What's new

DefenseIndia building reactors for nuclear submarines

Its already undergoing HATs, so there is no question of that without reactor. No one go for trial of their first submarine without reactor in it. So stop making imaginary comments.

Trials to follow

Jul 27, 2009

DRDO officials cautioned that while INS Arihant entering water from the dry-dock in the Ship-Building Centre of the Visakhatpatnam harbour on Sunday was an important step forward, making the boat operational would take time. “The submarine will now go for harbour acceptance trials (HATs). Then it will go for sea acceptance trials (SATs). Later it will go down to a certain depth and come up,” they said.

A nuclear-powered submarine was a highly complex platform and safety regulations had to be adhered to. “There are hundreds of systems on the boat. They have to work one after another. This is called setting-to-work. The HATs and SATs will last about a year-and-a-half. This is the most difficult period of activity and you have to do it perfectly. Then the K-15 missiles will be fitted into the boat.”

M. Natarajan, Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, was present when the INS Arihant was launched on Sunday.

The project has been named the “Advanced Technology Vessel” (ATV) programme. Vice-Admiral (retired) D.S.P. Varma is the Director-General of the ATV programme.

Its already undergoing HATs, so there is no question of that without reactor. No one go for trial of their first submarine without reactor in it. So stop making imaginary comments.

The submarine will now go for harbour acceptance trials (HATs). Then it will go for sea acceptance trials (SATs). Later it will go down to a certain depth and come up,” they said.

No where does it says HATs/SATs have started, or reactor has been integrated. While it is reported that reactor was to be started sometime this year (2010) and considering it is Indian project, we can safely assume it is without reactor till now!

Home-made nuke sub INS Arihant to be inducted in 2 years - India - The Times of India
But there is still a long way to go. It's only after its miniature 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor is `fired' sometime next year will INS Arihant begin its extensive sea-acceptance trials.

Russia or any other country cannot provide reactor for submarine/carrier.

I AGREE WITH YOU SIR.
NO COUNTRY WILL PROVIDE THIS IMPORTANT TECHNOLOGY.

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.INS ARIHANT IS 1ST GENERATION NUCLEAR SUBMARINE WHILE USA HAS 4TH GEN. N-SUBMARINE. ALSO CHINA IS DEVELOPING 4TH GEN. N-SUBMARINE.
WE MUST STRUGGLE HARD.

I think they are talking about more reactors that is to be fitted in other nuclear submarines.

As at the time of Arihant's launch they have 2 submarine hull for same class of submarines ready at Hazira plant of L&T.

Back
Top Bottom