What's new

Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) clears projects worth about Rs. 80,000 crore

WTF is happening to the M777 howitzer deal? We need these on priority, but there's no mention of this.

3807613952_d6f5311bbf.jpg

WTF is happening to the M777 howitzer deal? We need these on priority, but there's no mention of this.

For all practical purposes, this deal has been stopped.
Now guns will be sourced from Indian companies.

So as it stands (more details awaited):

-321 Spike ATGM Launchers and 8,000+ Missiles (including relevant training apparatus)- GREAT news, very much needed for years now.
-363 APCs, supposedly from OFB, no exact details on the model but I assume the MPV- pretty disappointing because I'd have hoped they go for a newer and more capable product from an Indian private firm like Tata or Mahindra.
-Mini Subs for MARCOs- good stuff.
-12 Do-228 for the IN, a welcome boost for the IN's MPA fleet. I wonder if these are Do-228NG a/c.
-6 new SSKs under the P-75(I) project for which the RFP has been released. Many are assuming that this news out of the DAC means the subs will be built imminently- this is false, this is still the early stages of the selection process. At best we are 2-3 years away from a winner emerging so about 6+ years away from the first sub entering service with the IN. Welcome news because action- any action- was needed on this front. Would have been pretty pleased had the MoD also extended the current Scorpene order to 9 or taken the French up on their offer to build new SSKs on a fast track basis.

Still, in only their 5th month in office the new GoI is doing a pretty decent job on the procurement front, I don't remember DACs meeting this often (seems to be once a month right now) under the UPA and certainly weren't clearing deals at this rate.

There are still many large deals on the table though:

-Rafale
-CH-47F
-AH-64E
-A330 MRTT
-2 follow-on A-50EI PHALCONS

Interestingly all of the above are for the IAF, but it does seem the list of pending deals is getting smaller and smaller as time goes by- one way or another.

I think we've already canceled this deal because of the cost Issue, Or we're playing them to reduce the cost ???!!

I agree it is needed ASAP, but due to one reason or another (somewhere between the cost escalation and failure of BAE to meet certain offset requirements) this deal is likely to be dead.

M777 cancelled

not needed now we have own domestic systems

Bharat Forge Ultra light howitzer in the same M777 class will be up for trials in next 3-4 months

+

Dhanush
Arjun Catapult

+

ATAGS - DRDO developing

+
Tata L&T BharatForge etc have developed own Howitzer guns in various combinations - Towed Truck Mounted Track mounted

now what we need is orders

besides missiles this is another area where we will soon be import free

It would include ToT charge also.

Its a crazy price for something that is going to be built in India. ToT or not. If we assume each Mini Submarine coast 100 million $ even then the cost of 6 Submarines come to 1.2 BILLION$.

Stop trolling

Grow a brain. If you cannot, then stop being an arsehole.

-321 Spike ATGM Launchers and 8,000+ Missiles (including relevant training apparatus)- GREAT news, very much needed for years now.
-363 APCs, supposedly from OFB, no exact details on the model but I assume the MPV- pretty disappointing because I'd have hoped they go for a newer and more capable product from an Indian private firm like Tata or Mahindra.
-12 Do-228 for the IN, a welcome boost for the IN's MPA fleet. I wonder if these are Do-228NG a/c.
-6 new SSKs under the P-75(I) project for which the RFP has been released. Many are assuming that this news out of the DAC means the subs will be built imminently- this is false, this is still the early stages of the selection process. At best we are 2-3 years away from a winner emerging so about 6+ years away from the first sub entering service with the IN. Welcome news because action- any action- was needed on this front. Would have been pretty pleased had the MoD also extended the current Scorpene order to 9 or taken the French up on their offer to build new SSKs on a fast track basis.

Still, in only their 5th month in office the new GoI is doing a pretty decent job on the procurement front, I don't remember DACs meeting this often (seems to be once a month right now) under the UPA and certainly weren't clearing deals at this rate.

-Rafale
-CH-47F
-AH-64E
-A330 MRTT

Interestingly all of the above are for the IAF, but it does seem the list of pending deals is getting smaller and smaller as time goes by- one way or another.

Modi govt. is VERY serious about Make in India, so I would not be very sure about those made in foreign maal. There is a good chance of them being dumped.

Its a crazy price for something that is going to be built in India. ToT or not. If we assume each Mini Submarine coast 100 million $ even then the cost of 6 Submarines come to 1.2 BILLION$.

Grow a brain. If you cannot, then stop being an arsehole.
Its happen only in India :enjoy:
Check Scorpene deal

IAF got nothing.... maybe in December Apache, Ch-57 and Rafale will be gifted to IAF???!!!

-Rafale
-CH-47F
-AH-64E
-A330 MRTT

Agreed. With each & every aquisition, 3 services will rapidly increase its capabilities. Der Aaye, Durust Aaye.
We have lost a dacade, its time to catch up rapidly.

Huh, so SPIKE it is for Indian Army...I wanted it to be Javelin, but then SPIKE is pretty much at the same level of
technology and also comes with greater autonomy & ToT, so makes sense.

spike.jpg

f_f9dd645168.jpg

spike_er.jpg

Modi govt. is VERY serious about Make in India, so I would not be very sure about those made in foreign maal. There is a good chance of them being dumped.
No chance whatsoever. a) the Rafales (apart from the initial 18) WILL be built in India (just like P-75(I) that the DAC has cleared today). b) more importantly, there are ZERO Indian firms making equipment up to the standards of the CH-47F, AH-64E, PHALCON AWACS and A330 MRTT.

Modi is serious about "make in India" but he is not stupid, he's not about to cut off his nose to spite his face. He knows that to have a strong Indian military, India needs to buy certain equipment from abroad. That is just a reality right now, the situation may be different in a decade or so but not in the immediate future.

I have no doubt all of the above will be cleared this finical year.

It could be cost of subs with all kinds of missiles, API and new gizmos ......... its wait and watch mode. For now, the cost seems exorbitant.
Yes it includes all armament may be but I predict more cost increase if things go in old way.

Back
Top Bottom