit a month later.

But officials and experts said it was only a matter of time before Obama agreed to meet the Dalai Lama and to provide weapons to Taiwan, as is required under US law.

Washington last week approved a package of Patriot missiles, Black Hawk helicopters and other military hardware totalling 6.4 billion dollars for Taiwan, which China views as part of its territory awaiting reunification.

The Dalai Lama, who has built a strong global following since fleeing into exile in India in 1959, says he is seeking greater rights for Tibetans within Chinese rule, but Beijing accuses him of separatism.

The United States considers both Taiwan, where the mainland's defeated nationalists fled in 1949, and Tibet, where Beijing sent troops in 1950, to be part of China.

"To be clear, the US considers Tibet to be a part of China," Burton said.

But he added: "We have human rights concerns about the treatment of Tibetans. We urge the government of China to protect the unique cultural and religious traditions of Tibet."

Hours earlier, China said that a meeting between Obama and the Dalai Lama would "seriously undermine the political foundation of Sino-US relations."

"If the US leader chooses to meet with the Dalai Lama at this time, it will certainly threaten trust and cooperation between China and the United States," said Zhu Weiqun, executive vice minister of the Communist Party body that handles contact with the Dalai Lama.

"We oppose any attempt by foreign forces to interfere in China's internal affairs using the Dalai Lama as an excuse," he added.

Zhu's comments followed another round of talks between Chinese officials and envoys of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader - the ninth since 2002 and the first in more than a year.

Beijing said the talks yielded no progress. Some Tibet activists argue that Beijing is simply biding time with the talks, which the United States has praised, as it waits for the 74-year-old Dalai Lama to die.

Kelsang Gyaltsen and Lodi Gyari, who held the talks in Beijing, said they urged China in the talks to end "baseless accusations against His Holiness and labelling him a separatist."

"Instead, we urged the Chinese leadership to work with him to find a mutually acceptable solution to the Tibetan problem," they said in a statement. - AFP

channelnewsasia.com - Defying China, Obama to meet Dalai Lama

Its funny because they tried the same thing with India for years and it didn't work :lol:

But now as if it worked they trying to do the same thing with bigger US, :lol:

the diplomatic protest is showing to the domestic people just like president's meeting that political lama.

I really wouldn't sweat it. As long as Dalai is alive he will get some petting from his masters. After all that a$$clown is still a fun tool to use to badmouth China, but I see no real damage from it unless he uses the CIA's help to start another riot. It is China's job to stop such sabortage act, and if we cannot do it then it simply means we suck.

The diplomatic protest is of course mandatory, and Dalai will get his speech money and share of Vegas hookers, and Obama will get his "human rights" kudos. Meanwhile, businesses move on.

Sure. We Chinese people just cannot stop a slave to see his slave master.

SANCTIONS INCOMING

GET DOWN GET DOWN.

this reminds me somehow of the "hangover" movie sound track Flo Rida song. "You spin my head right round right round when ya go down when ya go down down..."

Good to see that Dalai is doing an excellent job pleasuring his masters.

this reminds me somehow of the "hangover" movie sound track Flo Rida song. "You spin my head right round right round when ya go down when ya go down down..."

Good to see that Dalai is doing an excellent job pleasuring his masters.

I LOVE THAT SONG

:D :cheesy:

I used to play it over and over again then i totally forgot about it all of a sudden xD gonna listen to it right now :D

I really wouldn't sweat it. As long as Dalai is alive he will get some petting from his masters. After all that a$$clown is still a fun tool to use to badmouth China, but I see no real damage from it unless he uses the CIA's help to start another riot. It is China's job to stop such sabortage act, and if we cannot do it then it simply means we suck.

The diplomatic protest is of course mandatory, and Dalai will get his speech money and share of Vegas hookers, and Obama will get his "human rights" kudos. Meanwhile, businesses move on.

pardon my lack of knowledge...but isn't the Dalai Lama very very moderate in his views regarding Tibet off-late?
I am yet to come across any video garb of him bad-mouthing china...

@conworldus.

No, Dala is the slave master, but that black guy is the slave.

@paritosh, have you ever saw Dala following Chairman Mao and looked like a very humble student? If not, please do some search on some web site such as Google. (BTW, this is also test to see how much freedom that western media is). If yes, can you tell me how come Dala would be with Chairman Mao? Isn't Chairman Mao be the evil man painted million times by the western media?

It's nothing to worry about,Dalai Lama have to worried about is whether he can live under the supervision of the cruise missiles of china. China is now face with many threats from the traitors within,we need to punish all of them! In this regard, the Iranian people have given us an good example by.
I think we should expel Monsanto co. out from China forever. it is just the accomplices which were used by U.S. politicians to subvert China , they used genetically modified food to conquer many country's future, and which was what a horrible plot to the world!!!!!!

It's nothing to worry about,Dalai Lama have to worried about is whether he can live under the supervision of the cruise missiles of china. China is now face with many threats from the traitors within,we need to punish all of them! In this regard, the Iranian people have given us an good example by.
I think we should expel Monsanto co. out from China forever. it is just the accomplices which were used by U.S. politicians to subvert China , they used genetically modified food to conquer many country's future, and which was what a horrible plot to the world!!!!!!

I would not want to waste a million dollar cruise missile on someone as disgusting as Dalai. He will rot in his own BS, which won't cost us a cent.

Dalai~~~
He is just another "weapon" used against China by the US.
Nothing more, his situation is far worse than Taiwan...
At least Taiwan has a practically independent government.

In the future, global resources occupation is the goal.
To a government, resources is far more important than anything else.
which includes its economy.
and by the time, a nation sacrificing its economy for resources, that also means war though.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom