What's new

Dear Engineers, Can I sue my university?

May be he should "donate" money to right person and it will be resolved to his satisfaction.

Dude. WTF? I had my share of backlogs in engineering but my university always considers the highest marks you secured in that subject (Be it the 1st,2nd, 3rd etc).

You can approach the courts and let me tell you, you have more than a fair chance of getting a ruling in your favor.

They said rules changed two years back in my university. Chaayala abhi hona thaa rule change! Mere time pe nahi ho sakta thaa! This is what happens with newly established inexperienced universities. Initial batches suffer.

Dear Moderators and Dear Admin,

I am really sorry to start a third thread with almost identical content. I would have made the changes in original thread itself but you know that neither the title nor the post can be edited now. The previous ones were confusing and didn’t convey the question. I am also sorry for discussing India-centric issue but I really want to share my experience. I will delete the thread once I get my answer.

Dear engineers, Can I protest against my university and also write to HRD ministry? Please kindly and patiently read this whole stuff and respond to the question properly. Please don’t stop even if you find it tedious and boring.

Till 4th semester I was enthusiastic about studies. In 5th semester, something happened which paralyzed me into inaction.

1st semester result: All subjects passed in first attempt

2nd semester result: One backlog (failed arrear) subject

3rd semester result: All subjects passed despite tough question papers when most of the class failed in atleast one

4th semester result: Few backlog (failed arrear) subjects but I was enthusiastic nevertheless

In 5th semester, I came to know something which devastated me. I was so demoralized and panicked that I started bunking exams. Psychologically the incident affected me so much that I took eight more years to complete REMAINING two years of the course. The issue is not the grades but the psychological effect and the consequential loss of years [almost a decade in addition to regular initial 2yrs (2+8=10)]. There were other factors which exacerbated the situation. Detailed elaboration is required here. But bombarding with details could confuse the first-time reader. For time being, get acquainted with the crux of the complaint.

So what happened in 5th semester? Someone told me the rule that if you fail and have backlog subject, whatever be passing attempt score, for grand total sum and percentage calculation, first attempt marks is considered. Suppose a student fails in three subjects by scoring 25, 31 and 26 and later passes those subjects by scoring 45, 50 and 37, then for grand total sum and percentage calculation, 25, 31 and 26 are again used and not 45, 50 and 37. That way one can score zero marks and percentage and yet become BE/BTech graduate. I am an Engineering degree holder despite my score being just 34%.

Is the above rule (usage of first attempt score for everything in my university) a deviant exception in India or is it a normal practice everywhere? Is my thinking correct if I accuse my university of maladministration? If I complain to AICTE, will my complaint be valid?

It has become human rights issue because my basic economic security is in danger. As I said before, it’s about loss of years and aging and NOT about marks/percentage or field of profession. Had the rule been different or if they had revealed this before admission, I might not have scored any better but I would have finished the degree earlier, say 5-6 or even 4 years. Then I would have had freedom and peace of mind to focus on bank clerical exams, railway clerical exams or school teacher’s exams. Now I am left in lurch.

This is just stupid and I haven't heard of this before. Usually when a student fails for a paper and later clears it , the marks scored for the cleared attempt is considered. Its a problem with your university man, get to a lawyer. Is your Uni a deemed one or state Gov owned one?

They said rules changed two years back in my university. Chaayala abhi hona thaa rule change! Mere time pe nahi ho sakta thaa! This is what happens with newly established inexperienced universities. Initial batches suffer.

@jbgt90

Now that I have clarified the query by re-drafting (see first post of this thread), what is your opinion about my complaint?

I am really sorry to start a third thread with almost identical content. I would have made the changes in original thread itself but you know that neither the title nor the post can be edited now. The previous ones were confusing and didn’t convey the question. I am also sorry for discussing India-centric issue but I really want to share my experience. I will delete the thread once I get my answer.

Dear engineers, Can I protest against my university and also write to HRD ministry? Please kindly and patiently read this whole stuff and respond to the question properly. Please don’t stop even if you find it tedious and boring.

Till 4th semester I was enthusiastic about studies. In 5th semester, something happened which paralyzed me into inaction.

3rd semester result: All subjects passed despite tough question papers when most of the class failed in atleast one

4th semester result: Few backlog (failed arrear) subjects but I was enthusiastic nevertheless

In 5th semester, I came to know something which devastated me. I was so demoralized and panicked that I started bunking exams. Psychologically the incident affected me so much that I took eight more years to complete REMAINING two years of the course. The issue is not the grades but the psychological effect and the consequential loss of years [almost a decade in addition to regular initial 2yrs (2+8=10)]. There were other factors which exacerbated the situation. Detailed elaboration is required here. But bombarding with details could confuse the first-time reader. For time being, get acquainted with the crux of the complaint.

So what happened in 5th semester? Someone told me the rule that if you fail and have backlog subject, whatever be passing attempt score, for grand total sum and percentage calculation, first attempt marks is considered. Suppose a student fails in three subjects by scoring 25, 31 and 26 and later passes those subjects by scoring 45, 50 and 37, then for grand total sum and percentage calculation, 25, 31 and 26 are again used and not 45, 50 and 37. That way one can score zero marks and percentage and yet become BE/BTech graduate. I am an Engineering degree holder despite my score being just 34%.

Is the above rule (usage of first attempt score for everything in my university) a deviant exception in India or is it a normal practice everywhere? Is my thinking correct if I accuse my university of maladministration? If I complain to AICTE, will my complaint be valid?

It has become human rights issue because my basic economic security is in danger. As I said before, it’s about loss of years and aging and NOT about marks/percentage or field of profession. Had the rule been different or if they had revealed this before admission, I might not have scored any better but I would have finished the degree earlier, say 5-6 or even 4 years. Then I would have had freedom and peace of mind to focus on bank clerical exams, railway clerical exams or school teacher’s exams. Now I am left in lurch.
@fitpOsitive

Go to your local member of Lok Sabhya perhaps they could put in a word for you.Kudos young fellow

Before you go all guns blazing, you have bigger problems to deal with...

1. Did you try getting a provisional transcript? What does it say? How does it calculate your percentage? I mean did you try to verify that the so called rule is indeed the rule?

2. Did you know, its not the freaken percentage but also the fact that you have/had arrears will become a bigger headache? Some employers balk at those who had arrears.

3. Did you know, that you can find a Grade Point average instead of percentage by consulting an internationally recognized organization like WES? Many folks who apply to foreign universities face this dillema of comparing their performance with other folks from a different university. So, they get these certificates which approximate their grade points. If everyone in your cohort and historically in your university is doing crap then your grade point avarage will not be crap. It is a tough university thats all. Happens a lot in Mumbai university.

4. Did you know that university degree only gets you your first job? After that it is all networking and your skills and work experience?

5. Did you know you can overcome the disadvantage of a effed-up bachelors by doing a masters?

Such things happen in life. Leave the university as it is, because fighting will further waste your time.
You were doing PHd right? What happened to that? If you are still doing it, complete it at earliest(take your supervisor in confidence). Then do what most of the guys from subcontinent do. Save your time. Save your family. Both are precious.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear of your situation. I wish you good luck. I know competition is very tough now in this new economy.

Attention seeking threads. He can ask any person in his collage, his Deans or anyone.

His eco chamber, bharatmuslim comes with Job related issue. This guy tags every person. Glad he didn't tag mods

since he posted of it back in 2015!
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom