What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
its rafel- selex
& mig35- ibris-2 they only have some what called pre-operational aesa.

Does Gripen NG has an operational AESA ,

No, it's in development only.

MMRCA AESA radars:

- F18SH (APG 79), ready and operational
- F16IN (APG 80), ready and operational
- Rafale (RBE 2 AA), ready, serial production about to start, operational from 2012 onwards
- Mig 35 (Zhuk AE), small version with around 700 T/R modules ready, bigger version under development, serial production depends on orders
- Gripen E/F (ES-05 Raven), pre version expected by mid 2011, serial production depends on orders
- EF T3 (CAPTOR - E), pre version ready only by 2013, serial production by 2015

^^^^^^^^^

Given the Fact that Gripen totally messed up by not having a proper prototype sent to the trials.

The only real players left are the

F18SH and Rafale.

And given the choice between those two , F-18SH may take the cake.
I would prefer the Rafale ,
but the F-18's are more cost effective(we could get an LCA for every SH we get as opposed to a Rafale which is 30 million dollars more expensive) ,
smarter politically(Indo-US ties weigh more than Indo-French) ,
On time delivery with no cost escalations ,
Fit's in with Boeing's greater strategy in India( so more investment from Boeing Into India).

Rafale to its end will give use much better ToT including source code for their AESA radar.

But ToT on the SH still meets the Tender requirements , But does not seem to go over and above as the French has chosen to do.

Last edited:
TOT is Bit over hyped term.

We have 100% TOT of SU-30MKI but we are struggling with LCA!!!!!!

So we should not only order Fighter base on TOT.

Dude su30mki is heavy class and LCA is light weight so we cant use technology used in su30 in LCA project ........we can just make similar copy of MKI noting else

thats why R&D is important

The TOT asked in MKI and the kind of TOT asked in MRCA is different, Prateek once posted the TOT details in this thread not so long ago.

If you go through that you will come to know what TOT we are getting here.

whats the advantage f18 has over f16?

The F-16 is a true multi-role fighter and fares well in both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat. Lockheed Martin claims that some stealth features have been integrated into the F-16 from the F-22 and F-35. Of course this doesn't mean that the F-16 is stealth, but maybe it has a lower RCS. PAF has been operating the F-16 for years and know the aircraft inside out. Of course, this does not mean that the F-16 will not be selected as Chinese acquisition of the Su-30MKK did not deter the IAF from ordering similar Su-30s. Anyway, Lockheed Martin says that the F-16s offered to India are more advanced than the ones supplied to the PAF.

The F-18SH (my pick between the two) is again a multi-role fighter (obviously) and was developed to meet a requirement of the U.S. Navy for a single aircraft that can carry out the roles of carrier group defence as well as strike. The F-18 is adept at both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat. An added bonus for the F-18SH is the Growler variant which will be a valuable asset to any airforce in SEAD missions. However, I am not sure if the Growler is offered to India, but I sure hope it is.

Let's see what combat aircraft the IAF currently have or will have in the near future:
1. Su-30MKI - primarily an air superiority fighter, but can be used in multiple roles.
2. MiG-29 - again primarily an air-superiority fighter.
3. Dassault Mirage - a multi-role fighter, adept at both air-to-air and air-to-ground.
4. MiG-21 - the old soviet interceptor, but has been upgraded several times and is now capable of multiple roles.
5. Tejas - set to replace the MiG-21 and expected to get IOC in December. But Tejas is just to fill a shortage in fighter squadrons and will most probably be used for point defence.
6. Jaguar - strike aircraft.
7. MiG-27 - strike aircraft.

Forget about the MiG-29, Mirage, MiG-21, Jaguar and MiG-27. They are quite old (especially the last three) and will soon be phased out. So that leaves us with...

1. Su-30MKI - air superiority
2. Tejas - point defence

So now we see that the IAF lacks strike aircraft.

THE COMPARISON:

1. From the above analysis, my bet is an aircraft's strike capability will be given prime importance in the MRCA competition. Here, the F-18SH can offer much more than the F-16 and is often called a "bomb truck". Score one for the super bug!!!

2. The F-18 is a twin-engined fighter, but can fly on a single engine in case one experiences engine failure or similar engine trouble. The F-16 of course is single engined. So I guess this gives the F-18SH a definite advantage in survivability. Another point for the F-18!

3. The F-18SH is carrier capable, so it is built to handle the stresses of carrier operations. So it will most probabily be much more sturdier than the F-16. Again an advantage for the SH.

4. Another advantage for the Super Hornet is for SEAD missions as I had mentioned above. I am not sure if the Growlers are offered to India, but still it's a bonus for the F-18SH.

5. Now let's look at after sales support. The F-16 is primarily used by the USAF while the F-35 is the mainstay of the US Navy. Both the USAF and the US Navy plan to induct the new F-35. According to wikipedia, the USAF is planning to retire a major part of it's combat fleet of which the F-16 forms quite a large part. As far as I know, the USAF hasn't ordered any new F-16s. So here comes the problem. How long will the F-16 production line be open? Will we have a shortage of spares? Of course this can be resolved if the entire production line is shifted in India as was once offered for the F-5 (if I am not mistaken). But then again, is there the scope for upgrades? Remember that the IAF is not looking for a temporary stopgap, but is expecting to operate the MRCA aircraft for a long time (upto 2040?). The F-18SH on the other hand will be used for a long time even after the F-35 induction as is apparent from the huge recent order. Again, we can rest assured that there will be no dirth of upgrades or spares for the F-18SH.

6. PAF does not operate F-18s whereas they operate F-16s. Though not a definitive factor, it is still a small advantage for the F-18.

7. There have been reports that the F-35 has been offered as replacements in the future if the F-16 is selected for the MRCA contract. However, I highly doubt this will tilt the decision in favour of the F-16, especially since the F-35 is still under development and the IAF need these aircraft fast. Again, I doubt if the US will be willing to offer ToT or production in India for their latest state of the art fighter. However, it would provide commonality with the Indian Navy, if the F-35 is selected for our future carriers. Again, we must ask ourselves whether the IAF really needs the F-35. We will have the PAK FA for air-superiority and possibly the AMCA and AURA (or the winner of the new stealth UCAV tender) for strike or other roles.

I do not know how the actual unit costs and maintainance costs of the two aircraft compare. But it seems from the above analysis that the F-18 fit's the IAF's requirements much more than the F-16.

Last edited:
The F-16 is a true multi-role fighter and fares well in both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat. Lockheed Martin claims that some stealth features have been integrated into the F-16 from the F-22 and F-35. Of course this doesn't mean that the F-16 is stealth, but maybe it has a lower RCS. PAF has been operating the F-16 for years and know the aircraft inside out. Of course, this does not mean that the F-16 will not be selected as Chinese acquisition of the Su-30MKK did not deter the IAF from ordering similar Su-30s. Anyway, Lockheed Martin says that the F-16s offered to India are more advanced than the ones supplied to the PAF.

The F-18SH (my pick between the two) is again a multi-role fighter (obviously) and was developed to meet a requirement of the U.S. Navy for a single aircraft that can carry out the roles of carrier group defence as well as strike. The F-18 is adept at both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat. An added bonus for the F-18SH is the Growler variant which will be a valuable asset to any airforce in SEAD missions. However, I am not sure if the Growler is offered to India, but I sure hope it is.

Let's see what combat aircraft the IAF currently have or will have in the near future:
1. Su-30MKI - primarily an air superiority fighter, but can be used in multiple roles.
2. MiG-29 - again primarily an air-superiority fighter.
3. Dassault Mirage - a multi-role fighter, adept at both air-to-air and air-to-ground.
4. MiG-21 - the old soviet interceptor, but has been upgraded several times and is now capable of multiple roles.
5. Tejas - set to replace the MiG-21 and expected to get IOC in December. But Tejas is just to fill a shortage in fighter squadrons and will most probably be used for point defence.
6. Jaguar - strike aircraft.
7. MiG-27 - strike aircraft.

Forget about the MiG-29, Mirage, MiG-21, Jaguar and MiG-27. They are quite old (especially the last three) and will soon be phased out. So that leaves us with...

1. Su-30MKI - air superiority
2. Tejas - point defence

So now we see that the IAF lacks strike aircraft.

THE COMPARISON:

1. From the above analysis, my bet is an aircraft's strike capability will be given prime importance in the MRCA competition. Here, the F-18SH can offer much more than the F-16 and is often called a "bomb truck". Score one for the super bug!!!

2. The F-18 is a twin-engined fighter, but can fly on a single engine in case one experiences engine failure or similar engine trouble. The F-16 of course is single engined. So I guess this gives the F-18SH a definite advantage in survivability. Another point for the F-18!

3. The F-18SH is carrier capable, so it is built to handle the stresses of carrier operations. So it will most probabily be much more sturdier than the F-16. Again an advantage for the SH.

4. Another advantage for the Super Hornet is for SEAD missions as I had mentioned above. I am not sure if the Growlers are offered to India, but still it's a bonus for the F-18SH.

5. Now let's look at after sales support. The F-16 is primarily used by the USAF while the F-35 is the mainstay of the US Navy. Both the USAF and the US Navy plan to induct the new F-35. According to wikipedia, the USAF is planning to retire a major part of it's combat fleet of which the F-16 forms quite a large part. As far as I know, the USAF hasn't ordered any new F-16s. So here comes the problem. How long will the F-16 production line be open? Will we have a shortage of spares? Of course this can be resolved if the entire production line is shifted in India as was once offered for the F-5 (if I am not mistaken). But then again, is there the scope for upgrades? Remember that the IAF is not looking for a temporary stopgap, but is expecting to operate the MRCA aircraft for a long time (upto 2040?). The F-18SH on the other hand will be used for a long time even after the F-35 induction as is apparent from the huge recent order. Again, we can rest assured that there will be no dirth of upgrades or spares for the F-18SH.

6. PAF does not operate F-18s whereas they operate F-16s. Though not a definitive factor, it is still a small advantage for the F-18.

7. There have been reports that the F-35 has been offered as replacements in the future if the F-16 is selected for the MRCA contract. However, I highly doubt this will tilt the decision in favour of the F-16, especially since the F-35 is still under development and the IAF need these aircraft fast. Again, I doubt if the US will be willing to offer ToT or production in India for their latest state of the art fighter. However, it would provide commonality with the Indian Navy, if the F-35 is selected for our future carriers. Again, we must ask ourselves whether the IAF really needs the F-35. We will have the PAK FA for air-superiority and possibly the AMCA and AURA (or the winner of the new stealth UCAV tender) for strike or other roles.

I do not know how the actual unit costs and maintainance costs of the two aircraft compare. But it seems from the above analysis that the F-18 fit's the IAF's requirements much more than the F-16.

let me respond

1. i don't know the details but if the a2g ability of SH is much better then thats a plus.
2. how often do you hear of engines giving out on an f16. i don't think twin engined is a plus. if anything, the spare costs and maintenance are nightmarish.
3. sturdier? that just makes no sense at all.
5. f16 is used by everyone under the sun. there is going to be no spare shortage.
6. i think having a superior f-16 gives a direct morale advantage to IAF. our pilots will know all the tactics and also have superior radars and numbers.
7. i think Lockheed is the better company to work with in the long run for the air force. they've been building all the recent cutting edge US stuff.

my own opinion is that if the SH costs exceed f-1 by anything more than 25-30% on the whole (over lifecycle), we are better off buying more f-16s with that money.

f-16 is the most tested platform around.

Last edited:
i think having a superior f-16 gives a direct morale advantage to IAF. our pilots will know all the tactics and also have superior radars and numbers.

Everything else is fine. But Just a Radar advantage is not enough for IAF to buy F-16. Consider F-16 IN facing F-16 blk 52. Who knows the F-16 better, Iam sure we know PAF knows better than IAF.

They have been operating this since 80s, and even we get them now, we will have no tactical advantage above then. In actual compabt experieence matters too.

^^^^^^^^^

Given the Fact that Gripen totally messed up by not having a proper prototype sent to the trials.

True, but the Mig 35 prototypes that was send to the trials were also no near prototypes, but upgraded Mig 29Ks only. If the real Mig 35 will be different, the Russians must be out of the competition too. But if they propose just an upgraded Mig 29K, because of the less time they have for development, the specs will highly differ from those that are available on the net (weight, payload, T/W ratio, weapon stations...), which makes it even less comparable to the other contenders.

I would prefer the Rafale ,
but the F-18's are more cost effective(we could get an LCA for every SH we get as opposed to a Rafale which is 30 million dollars more expensive) ,
smarter politically(Indo-US ties weigh more than Indo-French) ,
On time delivery with no cost escalations ,
Fit's in with Boeing's greater strategy in India( so more investment from Boeing Into India).

I agree to your points, except to cost-effectiveness and on time delivery. The latter is offered by Dassault too and they even offer early delivery of 40 fighters if we want.
When it comes to costeffectiveness, I am still undecided!
No doubt that MICA EM/METEOR and AASM are more expensive than AIM 120, or Paveway LGB/JDAM, but for the F18SH we need to set up a complete new logistic line, because IAF hardly have some Paveway bombs and maybe Harpoon missiles now. That means additional costs that one must take to account for the US side (or those fighters that mainly use US weapons) too!
The French on the other side will use the same weapons that will be in IAF from the Mirage 2000 upgrade onwards, so more expensive per piece, but no additional costs.
But that's not all! The US don't offer the integration of Indian weapons, unlike European fighters like Rafale, or Gripen. So instead of using the costlier foreign weapons only, we could use cheaper Indian alternatives too (Indian LGB instead of US Paveway LGB/LJDAM, or AASM). For high value targets, the foreign ammo could be used, if they offer advantages, but for normal targets, cheaper Indian LGBs would be more cost-effective. So if a Rafale, will use mainly I LGB and keep AASM only as a more capable alternative, will the F18SH still be more cost-effective in terms of weapons?
I have some doubts here, but as long as I don't know the exact costs, I prefer to say I don't know.

Similar can be said in terms of spares too, the F18SH spares will be completelly US license build, or provided parts. The Rafale on the other hand offers Kaveri-Snecma engine integration, which would add a level of customisation and indigenous techs, that nobody else can offer. By the fact that the main engine parts was developed in India anyway, the costs for R&D, as well as production will be clearly lower, than a licence produced GE 414 could be. Not to forget, that if a engine upgrade for the F18SH is needed, we have to fund it too, which means additional costs for a foreign engine, instead of our own.
Another advantage would be, that we could not only build the engine in India, but if we further develope it, could integrate these changes directly to the Rafale too and don't have to wait for a foreign manufacturer to make upgrades every 10, or 15 years.

So, on paper of course the F18SH seems to be more cost-effective, but that differs from country to country and a customised Rafale could turn out to have comparable costs, maybe even less.

Rafale to its end will give use much better ToT including source code for their AESA radar.

But ToT on the SH still meets the Tender requirements , But does not seem to go over and above as the French has chosen to do.

It's not only the pure ammount of ToT that is important, the point is of what! For example, if Boeing offers 80% ToT of airframe, will our industry improve form that ToT? Rafale on the other side, seems to be offered with AESA radar ToT + source codes, and even if they would offer only 40% of it, our industry would gain much more of it for future radar developments right?
As you can see, the US fighters might fulfill the minimum ToT requirements (just like Gripen), but the important point is, of which parts, or techs? I expect Rafale and EF to offer the best in this fields, because they developed radar, engine, or the avionics by themself and are not bound to any restrictions. Be it the ammount, or the quality of ToT, they should be the best choice.

Of course, this does not mean that the F-16 will not be selected as Chinese acquisition of the Su-30MKK did not deter the IAF from ordering similar Su-30s.

Several people says that, but I would request to look at both cases a bit closer!
The most important reason why we chose the MKI was the advantage of licence production and ToT to produce all parts in India, which gives us more confidence about spare supply. PLAAFs Su 27 and Su 30MKK were build in Russia, so no matter that they bought similar fighters too, we had a clear advantage.
The F16IN also will be licence produced in India, but it's not clear which parts and if the important parts like radar, or avionics will only be assembled in India. So although we have an advantage over PAF with licence production, the spare supply, especially in war times, or during sanctions will not be as easy compared to the MKI.

Yes, the Su 30 MKK has the same design, the same engine and the same weapons as our MKI and except of the engine, that will be the same case with F16 in PAF and F16IN. But, PAF has 30 years of experience with F16s, PLAAF instead procured the first Su 27 SKs in the early 90s, while IAF get the first Su 30MKs in the mid 90s. That gives PLAAF hardly a superiority in terms of confidence, or tactics with that fighter. PAF instead, knows any advantages, as well as weak points and have a clear experience advantage with that fighter, which clearly reduced the advantage of more capable techs in the F16IN. It still might have slight advantages, but very less compared to the advantages other contenders would offer.

Last edited:
Everything else is fine. But Just a Radar advantage is not enough for IAF to buy F-16. Consider F-16 IN facing F-16 blk 52. Who knows the F-16 better, Iam sure we know PAF knows better than IAF.

They have been operating this since 80s, and even we get them now, we will have no tactical advantage above then. In actual compabt experieence matters too.

i agree to a certain extent. maybe someone who is with the air force can clarify. we won't have operating experience with any of these aircraft straight away.

my hunch is still that a superior(significantly?) version of the same aircraft will become a morale advantage.

the minus is that Lockheed can hold IAF to ransom by giving pakistan cheaper upgrades.

this is just part of the argument though. i'd probably buy the SH if the lifetime costs were the same. but i think it costs significantly more.

i agree to a certain extent. maybe someone who is with the air force can clarify. we won't have operating experience with any of these aircraft straight away.

But its sttill better to drive a Maruti when you know how to drive a Maruti isnt it?, Will you take your new Farrari to a race or the old baleno with which you have raced earlier?...point is We have been flying Sukhois for a decade now, and all that we have is a good airforce, you must know that from Red Flag and Cope India.

my hunch is still that a superior(significantly?) version of the same aircraft will become a morale advantage

Morale advantage is still not good compared to what has been tried and tested.

the minus is that Lockheed can hold IAF to ransom by giving pakistan cheaper upgrades.

A new point, very well thought.
But same could happen to F-18 too....so pretty much out of talk.

this is just part of the argument though. i'd probably buy the SH if the lifetime costs were the same. but i think it costs significantly more.

F-18 will always be better than F-16, its a bomb truck and life time costs will not be higher than F-16 and there are enough examples and moreover when you are buying only 18 and rest producing, you always bring it down.

But its sttill better to drive a Maruti when you know how to drive a Maruti isnt it?, Will you take your new Farrari to a race or the old baleno with which you have raced earlier?...point is We have been flying Sukhois for a decade now, and all that we have is a good airforce, you must know that from Red Flag and Cope India.

Morale advantage is still not good compared to what has been tried and tested.

i didn't get your point. what i am saying is that we don't have experience with either f16 or superhornet.

A new point, very well thought.
But same could happen to F-18 too....so pretty much out of talk.
it won't happen with F18, because f18 is built by boeing which doesn't supply fighters to pak.

F-18 will always be better than F-16, its a bomb truck and life time costs will not be higher than F-16 and there are enough examples and moreover when you are buying only 18 and rest producing, you always bring it down.

maybe its been discussed and agreed upon, but my impression is that superhornet is significantly more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom