What's new

Dalit writer assaulted for ‘anti-Hindu’ writings

The_Showstopper

Reaction score
Country
India
Dalit writer assaulted for ‘anti-Hindu’ writings

BENGALURU: Amid continuing countrywide protests by writers over "rising intolerance", a young dalit activist and writer was allegedly attacked by unidentified men whom he suspects to be right-wing activists, for his "anti-Hindu" writings at Davangere in central Karnataka.

Huchangi Prasad, a 23-year-old student and author of a book "Odala Kichchu" which speaks against the caste system, alleged that he was assaulted on Wednesday and threatened that his fingers would be cut for writing against Hinduism.

"On October 21, late night, a group of eight to nine people came to SC/ST hostel where I reside and told me that my mother was unwell. Worried, I followed them. They took me to a place and started threatening and assaulting me for writing against Hinduism and caste system," Prasad told PTI.

Prasad, a journalism student, alleged, "They also smeared kumkum on my face and threatened to cut my fingers for my writings."

Prasad said he received some minor injuries in the attack, adding, "They (the attackers) said I'm born as dalit, because of sins I had committed in my previous life."

Asked whether the men belonged to any particular group, Prasad said, "From their words it was almost clear that they are from some right-wing group but I'm not completely sure."

READ ALSO:
Outspoken scholar Kalburgi gunned down at his doorstep

A case has been registered against unidentified people at RMC Yard police station in this regard. Police said they are on a lookout for the suspects.

"A complaint was filed by Prasad yesterday (Thursday) alleging eight to ten people had attacked him and attempted to kill him," a police official involved in the investigation said.

He said case has been registered under various sections of Indian Penal Code, including 307 (attempt to murder), as also under sections of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

The incident has occurred at a time when at least 35 writers from across the country have announced their decision to return their Sahitya Akademi awards to protest the "rising intolerance" in the country and the killing of Kannada writer and rationalist MM Kalburgi at Dharwad in north Karnataka.

READ ALSO:
Writers march in protest ahead of Sahitya Akademi meeting

Another Kannada free thinker and writer KS Bhagwan had also received threats for his remarks against Hinduism and its deities which the right-wing groups saw as "offensive" and "provocative" hurting Hindu sentiments.

The writers facing threats have been provided security after the killing of Kalburgi who was shot dead at point blank range by two men, who are still at large, in August.

Dalit writer assaulted for ‘anti-Hindu’ writings - The Times of India

Hindutva turds at it again.... Dalits should be supported in their quest for civil rights .....

The indian chief just called Dalits; dogs so what else you can expect

He is lucky that he is living in India.

In Bangladesh and other Islamic nations, secular writers and atheists get hacked to death on a regular basis.

Washiqur Rahman: Another secular blogger hacked to death in Bangladesh

'In March, Washiqur Rahman, 27, was hacked to death by two men with knives and meat cleavers just outside his house as he headed to work at a travel agency in the capital, Dhaka.

In 2014, Reporters Without Borders reported that a group calling itself Defenders of Islam in Bangladesh had published a "hit list" of writers it saw as opposing Islam.

"They listed 84 bloggers, mostly secularists. They listed 84 of them," said blogger Asif Mohiuddin, whose name was on the list. "Nine of them are already killed and many of the were attacked."'

From CNN

Back
Top Bottom